Stiliyan Petrov says John Terry is one of football's good guys

hjperdeath

If you asked most people for their list of football’s good guys then John Terry would probably not be a name that would figure.

Great player, courageous defender, ­captain, leader, legend if you are a Chelsea fan.

But a string of off-the-field scandals, feuds, alleged affairs, rows and arguments – plus those cringing pictures in full kit celebrating the Champions League after being banned in the final – leave his reputation more than soured for the rest of the game.

Talk to Stiliyan Petrov, ­however, and a ­different ­picture emerges.

When Aston Villa’s former midfield star was first diagnosed with acute leukaemia, Terry was the first rival Premier League ­captain to get in touch and wish him well.

And today the Chelsea star will underline his commitment to support Petrov’s recovery by flying to Glasgow to play at sold-out Celtic Park in support of his charities.

Petrov, currently in remission and planning to play at least part of the match ­himself, wants the world to know the softer side of a man who has become the game’s pantomime villain.

The Bulgarian said: “Before I was ill I knew John only from ­shaking hands ­before ­kick-off in ­matches, and as a fierce ­competitor.

“We had also met and talked at the ­meetings the ­Premier League hold for ­captains before the start of each ­season.

“But from the ­moment the news came out about my illness he was one of the first to get in touch and he has ­carried on being ­supportive ever since. He doesn’t ­always have an easy time with the fans, but I have seen a very different man to that image.

“He has gone out of his way to encourage me at different times – always sending ­messages and texts while I was going through treatment, even though sometimes it might have been a month before I felt strong enough to return them.

“When I was planning this game he was the first to sign up. I rang and asked if he could take part and he just said: ‘Tell me when and I’ll be there. Who wouldn’t want to play in the atmosphere of a sold-out Celtic Park?’”

Petrov’s courageous fight against leukaemia has drawn backing from ­players and fans from every club in the ­country, and the 34-year-old is now ­trying to put something back having launched his own ­?cancer c­harity.

And he admits he’s humbled by the ­response to his match which features a ­Celtic XI against a Stiliyan XI – with a line-up that includes singer Louis Tomlinson from One Direction.

LINK : http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/stiliyan-petrov-says-john-terry-2258711?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One good thing dont make him a good guy, he is still a scumbag for all the stuff he does off the field

Including the Harry Moseley charity, and they way youth players praise him, including what Bobby Tambling said and Joe Hart, the way he responds to letters ,I'd rather make my own mind up, than fall for the media propaganda. But then again, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I don't see him as a bad guy. People have done much worse stuff, and praised like gods, but as they say, one crime doesn't justify another. despite all the apparent bad things he has done, I still see him as a genuinely nice person to the one's who get the opportunity to meet him face to face.

Including the Harry Moseley charity, and they way youth players praise him, including what Bobby Tambling said and Joe Hart, the way he responds to letters ,I'd rather make my own mind up, than fall for the media propaganda. But then again, I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I don't see him as a bad guy. People have done much worse stuff, and praised like gods, but as they say, one crime doesn't justify another. despite all the apparent bad things he has done, I still see him as a genuinely nice person to the one's who get the opportunity to meet him face to face.

you cheat on your wife and kids you scum in my eyes

He gets a lot of hate for little reason yes.... The media also just love to get right on his back.

But John Terry is a scumbag whether you like it or not, he used to go to night clubs and shot money at doorman and bleh about how he is so rich and better than everyone.

He's probably matured since then but it doesn't hide the character he was, he was always arrogant and up his own arse, I love the man for what he's done for the club and he's one of the best players we've ever had here but as a person he isn't a great guy.

Nor do I. The media just love making these stories.

Never seen anyone saying anything about Giggs shagging his bro's wife.

Read a story somewhere he filed something that forbids any publication on his affair. That being said, it was written by a city fan so any truth to this story still has zero credibility

Read a story somewhere he filed something that forbids any publication on his affair. That being said, it was written by a city fan so any truth to this story still has zero credibility

IIRC isn't there a picture of him in the park with her? It's just that the media wouldn't dare say anything against him.

Either way JT is a great man!

http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/12166-dont-judge-a-book-by-its-cover-especially-john-terry/

^^^^^

Best post on Terry (not at all surprised that the English media never bothered publishing this)

People cheat everyday. Get over it.

Is Bill Clinton a scumbag? Matter of fact what does his personal life have to do with everyone elses?

Hell, didn't Lamps cheat on his previous partner as well.

Only thing you could fault him for is the racism saga and even that was a massive overreaction. A stupid and brief moment of madness while he was being baited. Didn't call him a *gger or monkey etc, just added the word black in front of c**t.

The rest of the hatred for him is just media narrative and brainwashing of simpletons.