Kurt Zouma hints at Chelsea move

Jase

Saint Etienne defender Kurt Zouma could be on his way to join Chelsea this summer after he claimed Jose Mourinho spoke with him last month in an interview with French paper L'Equipe.

Though under contract until 2017, the 19-year old French centre back has an agreement with the club that will allow him to leave this summer and has suggested that West London could be his next destination.

“There was advanced contact last month. At the start I thought it was a joke but afterwards I quickly took his call seriously."

“When a great man like Jose Mourinho calls a little player like Kurt Zouma, it’s nice. It doesn’t happen every day and it’s a big sign of respect and confidence.”

“If you tell me to go to Chelsea, I’ll go there immediately! Especially after the call from the coach. It’s given me ideas.”

Should Chelsea wish to get the defender, they would have to reportedly shell out £10 million for the France U-21 international. However despite the interest from the Blues, Zouma has not ruled out joining other club in his homeland.

"Why not a step up in France? For me, Saint-Etienne are already a big club. But after that, the top teams are Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco. It would be a good career plan. Abroad, it’s make or break. But it’s a risk worth taking.

"I won’t necessarily choose according to the league. It will depend on playing time and the state of mind of the coach and the squad."

Zouma will be available for selection once again after serving a 10-game ban for breaking Thomas Geurbert's leg of Sochaux last November as St. Etienne host Lille in Ligue 1 action this weekend.

Click here to view article

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Keeping in mind he's into a 10 match ban for breaking someone's leg (I don't know much about that incident but I'm guessing he must have shown some intent to do it, otherwise 10 matches seems a bit extreme.. Could probably bite someone for a 10 match ban...) he's got to have a bit of fire in his belly, which is a good thing for a centre back and maybe something Jose could harness.

I think he'd be a tidy bit of business in the summer and I can see him spending a season on loan (premier league side preferably) especially if JT gets his contract extended and taking into consideration he's supposed to be developing right now but he missed the first half of the season

I really think our next serious first team CB signing is going to be quite a surprise and I'm not ruling Mr. Zouma out

Edit: Spelling

Keeping in mind he's into a 10 match ban for breaking someone's leg (I don't know much about that incident but I'm guessing he must have shown some intent to do it, otherwise 10 matches seems a bit extreme.. Could probably bite someone for a 10 match ban...) he's got to have a bit of fire in his belly, which is a good thing for a centre back and maybe something Jose could harness.

I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion before actually seeing it:

There is now way he meant for that to happen. His momentum took him through the player and it was unfortunate because if Zouma's trailing leg or the opponent's leg was at any other angle it probably wouldn't have happened. You can say he wasn't really in control because of his momentum, but I think it's harsh to say he was completely reckless. It's not his fault that he's much bigger than his opponent either. Ok, he did jump of the ground a bit, but there's no intent there. 10 game ban is way too much for what looks like an honest accident from a very young player.

I wouldn't jump to such a conclusion before actually seeing it:

There is now way he meant for that to happen. His momentum took him through the player and it was unfortunate because if Zouma's trailing leg or the opponent's leg was at any other angle it probably wouldn't have happened. You can say he wasn't really in control because of his momentum, but I think it's harsh to say he was completely reckless. It's not his fault that he's much bigger than his opponent either. Ok, he did jump of the ground a bit, but there's no intent there. 10 game ban is way too much for what looks like an honest accident from a very young player.

Having seen the incident (my bad) looks like you're right, I can't see him having eyes for anything but the ball there, it was a forceful tackle, but the type we cheer In the prem, It looks like his momentum made it a bit rash but I think you hit the nail on the head there Mr. Mak

Having seen the incident (my bad) looks like you're right, I can't see him having eyes for anything but the ball there, it was a forceful tackle, but the type we cheer In the prem, It looks like his momentum made it a bit rash but I think you hit the nail on the head there Mr. Mak

It's no slight on you! It's the French FA who seem to have a problem. Maybe they wanted to set a precedent because he's young or something, I don't know.

I do think you've a great point when you talked about his determination though. Judging from that tackle alone he seems to have it and it's very important to have in a Mourinho team, especially in one so young.

We only have to look at KDB to see what happens when Mourinho's players don't have enough determination. Ok maybe he didn't get enough chances, but when he did get them he never really seemed to put his heart in it to make the manager think. He never really looked up for the fight. His appearance in December (A cup match I think? I'm not so sure.) made him look like his foot was already out the door.

It's no slight on you! It's the French FA who seem to have a problem. Maybe they wanted to set a precedent because he's young or something, I don't know.

I do think you've a great point when you talked about his determination though. Judging from that tackle alone he seems to have it and it's very important to have in a Mourinho team, especially in one so young.

We only have to look at KDB to see what happens when Mourinho's players don't have enough determination. Ok maybe he didn't get enough chances, but when he did get them he never really seemed to put his heart in it to make the manager think. He never really looked up for the fight. His appearance in December (A cup match I think? I'm not so sure.) made him look like his foot was already out the door.

Yeah I think the French FA have ballsed up a bit there, but like you say it shows some determination to go flying in there and that's the kind of thing Mourhinio's team build on, that 'never say die' attitude (that, it has to be said, Man UTD had under SAF).

He's been touted as a future captain of the French national side which Is saying a lot when you look at players like Varane & Pogba!

In terms of KDB I think you're right there, the lads got talent, can't argue with that and I think he could have made a serious push to get into the first team but something put José off and I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly that.

For instance Carlo Ancelotti said when he got to Real Madrid that he was amazed by Ronaldos work ethic which had been drilled into him by José, some players bend and become more complete (Mr Eden Hazard lately anyone?) and some break (ala KDB)

Sorry that's a little off topic guys

Yeah I think the French FA have ballsed up a bit there, but like you say it shows some determination to go flying in there and that's the kind of thing Mourhinio's team build on, that 'never say die' attitude (that, it has to be said, Man UTD had under SAF).

He's been touted as a future captain of the French national side which Is saying a lot when you look at players like Varane & Pogba!

In terms of KDB I think you're right there, the lads got talent, can't argue with that and I think he could have made a serious push to get into the first team but something put José off and I wouldn't be surprised if it was exactly that.

For instance Carlo Ancelotti said when he got to Real Madrid that he was amazed by Ronaldos work ethic which had been drilled into him by José, some players bend and become more complete (Mr Eden Hazard lately anyone?) and some break (ala KDB)

Sorry that's a little off topic guys

You're exactly right!

(right, we'll stop there now before we go too off topic! :D)

Saint Etienne defender Kurt Zouma could be on his way to join Chelsea this summer after he claimed Jose Mourinho spoke with him last month in an interview with French paper L'Equipe.

Though under contract until 2017, the 19-year old French centre back has an agreement with the club that will allow him to leave this summer and has suggested that West London could be his next destination.

“There was advanced contact last month. At the start I thought it was a joke but afterwards I quickly took his call seriously."

“When a great man like Jose Mourinho calls a little player like Kurt Zouma, it’s nice. It doesn’t happen every day and it’s a big sign of respect and confidence.”

“If you tell me to go to Chelsea, I’ll go there immediately! Especially after the call from the coach. It’s given me ideas.”

Should Chelsea wish to get the defender, they would have to reportedly shell out £10 million for the France U-21 international. However despite the interest from the Blues, Zouma has not ruled out joining other club in his homeland.

"Why not a step up in France? For me, Saint-Etienne are already a big club. But after that, the top teams are Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco. It would be a good career plan. Abroad, it’s make or break. But it’s a risk worth taking.

"I won’t necessarily choose according to the league. It will depend on playing time and the state of mind of the coach and the squad."

Zouma will be available for selection once again after serving a 10-game ban for breaking Thomas Geurbert's leg of Sochaux last November as St. Etienne host Lille in Ligue 1 action this weekend.

Click here to view article

"Jose spoke with him last month".....is`nt that tapping up?

Wait, how the hell did he get a 10 game suspension for that? If he was one of our players and I was watching that live (without knowing the other player got a broken leg as a result) I'd be roaring about what a great tackle it was, as would the rest of the stadium.

Can't say that I know much about this guy having not seen him play but is anyone who has watched him able to give any insight into how good he is now vs his potential? How close is to to Varane's level when Varane left for Madrid?

That tackle is reckless but he was always going for the ball, he even got to it. No way breaking the leg was his intention. You need some very bad luck to break your leg in that process.

btw would not mind him here. Even though I am not sure CB young CB should be priority right now. JT is aging out, so we might rather look for a experienced CB to replace him.