Andre Villas Boas's youth policy

Tomo

I think has came in for a bit of harsh stick so far, yes maybe he could have utilised Ryan Bertrand better and played Josh McEachran a bit more than he has done but i dont think he has done too bad in that department for now.

Daniel Sturridge - Has found a place in the side for Danny and is getting rewarded with goals and stellar displays. AVB could have easily have 'played safe' and stuck with Anelka and loaned Danny out again but took a chance with him and its paying off.

Oriol Romeu - Most would have 'played safe' and stuck with Mikel and putting it down to expierence, AVB decided to give Oriol and run and is largely getting rewarded with dominant displays on the pitch.

Romelu Lukaku - I think the plan for AVB was to give him more time than he has done, but Lukaku is taking time to adapt to English football so i 100% think AVB has done the right thing taking him away from the firing line for now.

Josh McEachran - His game time has been disapointing but i honestly believe had this season gone more to plan he would have played more, despite that AVB still names him in most matchday squad's and in pre season had Josh alongside him in interviews so its obvious Josh in in AVB's long term plans.

Ryan Bertrand - Only one AVB has disapointed in for me, should have got more game time than he has done.

Nathaniel Chalaboh - AVB took him to pre season and judging by the comments he has made about him see's a big future for him.

So i think Bertrand aside AVB has not done that much wrong with the young players and he has found a place in this team for Sturridge and Oriol and in time i fuly trust him to do the same with the other 4 aswell.

In AVB i trust.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

article is a fair analysis. Perhaps there is a question mark about Josh's physical ability.

Fair point, i hope whoever he goes on loan too plays him. Its annoying seeing our loans fail Sturridge aside (Kakuta, PVA) but other top teams loan's working a treat (Walker, Cleverly, Welbeck, Naughton, Frimpong, Caulker, Wilshere).

Fair point, i hope whoever he goes on loan too plays him. Its annoying seeing our loans fail Sturridge aside (Kakuta, PVA) but other top teams loan's working a treat (Walker, Cleverly, Welbeck, Naughton, Frimpong, Caulker, Wilshere).

imo that's not really fair because both Utd and Arsenal have had their fair share of shite youngsters come through that they initially built up as the next Beckham, Ronaldo, etc.

but I do agree that we're the worst English team when it comes to using youngsters. But plenty of it is down to the pressures that our managers have of having "instant success" or facing the sack/getting attacked by the media. Also, we have a shit board.

imo that's not really fair because both Utd and Arsenal have had their fair share of shite youngsters come through that they initially built up as the next Beckham, Ronaldo, etc.

but I do agree that we're the worst English team when it comes to using youngsters. But plenty of it is down to the pressures that our managers have of having "instant success" or facing the sack/getting attacked by the media. Also, we have a shit board.

I mean like Arsenal and United's youngsters seem to get game time while our's Sturridge aside don't. Do Arsenal and United put a gametime clause and financial incentive into it that we dont? if thats the case than id refer to what you said about our shit board.

His inclusion of Studge and Romeu is encouraging... tbh I don't think any manager would have overlooked Danny after the form he showed (although it is possible since the club admitted thinking about a loan before he fired in pre-season, had he not done that under another manager we might have seen a different scenario), and Romeu is a bit of fine scouting by AVB's team (although you may send a scout to Barca youths and if he doesn't find anyone worth mentioning then he's a bad scout).

I don't think anybody really doubts him yet, other than the dreamers of course. A certain sample of people on here have this idea that the young players (particularly Josh McEachran) could come in to our team and magically turn our game/season around, which I'm sure most would agree is bordering on the ridiculous. Just look at the match threads; we go down and all of a sudden people are calling for McEachran and Lukaku as if they are proven game winners, which they are not. Of course it would be great to get them some game time, but these are players in their late teens to very early 20's. They clearly have talent and will probably one day soon be great players, but they still have plenty of time to develop and there is absolutely no need to rush them.

I don't follow the reserve team really. But often seems to me (and somebody in the know can correct me if I'm wrong) that they have very inconsistent results. I know the players in question have more experience than your average reserves player, but they still don't have a great deal, and have plenty to learn. I see nothing wrong with having them train with the first team and using them sparingly as they continue to grow.

I mean like Arsenal and United's youngsters seem to get game time while our's Sturridge aside don't. Do Arsenal and United put a gametime clause and financial incentive into it that we dont? if thats the case than id refer to what you said about our shit board.

Arsenal aside as they have been using younger players for a while. Are MUFC not using so much youth at the moment due to injuries in the squad?

Like I said it's cause Fergie and Wenger (up until this season or maybe last season too) had complete job security. Whereas that isn't the case here

Edit: Oh, you meant loan deals that they make. I agree with what you say then. We definitely need to improve our choices when it comes to sending players on loan. McEachran to Swansea hopefully will be a step in the right direction :)

A certain sample of people on here have this idea that the young players (particularly Josh McEachran) could come in to our team and magically turn our game/season around, which I'm sure most would agree is bordering on the ridiculous. Just look at the match threads; we go down and all of a sudden people are calling for McEachran and Lukaku as if they are proven game winners, which they are not. Of course it would be great to get them some game time, but these are players in their late teens to very early 20's. They clearly have talent and will probably one day soon be great players, but they still have plenty of time to develop and there is absolutely no need to rush them.

Re: McEachran. It's not that we expect him to score a hattrick after coming on a sub. It's the style of football that he can play. He is creative and is certainly capable of producing something. Lampard and Meireles have been awful at times this season and our football has been utterly devoid of ideas which Josh can bring. Again, it's not that we expect him to do it. But give him a chance at least! Because he's shown glimpses of quality every time he came on as a sub last season.