Tiemoue Bakayoko

the wes

2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

a little time and patience will see him still develop into the player we all hope he will be.

Agree ith all you say but it just seems to me we dont give this time and patience to enough players. Theres some who get a couple of minutes here and there and not seen again. But we cant argue Baks has been diabolical some games yet out he trots the next game.

I'm all for 2nd chances but not a believer in blind faith.

Yes the past 2 games hes had odd moments but I'd upgrade him in a heartbeat.

10 hours ago, manpe said:

Not bad today, his 2nd best game after United. Did simple things but at least didn't noticeably fuck up, so well played son. :clap:

Does no one remember his debut? Bossed it against Tottenham on one leg.

3 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

Agree ith all you say but it just seems to me we dont give this time and patience to enough players. Theres some who get a couple of minutes here and there and not seen again. But we cant argue Baks has been diabolical some games yet out he trots the next game.

I'm all for 2nd chances but not a believer in blind faith.

Yes the past 2 games hes had odd moments but I'd upgrade him in a heartbeat.

Agreed but with Drinkwater and Fabregas out injured we don't have much choice but to play him at the moment. Conte has played 3 in midfield a lot this season too and we just haven't had enough midfielders fit to drop him.

I personally think we look so much better in a 3-4-3 and our players are more suited to it. Reverting back to that formation will likely give chances to rest him when others are back fit.

1 minute ago, Kieran. said:

Does no one remember his debut? Bossed it against Tottenham on one leg.

Hardly bossed it. He did very well considering the circumstances (debut, derby, new league, no pre-season, recovered from injury), but overall it was not of bossing standard.

1 minute ago, Unionjack said:

YES! But hes not right for a 343 tho dont you think? We beed someone there much more creative with Kante.I'm truly hoping Rossy will cut it.

Yeah he definitely isn't. It can work against weak opponents, but imagine this midfield against true powerhouses. It would be same old same old - constantly soaking pressure and unable to keep possession or do anything creative with it. If we want to evolve in our style of play then playing Kante and Baka together won't achieve that.

7 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

YES! But hes not right for a 343 tho dont you think? We beed someone there much more creative with Kante.I'm truly hoping Rossy will cut it.

I think a Bakayoko that played for Monaco last season would be suited to it, but he's nowhere near that level currently.

I also don't think it completely depends on those two, but other players around them too.

If the intention is for two midfielders who can get around the pitch, up and down, pressing and breaking up play, then I agree you need creativity in there too somewhere. But two in midfield gives the two in front complete freedom to drift around. I know Brighton are hardly a great team but Willian and Hazard seemed to flourish today having the freedom to float around and come deep at times to pick the ball up. 

There should also be a creative expectation on the wing backs to create chances too.

At the moment, I don't think its just our midfield but other areas of the pitch that also need either improving or tactically tweaking to get more. 

At the moment, I don't think its just our midfield but other areas of the pitch that also need either improving or tactically tweaking to get more. 

TOTALLY. And we like building up from the back - alot of times passing to WBs. But I would happily donate my dangleys for a proper B2B CM. I know another Lamps would be hard to find but wouldn't that be perfect. We need creativity all over the pitch but you'r right. last season when Eden/Willi/Pedro was roaming all over wherever needed they couldn't be marked let alone 2 and 3 on him.But teams expected it at the end and formatted accordingly. Why Contes been so liquid in changing it thru the game.

We could be right back on top ith 3/4 upgrades.

7 minutes ago, Unionjack said:

TOTALLY. And we like building up from the back - alot of times passing to WBs. But I would happily donate my dangleys for a proper B2B CM. I know another Lamps would be hard to find but wouldn't that be perfect. We need creativity all over the pitch but you'r right. last season when Eden/Willi/Pedro was roaming all over wherever needed they couldn't be marked let alone 2 and 3 on him.But teams expected it at the end and formatted accordingly. Why Contes been so liquid in changing it thru the game.

We could be right back on top ith 3/4 upgrades.

I agree. For me Kante is the best around with regards to what he does and his abilities allow us to play a two man midfield and not be overrun by three man midfields which of course gives us more options higher up the pitch.

A world class B2B would be perfect for us, and in theory having spent £75m in the summer on Drinkwater and Bakayoko that could have been done, whilst retaining Loftus Cheek as an extra option for midfield or even digging our heels in and keeping Chalobah for another year (seeing as we sold him for such a measly fee anyway). 

I'm also a fan of Alonso given how well he's done under such little expectations and how Moses has developed but there are clearly better options available on both wing back sides which could have been addressed properly in the summer too. I think two world class full backs/wing backs would also make a big difference.

47 minutes ago, manpe said:

Hardly bossed it. He did very well considering the circumstances (debut, derby, new league, no pre-season, recovered from injury), but overall it was not of bossing standard.

Lol he was awesome that game my mans.

in theory having spent £75m

Must say that I did have hopes for Baks very early eason but it makes you wonder where we would be now with that spent on a B2B but they dont grow on trees so I hope we haven't stopped looking. I dont know what the answer is about Baks and Waterboy apart from selling them but I cant see that happening in a hurry. I'm not a hater of either of our WBs as they both have their moments and with an unknown budget in the summer window upgrading them is unsure. But with Edens future more than likely in Spain shortly his fees will have to help finance not only his replacement but others too.

But lets build that Bridge when we get there.

10 hours ago, Unionjack said:

Must say that I did have hopes for Baks very early eason but it makes you wonder where we would be now with that spent on a B2B but they dont grow on trees so I hope we haven't stopped looking. I dont know what the answer is about Baks and Waterboy apart from selling them but I cant see that happening in a hurry. I'm not a hater of either of our WBs as they both have their moments and with an unknown budget in the summer window upgrading them is unsure. But with Edens future more than likely in Spain shortly his fees will have to help finance not only his replacement but others too.

But lets build that Bridge when we get there.

I think the biggest issue with upgrading our wing backs at the moment is the uncertainty with Conte. Because there wasn't great commitment in the summer, the club may have felt it was too risky to spend lots of money on wing backs only for Conte to leave and a new manager wanting to revert to a back 4. Alonso and Moses are not capable enough defensively to play as full backs week in week out (they could fill in sometimes but shouldn't be regulars). Zappacosta would be the same also.

Therefore the club needs to be careful with this. Ideally buying players which are capable of playing as both a full back and wing back will be the best solution but again I don't think there are huge numbers around that are available and can play both roles so effectively.

21 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

new manager wanting to revert to a back 4

I think there lies a big problem of ours

Each time we bring in a new manager thru the revolving door they alter the team to suit their style. Instead of getting one who will suit our system.

But until Roman gives trust,faith and commitment to one who will stay over 2 years it just wont happen.