David Luiz

the wes

He's had ten good games to every bad game he's had this season - but even so, yesterday was just shocking. 

He set the tone for a frantic team performance with how uncomfortable he looked early on. People say Herrera's throughball for Rashford was the pass of the season - it wasn't. One simple, straight ball took out our entire defence, and Luiz was in a different post code to Rashford by the time he recognised the danger. Poor all-round.

Was expecting this to happen sooner or later. I think hes been good for us most of the season but last few games hes shown glimpses of the good old lack of concentration hes always had. Its not particularly a major issue for me right now because he along with Azpi have been two of the most consistent center backs in England this year but I think he is the sort of guy who needs to be reminded constantly to be 100% focused. He has a shit tonne of experience though, so really it shouldnt be happening but hey we are all human. Saying that too I don't think hes looked fully fit since Aguero fucked him up either but hes been in the team ever since so I doubt its a major concern that would make Conte take him out indefinitely to rest/recover, especially now we have 6 games to go in the most vital part of the season for us.  

18 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

He's had ten good games to every bad game he's had this season - but even so, yesterday was just shocking. 

He set the tone for a frantic team performance with how uncomfortable he looked early on. People say Herrera's throughball for Rashford was the pass of the season - it wasn't. One simple, straight ball took out our entire defence, and Luiz was in a different post code to Rashford by the time he recognised the danger. Poor all-round.

Although Luiz had a shocker all game he recovered well after Rashford went past him. 

If Begovic stayed on his line Rashford would have been forced further from goal and barring a wonderfully placed shot or Rashford unleashing his inner Messi and leaving David for dead with a peice of skill that would have meant danger gone. 

He had a shocking game but did the right thing in that moment but Asmir came out too quickly. 

The way he stood like a statue for Utd's 2nd goal and the only movement he made was away from the ball instead of trying to block it, was shocking. No desire, couple that with GC helping up Lingard at the same time and you don't have to look far why we conceded 2 soft goals.

Yeah he was stood still, think he might still be carrying that injury but is playing through it, or trying to. Problem is we don't have many options for that position. Zouma can't play the ball out confidently, so Terry would be the only other option for us unless Ake can be trusted there. However, this is only if Luiz is carrying an injury and needs to be rested. 

46 minutes ago, manpe said:

The way he stood like a statue for Utd's 2nd goal and the only movement he made was away from the ball instead of trying to block it, was shocking. No desire, couple that with GC helping up Lingard at the same time and you don't have to look far why we conceded 2 soft goals.

Luiz always seems to have nightmare-ish performances at Old Trafford. Maybe he is carrying an injury but yesterday wasn't the first bad performance he's had at United.

There is no Luiz of old. That whole shtick needs to fade away.

He had a bad game. That is it. No glimpse of the past or anything. After so many good, consistent performances, he had a bad one. Why? Because he is human. 

Aside from that, he is undoubtably the best CB in the league. 

On 16/04/2017 at 6:20 PM, Tautvix said:

In games like this you just realise Luiz is still a clown he used to be.

I think people go overboard about David in both directions. His reviews tend to suggest that he's the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. He is not either of those things. He's a normal footballer whose performance level fluctuates from game to game but, like any defender, he looks really awful when he makes mistakes. Eight great games for the remainder of the season please David.

9 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I think people go overboard about David in both directions. His reviews tend to suggest that he's the best of the best, or the worst of the worst. He is not either of those things. He's a normal footballer whose performance level fluctuates from game to game but, like any defender, he looks really awful when he makes mistakes. Eight great games for the remainder of the season please David.

agreed.

I'd not say he's that "normal" though. :P

He's a very unique CB with very unique strengths and weaknesses. He loses concentration on occasion, which has the potential to punish your side if the team cannot handle it. Hence why he works better with two other CBs or even in midfield (Jose). If your side and your coach can accommodate him in a system, he will offer a lot on the technical side, probably more than any other CB: first touch, passing (even long), and shooting. He's also pretty good in the air and pacey for a Cb which allows him to produce many interceptions.

So, If you have David on your side, you do have to make adjustments, but doing so makes him a strong asset.

His weakness in concentration and especially his style of always seeking the anticipation (interception) will always make him look worse than the others around him when things go bad, even when he's "only" just as bad (e.g. Brazil vs germany).

The french thought he was responsible for the weak defensive showing of PSG in the CL against barcelona before. It seems not much changed without him, only that now they cannot as easily blame the very composed Silva and Marquinhos. ;)

3 hours ago, Robguima said:

agreed.

I'd not say he's that "normal" though. :P

He's a very unique CB with very unique strengths and weaknesses. He loses concentration on occasion, which has the potential to punish your side if the team cannot handle it. Hence why he works better with two other CBs or even in midfield (Jose). If your side and your coach can accommodate him in a system, he will offer a lot on the technical side, probably more than any other CB: first touch, passing (even long), and shooting. He's also pretty good in the air and pacey for a Cb which allows him to produce many interceptions.

So, If you have David on your side, you do have to make adjustments, but doing so makes him a strong asset.

His weakness in concentration and especially his style of always seeking the anticipation (interception) will always make him look worse than the others around him when things go bad, even when he's "only" just as bad (e.g. Brazil vs germany).

The french thought he was responsible for the weak defensive showing of PSG in the CL against barcelona before. It seems not much changed without him, only that now they cannot as easily blame the very composed Silva and Marquinhos. ;)

Yes, perhaps I did not express myself particularly clearly. I meant David is "normal" in the sense that his form fluctuates just like everyone else's does, and that he makes mistakes, just like everyone else. 

23 hours ago, Thor said:

There is no Luiz of old. That whole shtick needs to fade away.

He had a bad game. That is it. No glimpse of the past or anything. After so many good, consistent performances, he had a bad one. Why? Because he is human. 

Aside from that, he is undoubtably the best CB in the league. 

Not sure about best, I think Azpilicueta (I consider him a CB now) and Alderwierld are fighting for that honour. 

Agree with the rest mind. 

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not sure about best, I think Azpilicueta (I consider him a CB now) and Alderwierld are fighting for that honour. 

Agree with the rest mind. 

When Luiz was at his best, our defense was impenetrable. But since Luiz has lost form, we can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives. 

Carragher explained this extensively on Monday Night Football and it has been for a while now. I just hope Luiz isn't playing through pain or injury. 

With Luiz losing a little form at the back and Costa destroying our linkups and goalscoring upfront, it's no wonder we're struggling to win narrowly these days. 

4 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

When Luiz was at his best, our defense was impenetrable. But since Luiz has lost form, we can't keep a clean sheet to save our lives. 

Carragher explained this extensively on Monday Night Football and it has been for a while now. I just hope Luiz isn't playing through pain or injury. 

With Luiz losing a little form at the back and Costa destroying our linkups and goalscoring upfront, it's no wonder we're struggling to win narrowly these days. 

Our defense was 'impenetrable' party because of the individual and collective performances of the 3 players playing center back but also the system and the fact Kante-Matic give so much infront of it. I don't think that its just David Luiz that has held the defense together like some would suggest, I would hate to imagine the team without Kante-Matic in front of it when we had that big unbeaten run because the work they did in their and the organisation as well was a huge help before teams even got in at the backline. Luiz's performances have been good, fair enough and he deserves to be in the team of the year but I feel the same as I did when we resigned him, we know he can have an absolute nightmare at times, over commit, overplay, lose focus, hes human fair enough and can make mistakes but hes still not much better than he was when we he left for PSG 2 or 3 years ago.