Jermain Defoe

LDN Blue

Defoe hints at Tottenham exit

Jermain Defoe has suggested he could be forced to seek a move away from Tottenham in January if he fails to nail down a regular start.

The striker has found himself down the pecking order at White Hart Lane following the summer loan signing of Emmanuel Adebayor and he feels his England hopes are being hit hard as a consequence.

Defoe has an eye trained on Euro 2012 but knows he has to be in the Spurs side for Fabio Capello to consider him.

"I'm 29, I need to play football," Defoe told The Sun. "It's as simple as that. There's a tournament in the summer.

"I've been lucky enough to play in one tournament for my country. I want to play in one again as I know if I play in a tournament I'll do well.

"I am working hard in the gym. I did a lot of work in the summer to get to this position and I'm not going to waste it by sitting on the bench when I know I should play.

"If I was about 21 I could sit on my hands. But I'm 29 and want to play football now every week."

Defoe started and scored against Shamrock Rovers in midweek, but is likely to be on the bench against Sunderland on Sunday.

He said: "It's hard to explain the feeling when you're starting games, scoring, the team is winning and you're not playing in the next game. There's nothing more you can do as a footballer.

"If you're playing well and scoring and, the most important thing, the team is winning, and you are not being picked again, it's difficult. What else am I supposed to do?

"It's well documented that I've been in the team, scored goals and then been taken out of the team. For whatever reason, I don't know."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/997695/defoe-hints-at-tottenham-exit?cc=5739

I don't know about you guys, but I'm a huge fan of Defoe. I think he's very underused by England & Tottenham alike. He's a fantastic striker with great movement, pace and finish.

With Drogba, Kalou and Anelka all leaviing in January and with an out-of-form Torres.. Defoe would be a great signing for us. He's 29 and so he can't be expensive, £15million would be a good sum for him.

This is Tottenham we're talking about, so negotiations would not be easy. It's worth considering though.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see this one coming from MOTM :doh:

Defoe is a good player. This isn't a dig at Torres, he would be a good squad player, someone to replace Anelka. Don't be so dismissive.

Good player get him on Loan?? maybe who knows

Yeah, that's true. It depends on Tottenham's stance.. Could be another Robbie Keane affair.

I certainly see what RZA is saying, that Defoe will be a consistent scorer..much better than Torres. Good movement and such.

However as I've said before, at this stage of his career he'll want to play ever week. Maybe Fulham if Zamora leaves.

If Defoe is the bloody saviour then it's time for us to pack it in.

Not a saviour, a squad player. Someone you could call upon, in a game like this (JUST for example) instead of Kalou?

I don't mean to suggest he will be our main centre-forward. I can't emphasis this point any more.

I certainly see what RZA is saying, that Defoe will be a consistent scorer..much better than Torres. Good movement and such.

However as I've said before, at this stage of his career he'll want to play ever week. Maybe Fulham if Zamora leaves.

Yes, thank you! Someone gets my point :D

And yeah, perhaps. He has a good range of clubs he could go to, even Everton. If he was willing, this would be a good club for him.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You