So many decisions...

termninja

More precicely 10 of them, and AVB really needs to get them right.

1. Main striker

Dider Drogba. Fernando Torres. Just 2 seasons ago those 2 names carried some much weight on them, but sadly neither of them has managed to hit the ground running and start scoring regurarly.

Both had bright moments this season, but those were just that - moments.

Didier has been our star striker for quite some time and some people who don't rate him as much as they should, they will understand just how much important he was for us when he leaves which sadly I think will happen really soon. He is certainly one of the best strikers of the 21st century. Yes, he didn't score as much as some other strikers or perhaps he didn't manage to archieve some things as others have, but Didier's overall play is something very rare. Dangerous in air, dangerous from free kicks, dangerous from distance, amazing cross and amazing unpredictability. It will be a sad day when he leaves, but it will also be an end of a chapter, and there are no infinite chapters.

Fernando Torres. Oh god! What to say about him now which hasn't been said until now...on his way to become the most expensive flop ever. Problem with Fernando's future with us is that he is not a player you keep on the bench as a 2nd choice striker. He is payed a lot of money for his wages and with UEFA's Fair Play rules coming into action we can't allow ourself to pay his monstrous wages for mediocre performances. I strongly believe that Andre will analyze Torres' 2011/12 season thoroughly in the summer and make a decision about his future with us.

One thing is certain, our goals from strikers have dried up and Van Persie is the most obvious example of just how much that is important.

We also have Daniel Sturridge and Romelu Lukaku as young lads competing for the CF position at our club and I'm really curios to see who will be the man leading our attack next season.

2. Wing positions

Anelka left. Malouda and Kalou are on their way out also which will leave us with only 2 wingers if we look at Sturridge as one. This is the position we will definitely try to reinforce in the future, and I hope we will try going for the players like Neymar, Hazard and Gotze in the summer. Krasic and Hoillet would be good aditions as they will add more options to our wings.

3. Lampard

523 games, 179 goals and 114 assist. Take a bow son! One of the best midfielders of the 21st century without doubt, Chelsea legend and one of the most unique players ever, but his future with us remains in clouds at the moment. His performances haven't been on top level we are used to and Frank will be 34 in the summer. Problem with him is that he is not prepared to accept his new role as an impact player and wants to play week and week out. As positive and ambitions that attitude is, Lampard is on a wage that is given to players who are the key figures in your team, not occasional starters. I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but AVB's decision on Lampard will not be easy.

4. Essien

Still to early to discuss about him in detail, but for me, he will never be the same players he was before. Last season he wasn't on top of his game and people who expect him to do a "Van Persie" will be pretty much disappointed. He is 29 with some serious injury problems in the past and by keeping him we are risking not earning anything out of him, especially if he gets unjured again which will lower his price even more.

But, as I said, it's still to early to discuss about him, let's see at the end of the season.

5. Youth

Youth and Chelsea...those 2 really don't go together well. We have so many talented players with the likes of Lukaku, McEachran, Bertrand, Van Aanholt, Bruma, Kalas and Kakuta all players who need to play more and more players like Lalkovic, Feruz, Masek, Piazon, Chalobah, Keane, Clifford, Hutchinson, Ake, Delac and others waiting for their chance.

AVB has been reluctant to play anyone this season which has been a big mistake for me and I hope this changes next season. At least, I hope Kakuta and Josh do well on their loans and start producing some quality performances, but I'm really disappointed when I see a young talented player work his ass everytime and still remain the bench.

6. 4-3-3 vs 4-2-3-1 and the juan and only - Mata

Now, here's something not a lot of people have thought about. A lot of times we heard that Mata is much more better centrally and I agree, but by playing Mata in a 4-2-3-1 formation as a player behind a striker you need to realize that we get weaker defansively. Juan is not a player who offers a lot when it comes to defending and in a position like that he will always have a player marking and beating him. Both Lampard and Ramires like to go forward which with 4 players ahead of them (striker, 2 wingers and attacking mid) will not be as easy at it is in 4-3-3. Add to this the fact that Lampard does not like to be played as a deep lying playmaker so for me, 4-2-3-1 formation can be used on certain occasions, but not as our main formation. That remains the 4-3-3 that's been at the Bridge for a number of years and the formation Andre likes the most.

Now, when we play Mata as a left winger in a 4-3-3 formation, he can cut inside or stick to the wing, Lamps and Ramires can go forward and we have 3 midfielders instead of 2. For me, this has more benefits then 4-2-3-1, especially because a lot of teams close down and wait us on counter attacks.

7. Sturridge

On which position does his future lie? Is he the next Hulk or a man to lead our attack next season? His performances on the right wing have improved game by game and he has improved a lot since his first game this season. So far with Mata and Ramires he has been the key player for us this season. He, of course, still needs to work a lot, but he is definitely showing a lot of improvement with every game he plays. Don't forget that he became a 1st team member just this season so his performances will get only better as the times passes.

I am not sure where he should be played in the future because we've seen him only once playing as a striker this season which hasn't succeded. I'm not saying that he doesn't have the future there, but it seems Andre sees him as our future right wing.

8. Right back position

Although we have 3 players on that position, a lot of people rate it really high on our transfer list. I agree that we lack a good all around right back, but I also think that we should have patience here. We have Todd Keane and Sam Hutchinson coming through and those lads deserves a chance. Ivanovic has also done very well consitently for a long period of time and as we will have 3 CBs without him his future lies on the right side of our defense. Bosingwa is far from reliable, but he is also not that bad and he's a decent backup for a season or 2. As for Fereirra we've seen that he's been useful this season, but I believe that we should let him leave once his contract expires.

If we do find a good player to bring into this position then we should go for him, but this will also move Ivanovic to the bench, and I'll tell you right now, he is not going to be happy sitting there at the prime of his career.

9. PVA and Bertrand

Both great prospects, but I believe we will have to part ways with one of them in the near future. They won't be happy to sit on the bench at their age when they should be starting week and week out, especially Ryan who also won't agree to go out on loan.

10. Goalkeeper position

And the most distant decision we will have to make. After Courtois finishes his loans spells and returns to the club where does the future of Petr Cech lie? Neither will be happy on the bench so I see us parting the ways with one of the best goalkeepers in whole of our history.

The future of Matej Delac also remains to be determined and we really don't hear a lot about him even though he was seen as the next big thing amongst goalkeepers.

So let's see what happens, I hope Andre gets it right.

Click here to view the article

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good one, very good points that need analysing by André. Number 6 & 8 are the most prominent though!

Sounds like an article you'd see on The Bleacher Report :lol:

I don't even know what The Bleacher Report is :blink:

been waiting for write this for quite a while.

Haha they have a lot of "10 things that.." articles on there, that's all I meant by it :lol:

Oh I see what you meant. Well to my defense, I think I've read only 1 article that was structured like that quite some time ago. I thought it was going to be the easiest way to write it since there are a lot of points in.

Great article mate. I share your opinion on most points. Though i have to disagree on the bit about youth. Andre has been much better, in that area, than any of our managers in recent memory which is evident by the fact that Oriol and Danny are in our starting 11. I trust that if a player is good enough he will make the team regardless of their age.

Great article mate. I share your opinion on most points. Though i have to disagree on the bit about youth. Andre has been much better, in that area, than any of our managers in recent memory which is evident by the fact that Oriol and Danny are in our starting 11. I trust that if a player is good enough he will make the team regardless of their age.

I did not say that he wasn't better then previous managers but for me, he has made a mistake for not giving a chance to Josh at least once or starting Bertrand over Cole. I never expected him to give a lot of chances to young guns, but I did expect a couple of 'em (besides Carling Cup). Field a strong 10 and include Josh or Ryan and see how they do against Wolves at home for example.

But if keeping the youth away this season will help us in a top 4 finish, then fair enough.

I did not say that he wasn't better then previous managers but for me, he has made a mistake for not giving a chance to Josh at least once or starting Bertrand over Cole. I never expected him to give a lot of chances to young guns, but I did expect a couple of 'em (besides Carling Cup). Field a strong 10 and include Josh or Ryan and see how they do.

Yes, but there is the possibility that they were not given the chance because AVB saw through training sessions that they are not ready to be tried with the first team just yet. I'm inclined to give andre the benefit of the doubt in this matter.

Yes, but there is the possibility that they were not given the chance because AVB saw through training sessions that they are not ready to be tried with the first team just yet. I'm inclined to give andre the benefit of the doubt in this matter.

That's something I can't know, but a sub appearance at least could've worked. And Bertand is ready.

Oh I see what you meant. Well to my defense, I think I've read only 1 article that was structured like that quite some time ago. I thought it was going to be the easiest way to write it since there are a lot of points in.

no need to apologise or defend yourself . It is an excellent article the best that has been started for a few weeks.

Great article.

What i am going to say is i think its time to let Drogba and Lampard leave as legend's. Back when they were at their peak there weren't too many better and ive said before Lampard is truly one of a kind we will never find another player that will offer 20 goals a season from midfield (not on a consistent basis anyway) but both will be 34 last season and command higher wages sometimes the club need to make decision's like this for the long term benefit of the club.

Aswell letting those 2 go will be a clear message that player power down Cobham is a thing of a past.

If Lampard wont accept a backup role, then he will have to leave, no player is bigger than the club. People have also forgotten John Terry and the highline, at the moment AVB has done the right thing and stopped the highline, but you have to remember if AVB does get his new players, which i doubt he will because he wont spend in January and will end up getting sacked, but if he does then AVB will want to play highline, he wants his own team and Terry can't play it. If AVB is to stay another season which is very doubtful, and builds his own team, this will be Terry's last season, or his last season as a starter.

Our best team at the moment

Cech

Ivanovic-Luiz-Terry-Cole

Ramires-Romeu-Meireles

Sturridge-Drogba-Mata

That's a decent starting eleven, but not good enough for top 4, Ivanovic was world class last season and i think he can be again, Luiz in my opinion will come good, you can put an end to your mistakes, Terry good at the moment but can't play highline, Cole plays to much, getting worse but he needs a rest probably and we've got Bertrand who can defend and can go forward. Ramires good player, in my opinion should be getting up more but we are not seeing the best out of him, untill he has freedom and is next to a world class midfielder i think we will see more coming from Ramires and some magic, people doubt Ramires as a footballer and just call him an athlete but i think he is good technically, and he shows it in games when we are playing well. Romeu quality player, uncertain about his future though, he's looking like he's going to Barcalona, Meireles should be a squad player at most, can't win the league when you've got him starting every match. Sturridge can be quality at times but he needs someone who can give him challenge, because Danny has huge determination he never gives up, he will get better with someone pushing him by also trying to start and get a game there. Drogba, well he's the only one who can work with the team, he is average when he plays for us these days, but he's the only striker we have who can do something. Mata, world class, but we can't get him on the ball enough and we are relying on him too much, he needs better players with him.

then you have a bench like this

Hilario/Turnbull

Bosingwa

Chalobah

Mikel

McEeachran

Malouda

Torres

That's a poor bench, we have a full back who isn't good enough and is a liability in defence, a very very young centre back Chalobah (but Cahill will becoming in soon i think) Mikel who can't play in our formation and is too slow and should be in Seria A, McEachran the only bright spark on our bench, young yes, but can do better than any other player on our team, he's also our only midfielder who can pick out a pass, and has a job to do it. Malouda, deadwood needs ridden off, but at the end of the season because i think we need him as backup now, and Torres who just can't play in our team because it lacks creativity.

So what we need, well this is my opinion of course and yes i know i've been going on about it for months now but a CREATIVE MIDFIELDER!, the main priority even over a centre back, we need a world class midfielder who is in the genre of creativity, Meireles and Ramires are box to box players they wont dictate the game and pick out passes and bring confidence to the game. I think that's the only player we need to splash the cash on, and it's now, if AVB doesn't buy a creative midfielder this month then i hope he gets sacked, because all he's doing is killing our team. We don't need a striker, Torres will get better but only if we have that drive in midfield, you might not think one man can do it but he can, because that one person changes the team and especially midfield, our midfielders can only pass to our front 3 out of like 1 in 3 passes. Then i think we need a midfielder who can probably play both wings, i would like Victor Moses i think he's the perfect choice, young, pace, has flair and troubles defenders, also very cheap and can make an impact off the bench. Also give Sturridge a challenge most of all, and yes i know he mostly plays left wing but he can play right wing too.

So that's all i think we need, those 3 players this month, Creative midfielder, splash the cash out, Winger we can get one for cheap, and a centre back who it looks like we're getting.

Good post. I think the essien one is interesting, if he manges to regain some form he could be very important in our rotation the remainder of the season as he is very good at closing players down and has a good tempo to his game. But like you point out i think even if he does well he should be sold at the end of the season whilst he has value. With so many cash rich clubs like malaga, psg and china/russia teams we might be able to do good business. The type of injuries hes had have to affect him again at some point and it would be a shame if we kept him taking up a potential place of another option, only for him to play 4 every 6 matches etc.

The way i see lampard goin is hard to judge because its based on guess work. But in my opinion i think its pretty clear that avb and lamps arent sharing the same philosphy. I also dont think avb has him down as a starter if hes at full strength. I also believe that lamps has to much respect for the club to make a massive drama out of this, publicly anyway. Therefore my money would be on an la galaxy move. Good move financially for him, his mrs would love it and hes a perfect role model of professionalism and still a good player. Cant believe that the bookies have west ham as the favourites for his signature if he moves on. Never gonna happen. And you can quote me on that.

Chalobah, Piazon, Kane are not yet ready for first team, not to mention Feruz and Ake who are still only 16. Masek is even younger and atm not Chelsea player.

You misunderstood me. Of course they are not ready, it was turned more towards the future. What I tried to say is that we have lots of really talented players and we need to take some of them into consideration instead of always buying a player for the position we need. If you ask me, only Lukaku and Bertand are ready to step up. Josh will be after his loan.

I believe piazon could fit straight into first team squad personally!

I do not believe so. He's still positionally very raw, he drifts away to much. The class, touch & control is there, but still needs more fine tuning for the premier league standards. The potential is there, but he's only 17.