A closer look at the 2008 Champions League final penalty shoot-out

hjperdeath

Interesting read, but it made me think about something.

If Cole had followed the advice, and shot his penalty towards his left side, MU probably would have never found about our strategy. Because after Kalou, not 5, as it says in the article, but every, all 6 of our penalties went to the same side, so that must be what made VdS aware something is up. Obviously he couldn't have known our real tactics, so he just probably thought our strategy is to always shoot to his left side. Had Cole chosen his unnatural side, VdS may not not have realised something is up, and the result could have been different. Damn. :(

Very true. We threw it away slowly.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Drogba redeemed himself but any analysis of that match must include the selfish impulsive actions of Didier that night.

It's just about the shoot-out and how Chelsea used game theory to give them a 100% chance of winning the game. Nothing more than that.

Haha guys I've gone viral. Over 50,000 reads in a day. I originally posted it on SportsKeeda , link http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/08/20/a-closer-look-at-the-2008-champions-league-final-penalty-shoot-out/ .

I've received phenomenal response. The youtube link of the penalties are flooded about game theory. :D

OK, I'm sorry, this is difficult for me.... But I'm confused as to how this all constitutes as "game theory". The four main points you bring up, are actually standard statistical/probabalistic observations that are used in penalty shootouts etc. Game Theory, as I understand it, is only a new and useful theory when you have to take into consideration the consequences of your move and your opponents' counter moves; and then seek out the optimal "path" in the tree of possibilities. It seems, to me, that the ONLY TIME in the situation you described above that there was some interesting Game Theory going on, was when VDS had a counter strategy. But seeing as how you suggest that we did not have any plan for such a "counter move", then there really wasn't any Game Theory being employed at all (except by VDS).

BTW I think game theory is fascinating. I'm just trying to understand how this usage is any different from the standard usage of probability and statistics. To me, Game Theory is a tool for making complicated decisions based on an array of possibilities from the opponent, using the fixed point theorem, Nash equilibira, payoff matrices, etc; where saying that "Generally if Ronaldo stops then he goes to this side" means we should just act on that information, is a bit less involved.

BTBTW I really loved this post when I first read it. And I still love it because I hope this sort of thought is always used.

Haha guys I've gone viral. Over 50,000 reads in a day. I originally posted it on SportsKeeda , link http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/08/20/a-closer-look-at-the-2008-champions-league-final-penalty-shoot-out/ .

I've received phenomenal response. The youtube link of the penalties are flooded about game theory. :D

Exceptional analysis, read the whole thing and thoroughly enjoyed it. Congrats on success:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXWbkbwDUr4