Filipe Luís

Jase

I wasn't expecting that at all. I was like... 'where did it come from?'

I still think he's somewhat of a liability defensively, so playing away against teams that will attack us, even Iva and his crazy stuff makes more sense because I feel like Iva harass opposition more than he does, is firmer, and stronger.

But we don't actually face many teams that attack us much, do we?

I think most home games, especially against team that play more defensively than average, he's the key.

Mourinho said after the Hull game that he went with Luís because we didn't have Cesc and the team needed someone to produce something else in the attack. So Mourinho is aware of it, but I do have a feeling he'll continue to pick Azpi and Iva even in the games where we should comfortably play Luís against teams that won't really threaten us offensively.

And as much as I want Luís to be part of the starting XI, if he doesn't improve his physical defending and 1 vs 1, I'm glad he isn't a regular. I already feel like we're exposed enough with Cahill playing far from his best form, we don't need a vulnerable FB in addition to that.

I wasn't expecting that at all. I was like... 'where did it come from?'

I still think he's somewhat of a liability defensively, so playing away against teams that will attack us, even Iva and his crazy stuff makes more sense because I feel like Iva harass opposition more than he does, is firmer, and stronger.

But we don't actually face many teams that attack us much, do we?

I think most home games, especially against team that play more defensively than average, he's the key.

Mourinho said after the Hull game that he went with Luís because we didn't have Cesc and the team needed someone to produce something else in the attack. So Mourinho is aware of it, but I do have a feeling he'll continue to pick Azpi and Iva even in the games where we should comfortably play Luís against teams that won't really threaten us offensively.

And as much as I want Luís to be part of the starting XI, if he doesn't improve his physical defending and 1 vs 1, I'm glad he isn't a regular. I already feel like we're exposed enough with Cahill playing far from his best form, we don't need a vulnerable FB in addition to that.

I agree. I said it a couple of pages back, against teams where we're going to have 60+% possession, Luis should play. His crossing, shooting and free-kick abilities means he is a more of an offensive threat than Azpilicueta and Ivanovic.

Some nice analysis by Pat Nevin even though he does suggest Luis, who was a key cog in arguably the best pressing team in the world, has only just learnt how to press lol

https://archive.org/details/AnalyseThatPatNevinFilipeLuisVDerbyCountyCoc2014-15Hd

I'm surprised he's being dismissed as a "liability defensively" after barely playing a dozen games for Chelsea. Like he doesn't need anytime to adapt to the team. The Filipe Luis I know, particularly from his Atleti days is NOT a defensive liability.

As good as Pat is, he tends to big up Chelsea. I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

What I think of Pat is that he is a nice guy and not one to really look for arguments. He's unlikely to be harsh with criticism and tries to look for the good in everything. I believe it's similar with other teams that he likes too

What I think of Pat is that he is a nice guy and not one to really look for arguments. He's unlikely to be harsh with criticism and tries to look for the good in everything. I believe it's similar with other teams that he likes too

Yeah possibly. I've only ever seen/heard him on Chelsea TV but I take it he has a soft spot for Everton and Celtic as well?

I'm surprised he's being dismissed as a "liability defensively" after barely playing a dozen games for Chelsea. Like he doesn't need anytime to adapt to the team. The Filipe Luis I know, particularly from his Atleti days is NOT a defensive liability.

I think he isn't there yet, and we can't afford his 'adaptation' with matches against those teams.

He's failed in all goals we've conceded coming from his side while he was playing for us in the EPL. I understand that as a liability as it stands, it's completely different from the liability Cahill offers though. Luís is better than this and he needs more time. Cahill overachieved last season, when a setup favored him and covered his limitations. Luís can still progress, but as it stands now, even the five games he played because of Azpili's suspension showed he has a way to go before he can be played there for us regardless of who we're facing.

Just because he's the most technical (maybe even the best) FB we have, doesn't mean he's ready to take part of the team in tougher matches. He isn't imo.

And I agree, his Atletico days show us how much a good defender he can be. Many people in Brazil see him as a defensive FB - based on how our FBs normally play. He also sees himself as more defensive.