Essien Red Card Appealed

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that they should appeal for some consistency from referees at least. Tackles like Stephen Hunt's on Fernandes get away with a yellow card, whilst contact with an elbow gets a red. If you ask me, its the former which is the more dangerous.

It is never going to get taken back but i can understand why the club do it. BlueLion is right, a bit of consistancy wouldn't go amiss, the fact that far worse challenges do not receive the same punishment, our red cards this season have all been very flimsy especially compared to other challenges that received less (i.e. Kuyt, Hunt ect....)

I think bar Essiens' our red cards this season have been unjust. Drogba had every right to challenge for the ball and contact was obviously accidental as his eyes were on the ball, and don't get me going on Mikel's "foul". I just think referees seriously have it in against us.

Setanta

Essien appeal shown the red card The FA have rejected Chelsea’s appeal against the red card shown to Michael Essien during Saturday teatime’s 2-0 win over Derby.Referee Andre Marriner dismissed Essien in injury time when the Ghana international seemingly lashed out at Derby striker Kenny Miller. Marriner’s decision prompted exuberant protests from Chelsea players, particularly from returning skipper John Terry. However, Chelsea’s request for the red card to be overturned has been dismissed and, as a result, Essien will be forced to serve a three-game ban. The tireless midfielder will now miss the Premier League games against West Ham, Sunderland and Arsenal.
There you go now :rolleyes:

Was an absolute waste of time appealing anyway. If anything, the only thing that'll come from it is that now yet another decision against us has been upheld, the refs have even more scope because they know they'll always get the FA's backing. Besides, if we're going to appeal against justified decisions, it gives a lot less weight against the unjust ones - starts to look like you're playing the victim imo.