Keegan leaves Newcastle again

Gianfranco_Z

He's gone:BBC Sport

Kevin Keegan has resigned as manager of Newcastle United after just eight months in charge.

The announcement follows lengthy talks between the 57-year-old and the board.

"I've been working desperately hard to find a way forward with the directors, but sadly that has not proved possible," Keegan said in a statement.

"It's my opinion that a manager must have the right to manage and that clubs should not impose upon any manager any player that he does not want."

Keegan's resignation comes after three days of intense speculation about his future.

The former England boss made clear his feelings about the club's summer transfer activity at a meeting with the board on Monday, the day the summer transfer window closed. o.gif

Following those talks, he was again summoned by the hierarchy on Tuesday as strong rumours of his imminent exit surfaced.

Amid protests by angry fans outside St James' Park, the club was forced to deny it had sacked him, while the League Managers' Association insisted he had not resigned and that talks would continue.

However, in a statement released by the LMA late on Thursday, Keegan announced his departure from the club for a second time.

He added: "It remains my fervent wish to see Newcastle United do well in the future and I feel incredibly sorry for the players, staff and most importantly the supporters.

"I have been left with no choice other than to leave."

The LMA statement read: "The letter which Kevin received today from managing director Derek Llambias has failed to resolve the matters in issue between him and the club and accordingly he feels he has no alternative other than to resign." o.gif

Keegan returned for a second spell as manager in January, to the delight of an adoring faithful on Tyneside.

He led the Magpies to safety last season and the club had made a solid start to this season - but Keegan had become increasingly unhappy with the club's management structure.

Shortly after appointing Keegan, chairman Mike Ashley brought in Dennis Wise as a "football-related" executive director while Tony Jimenez was appointed vice-president of player recruitment.

Keegan's departure comes only a day after Alan Curbishley quit his position at West Ham over his lack of control over transfer policy at Upton Park.

At what turned out to be Keegan's last game in charge at Arsenal on Saturday, Ashley stood with the fans wearing a 'King Kev' shirt.

But many supporters are now directing their anger at the chairman following the departure of a man who has been idolised on Tyneside since he led them to promotion to the top flight as a player in 1982.

Keegan took over as manager for the first time in 1992, once again leading them back to the top flight before narrowly missing out on the title in 1995.

Less than two years later, Keegan stunned the sport by resigning, saying he had taken the club as far as he could. His return in January this year was hailed by the Newcastle fans as the "return of the Messiah", but just eight months later, he handed in his resignation for a second time.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

King Kev what a hero! Done wonders for that club. Ashley hasn't got a clue! Looks like ol Dennis Wise will be the next gaffer!

Keegan would be a hero up there even if he got them relegated! He hasn't done anything great with them, lost more games than won!

Can't help but keep laughing at the fan on SSN having a pop at Mike Ashley because he drinks non alcoholic lagar at the Emirates!!! :)

Guest Lampards Bitch

Watchin Skysports News. HOW BLOODY STUPID ARE THE BARCODE FANS. Keegan always jumps ship when the going gets tough, like he did with Fulham. He was a great player but never ever manager material. Newcastle's title hope was a once in a blue moon thing (I would really really love it!). And why blame Wisey? I think they would do alright is Dennis became manager.

OOOh and on West Ham Zola is 14/1 to be manager?! Vialli in there too lol

Guest Lampards Bitch

2 geordies dressed as Batman and Robin......... saying 'we heard there was a Joker around here and we've come to sort it out' pah-lese!!!!

Guest Lampards Bitch

Why dont the Newcastle fans just get the fuck on with it. They were shit with Keegan, they are still shit with out him. So if a new manager comes in are they going to get behind him? Probs not. They need to get behind their players now. Managers come and go , we know that as Chelsea supporters, but the club is around for ever.

They are bloody stupid if you as me.