Scolari eyes January deals

the wes

Chelsea boss Luiz Felipe Scolari has revealed he intends to make changes to his squad in January.

Chelsea have allowed six players to leave the club this summer – Claude Makelele, Tal Ben-Haim, Andriy Shevchenko, Claudio Pizarro, Steve Sidwell and Shaun Wright-Phillips – but have only brought in Jose Bosingwa and Deco.

The club had hoped to sign Robinho from Real Madrid, but the player joined Manchester City in a dramatic deadline day move.

And Scolari says he will be looking to make changes to the side during the January transfer window once he has a full appreciation of the qualities of his squad.

"I wanted up to 25, not 23, because we have new rules from Uefa and I need to put some players from the academy and from England, so I need a balance," he told The Times.

"I am still getting to know the squad.

"When I arrived, I had 28, 29, 30 players, but now I choose 25.

"In January, maybe, I'll have one more player in, or one or two leaving. Now I know the balance of the team, what I need if I have injuries here or there.

"Before, I didn't know very well what was happening with the players.

"In the future, we'll change one or two players. That's normal. All of the coaches in the world, when they arrive, assess the players.

"After that, my idea is better to buy one player for this position or sell one from that position."

setanta.com

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did inexperience of managing a European club show up here? I think it did. Always have a back up player.

And as for players being cup tied, thats true. But I hope we bring in a player who gets to play the Champions league, not much bothered about the domestic cup.s

Did inexperience of managing a European club show up here? I think it did. Always have a back up player.

And as for players being cup tied, thats true. But I hope we bring in a player who gets to play the Champions league, not much bothered about the domestic cup.s

Well, yeah, he's inexperienced with the transfer window. Give the guy a break!

I am certain Kez was referring to the Champions League when she talked of cup tied.

i wounder if we will play a game in jan and say we want some players we dont to see if city will go 30mill we will have him!

£550billion as a 'conservative estimate' these blokes are playing with - they could snap up the top four's squads if they fancy it, lol. Thats some serious pocket money they've got between them.

£550billion as a 'conservative estimate' these blokes are playing with - they could snap up the top four's squads if they fancy it, lol. Thats some serious pocket money they've got between them.

That 550 odd billion is UAE's soeverign wealth fund to fund the infrastructure of the country. Lets see how big a club they can be. The talks by that Wanna be Roman are over the top. Lets see how they pan out.