Chelsea Goal Of The Season 07-08

With over 100 goals already scored this season, it's a tough task narrowing it down, but eventually whittled it down to eight. In chronological order, they are:

a) 3 October 2007 - Didier Drogba v Valencia

A vital winner in the Mestalla, this was as much about the assist as the finish. Drogba rounded off a superb Chelsea counter-attack when he raced on to Joe Cole's piercing through ball, played to perfection with the outside of his right foot. Drogba shrugged off the challenge of his marker, and shot into Santiago Canizares's far corner with his left foot.

B) 20 October 2007 - Alex v Middlesbrough

His first goal for the club, Alex was given the chance to shoot from a free-kick after Michael Essien was fouled 35 yards from goal. Frank Lampard knocked the ball to one side and the Brazilian unleashed an unstoppable rising drive that swerved away from Mark Schwarzer right into the top-left hand corner of the net.

c) 27 October 2007 - Didier Drogba v Manchester City

The second in a comprehensive 6-0 win, Drogba's second nomination is similar to his first, in that it was another fine finish, supplied by a beautifully incisive pass. This time Lampard was the supplier, bending a ball through the heart of the City defence beyond the reach of Micah Richards, and the Ivorian placed his finish perfectly across Joe Hart.

d) 31 October 2007 - Andriy Shevchenko v Leicester City

With time running out, and Chelsea 3-2 down, Essien played a one-two with Claudio Pizarro before rolling the ball into Shevchenko, with his back to goal, on the edge of the Leicester area. The Ukrainian instinctively turned his marker and pulled the trigger with his left foot. The result was an unstoppable drive that flew past the Leicester keeper and into the roof of the net.

e) 26 December 2007 - Alex v Aston Villa (pictured)

A second nomination for the centre-half, he collected the ball on the edge of the centre circle before playing the ball to Shevchenko and continuing his forward run. Shevchenko turned his man and fed Alex on the edge of the area. The Brazilian danced around the defender's challenge, and powered his low shot home to give us a 3-2 lead.

f) 12 January 2008 - Juliano Belletti v Tottenham Hotspur

Picking the ball up, Belletti was allowed to advance deep into the Tottenham half before letting rip with a powerful drive that left Spurs goalkeeper Radek Cerny clutching at thin air as it flew past him into the top corner, bending slightly on the way.

g) 23 January 2008 - Joe Cole v Everton

Cole, so often the provider this season, turned goal scorer when he cleverly brought down Florent Malouda's inch-perfect 50-yard pass with one touch, and with his second sent a well-placed half-volley beyond Tim Howard at his near post, confirming our presence in the Carling Cup final.

h) 1 March 2008 - Michael Ballack v West Ham United

Bouncing back from cup final defeat to Spurs, we hammered the Hammers on their own patch, with a superb first half display, rounded off by Ballack's powerful drive. Nicolas Anelka fed Lampard, who bent a cross into the Germans path. Ballack caught the ball expertly on the half-volley, and managed to keep the trajectory low enough to find Robert Greens bottom corner.

So what's your choice? Do you think the official website has missed out any other worthy goals in their shortlist? If you want to vote, go to the official website. For me it was the Alex 35yarder and Ballacks at West ham

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a) Drogba vs Valencia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkNYVB5XVE8

B) Alex vs Middlesbrough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TihAfPhkSpI

c) Drogba vs Manchester City

d) Shevchenko vs Leicester City

e) Alex vs Aston Villa

(second goal)

f) Belletti vs Tottenham Hotspur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a19R8aMaVU0

g) Joe Cole vs Everton

Can't find it!

h) Ballack vs West Ham

Can't find it again!

We really need imagery to help vote for this, so it's annoying that there isn't any.

I vote Belletti's goal myself. His goal against Wigan really should be in there too, over one of Drogba's goals.

When he beat a few players and blasted it ? -yeah I agree.

Drogbas FA cup winner the 1-2 with Lampard as well unless they are calling that 2006-7. It's all pretty subjective but the move that lead to Ballacks against the spammers, with the control of the volley does it for me.

Well i kinda liked Shevas vs Villa but as its not there i'll go for hmmm i dunno, none of them are exactly great unlike last seasons nominees. I'll go with Ballacks because the ball from lamps was outstanding.

If only Drogba had scored from the half way line first day of season lol be goal of the whole comp...ok I remember stupid things

erm I'd say Alex vs Boro very wooo...though if his free kick against Rosenburg had been mentioned lol defo that one..not for the goal itself for the fact their defender did some wacky cartwheel