Best Centre-Back Pairing?

Strike

Centre-Back pairings  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best centre-back pairing at the club?

• Luiz - Cahill
    • Cahill - Ivanovic
    • Luiz - Terry
    • Cahill - Terry
    • Luiz - Ivanovic

Hummels would be perfect!

As much as I rate Hummels highly, he wouldn't compliment Luiz; both play with the intention of bring the ball up the field and creating attack. On the other Hummels' partner Subotic would probably suit Luiz, as he fits behind. If someone like him or similar would be brought in during next season's campaign, then I think it would be the best center back pairing. But if Luiz is attacking, then one of the holding midfielders needs to drop back a little ( I think Ramires did it in some games - I'll check). My strongest pairing from the list is Terry and Luiz, but Terry's injuries are catching up and its difficult to regain fitness when once before he was untouchable. (he should be here next season as figure to look up and to understand exactly what kind of passion and attitude Chelsea has). Great and knowledgable article Strike, totally forgot that Luiz and Iva had even partnered this season!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I rate Hummels highly, he wouldn't compliment Luiz; both play with the intention of bring the ball up the field and creating attack. On the other Hummels' partner Subotic would probably suit Luiz, as he fits behind. If someone like him or similar would be brought in during next season's campaign, then I think it would be the best center back pairing. But if Luiz is attacking, then one of the holding midfielders needs to drop back a little ( I think Ramires did it in some games - I'll check). My strongest pairing from the list is Terry and Luiz, but Terry's injuries are catching up and its difficult to regain fitness when once before he was untouchable. (he should be here next season as figure to look up and to understand exactly what kind of passion and attitude Chelsea has). Great and knowledgable article Strike, totally forgot that Luiz and Iva had even partnered this season!!

Subotic contract runs down in 2014 as well. A more viable deal than Hummels

Cahill and Luiz didn't even work in Munich, we were saved by the best goalkeeping performance i have ever seen.

Terry and Luiz is our most solid partnership, closely followed by Luiz and Ivanovic.

Cahill and Luiz didn't even work in Munich, we were saved by the best goalkeeping performance i have ever seen.

Terry and Luiz is our most solid partnership, closely followed by Luiz and Ivanovic.

Not sure Terry can play week in week out any more but we do have good options to cover

is having a firm first-choice CB pairing better than rotating CB's everygame? . Spurs, Man United, Man City all rotate their CB's now and I don't think it will affect the defence much as long as the combination selected is ok. need for cb's will change from facing West Ham to facing Wigan. that way it's good that we have 3-4 options to pick from, now

Not sure Terry can play week in week out any more but we do have good options to cover

is having a firm first-choice CB pairing better than rotating CB's everygame? . Spurs, Man United, Man City all rotate their CB's now and I don't think it will affect the defence much as long as the combination selected is ok. need for cb's will change from facing West Ham to facing Wigan. that way it's good that we have 3-4 options to pick from, now

I think its always useful to have ONE established in-form CB that is part of the starting eleven in every game. And, make rotations in the other CB position. Back then JT was the first choice CB, and everyone other CB got used to his playing style. That way you can establish some sort of consistency to the back line and prevent weak pairings like Cahill-Luiz.

The downside is when the first-choice CB becomes injured, in which case you have to start the process all over.

Thiago Silva had a contract until 2017 with AC Milan.

What we really need is a top quality scouting network to find a gem under the radar..

yes. i would love a quality unheralded CB at the club. Someone like Nastasic or Caulker.

for my money it depends on the opponent. For the real physical sides like Stoke or Norwich, I rather see Brana-JT. For Fineness sides, I rather see Luiz-Cahill. & leave Dave on the right, who has made an excellent transition from Ligue 1 to the EPL.