Will Mou switch to 4-3-3?

BlueLyon

Considering that he doesnt see Mata as long term integral player, is there a chance that we might start to play in 4:3:3?

We need to buy CM urgently, but both Rambo and Oscar would probably work even better in 3 man midfield.

------------Cech------------

Azpi----Terry--Luiz-----Cole

-----------Witsel?----------

------Rambo------Oscar------

Willian----Lukaku-----Hazard

Mou wants to play counter football and this would be ideal for our team. Not entirely sure about Willian though and we should see how Lukaku proceeds.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We already play 4-3-3 most of the time...

Cech-Tc

Ivan-Terry-Luiz-Cole

Rambo-Lampard-Oscar

Schurrle/Willian-CF-Hazard-Schurrle

For some reason, I think Jose going to give Lampard another deal and hes going to sign a new CF.

Our attacking transitions heavily resemble a 4-3-3 already. Don't think Jose will make the switch on paper though.

I dont understand why people think we play 4-2-3-1.. Maybe it's cause they dont watch the games and instead read the Transfermkt stats..

I dont understand why people think we play 4-2-3-1.. Maybe it's cause they dont watch the games and instead read the Transfermkt stats..

Usually, the initial structure of our formation resembles a 4-2-3-1, but it doesn't mean it's always like that. 4-2-3-1 is essentially a 4-3-3 permutation with a midfielder pushed forward so it really isn't that mind boggling to think we play in that formation.

Usually, the initial structure of our formation resembles a 4-2-3-1, but it doesn't mean it's always like that. 4-2-3-1 is essentially a 4-3-3 permutation with a midfielder pushed forward so it really isn't that mind boggling to think we play in that formation.

So... switching it on paper is different than switching it in real game?............

I already see plenty of 4-3-3 in our matches. Actually we've been switching into different formations (especially on defensive phases) very often this season and I'm not sure if that's because the tactics are yet to be completely absorbed and settled with the players or if it's purposeful on Mourinho's part.

But I've seen 4-3-3, 4-4-2, 5-3-2, 4-5-1 this season while defending - depending on the opponent and the match's scenario.

I think the 4-2-3-1 is easier to notice in attacking phases - although most times either Ramires or Lampard are quite high in the pitch as well, but we can clearly see the 4 lines when we're attacking (but not counter-attacking).

I also think all those changes during a match are welcoming and positive - as it complicates the opposition's life. Look at yesterday... Keller must have had a good talk with his players about how to be sharper and more narrow to break through our defense during half-time. He knew we were accepting their possession (although not promoting it) and trusting our ability to defend and hold them back. Then the second half starts and we have a completely different posture in the pitch and it seemed like it surprised them because in the second half they looked lost most time, not knowing what to do. So maybe Keller had a plan to put in action, but then the match restarted and he had yet another think coming.

Now seeing how drastically we changed in the second half, I think the way the players 'waited' for Schalke was more a natural reaction from them rather than a guidance from Mourinho - meaning he took his time during HT to fix what he wanted to fix. Either way those switches during matches - if well executed - are very positive imo. 4-3-3 is my fave formation for Chelsea and I can't complain about the '4-2-3-1' we have in place because many times during matches we switch to something else - 4-3-3 being one of the most common.

So... switching it on paper is different than switching it in real game?............

No, I'm not saying that, that was hjperdeath. I believe it's more correct to call it a 4-2-3-1. Like Barbara said, you can see in game, especially during the initial attacking phases if we aren't on the counter, that there are 4 banks of players - the defenders, the two behind the AM, the AM and the players flanking him and then the striker, where one can quite clearly see the 4-2-3-1 formation - but football isn't about statically sticking to one formation obviously.

We obviously switch to different permutations of that 4-2-3-1 in game during different types of transitions - e.g. When defending we could drop into a 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or whatever.

I think there's nothing wrong with calling the formation we play with a 4-2-3-1 because the three behind the striker tend to interchange the most anyway - you can often find Oscar on the flank, Hazard in the middle etc. It's not Lampard, Ramires and Oscar interchanging - if that was the case then yeah I'd agree in saying the formation we play is more of a 4-3-3.

Our attacking transitions heavily resemble a 4-3-3 already. Don't think Jose will make the switch on paper though.

Its what Jose said before even the season began...Standard 4-2-3-1 to start with, morph into a 4-3-3 (when needed) during attack, and defend as 4-5-1 (also when needed). And then there's the option of adding an extra striker...That seems to be the formula after watching recent games..