Shakhtar Donetsk 2-1 Chelsea

Jase

MOTM?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. MOTM?

Yes our squad has so much depth in striking positions doesn't it?! The one area we are well catered for in our squad is the attacking midfield three. All other areas of our squad may well be strong in talent but not in depth. Much of our 'squad depth' invariably comes from certain players being versatile to cover a number of positions such as Ramires and Ivanovic. What you also have to consider is that we are now a side relying heavily on a much younger core of players to 'produce' for us, as opposed to the previously old experienced guard. The point I have been making is that this season could take it's toll on the likes of Oscar and Hazard with the amount of competitions we are in and as we are clearly struggling much more to adapt in Europe than we have domestically, I wouldn't be too disheartened about having a mediocre European campaign if that kept the team fresh and benefitted us in winning back the league.

All you have to do is check my post on this topic last night to realise that I am not one to call 'crisis' after one or two games, but we have to be realistic and at this moment we are struggling in Europe and flying domestically. One may have to prioritise the other eventually...

a bit early to be saying that we are struggling to cope in Europe when we have only lost one of the 3 games we have played.... (by way of actually playing poor and looking like we dont have an answer), the draw against Juve was just a typical Chelsea result and the same happened last year numerous times in thinking that we have the upper hand being 2 goals up and then just taking our foot off the gas... The other game we smashed Nordshit, who managed to draw against Juve... So to say that we are struggling based on what we have seen so far... meh.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a bit early to be saying that we are struggling to cope in Europe when we have only lost one of the 3 games we have played.... (by way of actually playing poor and looking like we dont have an answer), the draw against Juve was just a typical Chelsea result and the same happened last year numerous times in thinking that we have the upper hand being 2 goals up and then just taking our foot off the gas... The other game we smashed Nordshit, who managed to draw against Juve... So to say that we are struggling based on what we have seen so far... meh.

The Juventus game wasn't like last season, we actually struggled and Juventus outplayed us at home.

The game in Denmark we struggled aswell - 3 goals in the last 10 minutes masked a poor performance.

The Shakhtar game was dreadful.

European and English football are completely different styles and it is clear whilst we've hit the ground running domestically, it will take longer to adapt our style in Europe hence why I don't believe we'll retain the cup.

The Juventus game wasn't like last season, we actually struggled and Juventus outplayed us at home.

The game in Denmark we struggled aswell - 3 goals in the last 10 minutes masked a poor performance.

The Shakhtar game was dreadful.

European and English football are completely different styles and it is clear whilst we've hit the ground running domestically, it will take longer to adapt our style in Europe hence why I don't believe we'll retain the cup.

Oh what it must feel like to be so positive :). I'll focus on the positives rather than the negatives and just be thankful that we aren't being slammed like the likes of City are. Fact of the matter is, we are still 2nd in the table (with only 4 points yes), but 2 more wins at home and we should be dandy. Then the dynamics of the competition change when the KO phase is initiated. Though it would be stupid to say that we WILL retain the trophy again this year, I hold out hope that we can, at least, get rather far in the competition (how far is down to the luck and what happens on each respective night).

We shall but see.

Oh what it must feel like to be so positive :). I'll focus on the positives rather than the negatives and just be thankful that we aren't being slammed like the likes of City are. Fact of the matter is, we are still 2nd in the table (with only 4 points yes), but 2 more wins at home and we should be dandy. Then the dynamics of the competition change when the KO phase is initiated. Though it would be stupid to say that we WILL retain the trophy again this year, I hold out hope that we can, at least, get rather far in the competition (how far is down to the luck and what happens on each respective night).

We shall but see.

I think you've taken my posts the wrong way mate - Yes we should qualify still from the group (and it's in our hands to do so) and yes we are capable of doing well in Europe this year.

However I'm being realistic with our chances in Europe this season and am prepared to give the team the benefit of the doubt a little this season in Europe. The style of play in Europe does not suit up with our own new style and this will take time to get right. I would love no more than to win back to back European cups, but from a hyperthetical viewpoint, if going out of Europe at a relatively early stage helps us domestically this season to win back the league from the Mancs then I would not be against it!

We shall but see.

To support your comment we've played 1 home game and 2 away games so far in UCL and we are second now we play 2 home games and 1 away so our destiny is definitely in our hands. I hope we can reach at least the quarter final stage as it will give our new boys experience and confidence ahead of next season.

A couple of Champions League stats to throw in...

1. Chelsea's overall record in the Champions League - P115 W58 D32 L25.

2. Chelsea's Champions League record at Stamford Bridge - P57 W36 D16 L5. In group stage - P34 D24 D8 L2. In KO stage - W23 D8 L3.

3. Chelsea's AWAY record in the Champions League - P58 W22 D16 L20. In group stage - P35 W16 D10 L9. In KO stage - P23 W6 D6 L11.

RDM need one thing to learn about our defeat especially against atletico and shaktar,,both them play same formation like us 4-2-3-1,,we know they are in good perform atletico (europa league Champion) and shaktar (unbeatean with great winning record and only draw 2),,for this kind of game with in perform team like this and using same formation like us we need different touch or tactic to take this game

about formation... we use this fomation because we know how good it's, we get balance from this formation in attack and defence,so this formation bring us to face a team with good in counter attack and strong in defence,but we have to remember we use this formation after RDM take a charge (compare with atletico and shaktar who use this formation for along time with more solid player) so we still learn to find balance in this formation (the proof is our preseason game,it's look same scenario just like we lost against atletico and shaktar)our 3 ATM (Mazacar) can't do their job to exploit space in opponent defence because they defence with 9 man with each player stay close in middle of their defence this situation make our 2 DM go to high of the pitch to support them and strech opponent defence,,and it leave us so vulnerable in defence with only leave 4 man in Defence..

i think we have to play old chelsea tactic(play long ball crossing into heart their defence,,it will not effective but with patience,,try try and try we can make it but with one important condition we have Killer striker(strong in the air,have good one touch and strong shoot) the advantage of this our defence will more solid and they not always out of possesion,,or we can add on for this with 3 ATM who have good long range shoot,,i like our new system it really enjoy to watch and so far bring us to top of the league,,but when it doesn't working we need plan B to approach some opponent,,so i hope RDM and our player can learn from this this lose to fix our weekness,,this lose will not make us week but it will make us stronger as a team.

A couple of Champions League stats to throw in...

3. Chelsea's AWAY record in the Champions League - P58 W22 D16 L20. In group stage - P35 W16 D10 L9. In KO stage - P23 W6 D6 L11.

Remember we went through one season with hardly any away wins...would mess the first leg up and somehow pull it back in the return!