Lewis Baker

Stats

• 1 month later...

Baker winner in Toulon opener

Four of our youngsters started for Gareth Southgate’s young England side as they kicked off their Toulon Tournament campaign with a victory over Portugal.

Nathaniel Chalobah, Lewis Baker, Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Kasey Palmer lined up in the south of France but it was 21-year-old Baker who stole the headlines with an excellent midfield display. He capped it with the only goal of the game, a right-footed effort swept into the roof of the net following Loftus-Cheek’s cutback on 60 minutes.

The midfielder had been denied by the Portuguese goalkeeper on three occasions before the interval. A right-foot strike was saved low before another move involving Baker and Loftus-Cheek ended with the former’s drive being pushed over the bar.

Late in the first half, a left-footed attempt from 20 yards out was also thwarted before the former FA Youth Cup and Under-21 Premier League winner settled the contest midway through the second period. He was replaced in stoppage time with his work for the evening completed.

Chalobah completed 90 minutes while Palmer and Loftus-Cheek were withdrawn in the second half. John Swift was an unused substitute.

The young Lions, with Blues assistant coach Steve Holland second-in-command to Southgate, return to action on Monday 21 May when they take on Guinea. They then face Paraguay and Japan next week in Group B. The winners from Group A and Group B then progress to the final, with a third place play-off also taking place between the group runners-up.

You can continue to follow the progress of our young Lions in Toulon on this website.

chelseafc.com

1.PNG

On 5/21/2016 at 3:25 PM, The Skipper said:

Underrated, always has been. Still think he can be a solid player for CFC in the future. Possibly a Mark Noble like player. 

Think he'll be much better than Mark Noble in a couple of years. Probably a rich mans Jordan Henderson.

Hope he gets look in pre-season and impresses Conte&co so much that he stays at Cfc nxt season,could make him or break him with respect to which way his career will go as he is getting to that age of abit of a crossroads,here's hoping he grabs the chance with both hands and kicks on with Cfc.

Strength in depth:Baker

Lewis Baker scored the winning goal for England Under-21s last week and our young midfielder has spoken about that success ahead of the young Lions next game in the Toulon Tournament tonight (Monday).Baker was one of four Chelsea starters for Gareth Southgate’s side in Thursday night’s opener against Portugal, alongside Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Nathaniel Chalobah and Kasey Palmer, a debutant at that level.Baker scored the only goal midway through the second half, turning in Loftus-Cheek’s centre from close range. The 21-year-old, who spent the 2015/16 season on loan at Vitesse Arnhem, also forced the Portuguese keeper into three first-half saves.

‘I got into a good scoring position and just finished the rest,’ said Baker.‘I was glad to get one, but we got the three points and that was the main thing. It was a difficult game in the conditions with the wind, but we pulled through to get the goal that we needed for the three points and we start off the tournament with a win.‘We could have played a bit better, but with the conditions we did our best and our best was good enough.’

England, for whom Steve Holland assists Gareth Southgate, play their second game tonight against Guinea. It is the first of three fixtures in five days in the south of France and Southgate has said he hopes every member of his 20-man group will start at least one fixture to cope with the congestion.

‘We’ve been able to rest up, and we’ve got the squad to change things about,’ Baker agreed.‘As we saw [against Portugal], the subs came on and made a difference and it’s the same throughout the squad – we have good strength in depth and that’s what we’re going to need.’

chelseafc.com

baker.PNG

On 23/05/2016 at 5:42 PM, Gilvorak said:

Think he'll be much better than Mark Noble in a couple of years. Probably a rich mans Jordan Henderson.

To be honest Mark Noble or a 'rich man's Henderson' would be a pretty good result actually. Noble never underperforms for West Ham, and as much as it annoys me, when I see Henderson for England I can see glimpses of talent - if Baker could pull off the passes that Henderson often tries and over hits, he could be quality for us.

I like his shooting technique, Eriksen/Siggurdsson like. The player you'd want on the end of a cut back 20 yards out, knows how to manipulate the ball using laces side foot or ankle

• 4 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, VitesseCFC said:

Lewis Baker returns to Vitesse Arnhem, just like Nathan Allan da Souza. https://fromarnhemwithlove.com/2016/06/24/lewis-baker-nathan-to-return-to-vitesse/

Mmm thought worth a look at pre-season with us ffs ,hard to see what he will learn and improve playing with Vitesse again!

43 minutes ago, mccg said:

Mmm thought worth a look at pre-season with us ffs ,hard to see what he will learn and improve playing with Vitesse again!

The new boss must have watched video of all relevant players. If, after doing that, he feels a loan is the right option for Lewis then we must accept that decision.

I have not been a big believer in Lewis, but a lot of people tell me that I am wrong about that so I've been trying to be more open-minded about him. To be fair, he did well in Toulon but he needs to make a strong case for himself with his performances next season or time will begin to run out on his Chelsea chances.