Lampard returns to training after mother's death

Milan

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard returned to training Sunday for the first time since his mother's death, suggesting he may be back to face Liverpool in the Champions League. After Pat Lampard died from pneumonia on Thursday at age 58, her son has been allowed to stay away from training and missed Saturday's 2-1 victory over Manchester United in the Premier League.

But he could now return for Wednesday's second leg of the Champions League semifinals against Liverpool, which is tied at 1-1.

A member of the Chelsea staff speaking on condition of anonymity told the Associated Press that Lampard participated in Sunday's training session and was touched by the outpouring of grief from the club.

Michael Ballack's opening goal on Saturday was celebrated by the squad holding a jersey emblazoned with Pat Lampard's name.

Chelsea did not immediately return calls Sunday.

sportsillustrated.cnn.com

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard this earlier and was quite surprised.

Still dont expect him to play on Wednesday but fair play to Frank if he feels hes ready to return.

Like in the first leg, I think he may feel his Mum would want him to play in this game and therefore if hes in the right frame of mind, let him. If he isnt, but wants to play, Avram has to be strong, and not allow him to.

for some reason....grant just dont take lamps out of games even if he plays badly....

he just cant say no to lampard

Lampard's a fans favourite, so he wins some points of popularity by doing it. And Lampard's one of the most consistent players I've seen, and on his day he can overplay anyone.

Just like Mourinho said, "Lampard on his day is the best player on the pitch, on his worst days he's one of the best, definitely not the worst"

-EDIT-

'I don't see how he can improve,' Mourinho said, 'because for me he is the best player in the world. I would not change Lampard for another player because he does everything. His defence is incredible, he can pass over a long distance, he can pass short. He can score over long distance, how can he improve?'

Edited by manpe

Just like Mourinho said, "Lampard on his day is the best player on the pitch, on his worst days he's one of the best, definitely not the worst"

-EDIT-

'I don't see how he can improve,' Mourinho said, 'because for me he is the best player in the world. I would not change Lampard for another player because he does everything. His defence is incredible, he can pass over a long distance, he can pass short. He can score over long distance, how can he improve?'

And those quotes, for me, sum up exactly what's wrong with Lampard - Mourinho built his confidence up a little too much.

There is absolutely no way Lampard is going to be mentally fit for this game.

We cannot afford to have players in this game that are not 100% up for it, its too big a game, let him have time off to grieve properly.

tbh i don't think he should return to action just yet.. alright he may feel upto it.. to take his mind off everything. But i can't see it working.

He really won't have a clear head and not only will it effect his performance, but it'll effect the teams overall performance aswell.

Not a good idea. I couldn't do it if i had just lost my mother. But in all fairness if he feels ready, then good luck to him. But we'll see how ready he really is when/IF he plays.