Extended contract for Bridge

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wayne Bridge has signed a new four-year contract with the club, which will run until 2012.

Bridge, who made 19 appearances last season, signed for the club in the summer of 2003, and is delighted to have put pen to paper.

'I'm just happy, I love it here, all the lads, staff, everything, so I'm happy to be here, hopefully for the four years,' he exclusively told Chelsea TV.

In total, the left-back has made 130 appearances for the club, scoring four times. He also spent time on loan with Fulham prior to the 2005/6 World Cup, turning out 12 times for our west London neighbours.

New manager Felipe Scolari was pleased Bridge has opted to stay at Stamford Bridge. He said: 'I am very pleased for Wayne that he has committed his future to Chelsea. I have been here only a few days, but I have seen that he is one of the best professionals at the club. I very much like his playing style.'

Bridge actually signed the contract last month, prior to Scolari's arrival at Chelsea, however the deal was signed with the Brazilian's knowledge. The decision was taken to wait until now to announce the deal as we preferred the manager to be settled and working first.

Chief executive Peter Kenyon has also spoken on the 27-year-old's new contract.

'We are delighted that Wayne has committed himself to Chelsea for the next four years. He is a key member of our squad and is relishing the challenge of the arrival of a new manager.

'We are fortunate at Chelsea that we have the two best left-backs in England and it is a source of pride for us. Wayne's new deal also underlines the club's commitment to maintaining a strong English core to our squad.'

To see the full Wayne Bridge interview, tune in to Blues News at 6.30pm.

Source: Chelsea FC

Wayne will be remembered for two things at Chelsea: one, for scoring that goal against Arsenal, and two, for being a proper professional. It's difficult to be second choice to a colleague at both club and international player, but Wayne is a very determined and reliable player who is a fantastic asset to the squad. Brilliant to hear he is staying put.

Wayne will be remembered for two things at Chelsea: one, for scoring that goal against Arsenal, and two, for being a proper professional. It's difficult to be second choice to a colleague at both club and international player, but Wayne is a very determined and reliable player who is a fantastic asset to the squad. Brilliant to hear he is staying put.

Wayne is a fantastic asset to us. When he plays he always performs well, he gets forward so well and can put some great crosses in. His defensive side isn't as good as Cole's but that is why he is backup. He will get plenty of games this season i am sure.

He's bound to, with LFS hoping to play more attacking football, his chances of becoming a regular are equal to Cole's, I would assume.

I wouldn't say equal to Cole's. Ashley is excellant going forward too and will be given more freedom to do that now i would think. Cole really came into supberb form for us last season and i don't think there are many if any better than him.

I wouldn't say equal to Cole's. Ashley is excellant going forward too and will be given more freedom to do that now i would think. Cole really came into supberb form for us last season and i don't think there are many if any better than him.

When I say equal, I don't mean equal as a player, I mean he has an equal chance of being picked. No doubt he will get his chances early in the season and knowing Bridge, he'll most likely perform well and offer Felipao a big decision to make about the left back position.

fantastic news, always like Bridgey as a Lb, he's better coming forward than Ash imo. great pace, great crossing. fab player

Glad we've secured this new 4 yr contract.

my sentiments exactly mate, and he's been treated like shit, for me he's the best left back in the country, well pleased he's staying.

regards: JBD