Booooooing

I think to name and shame people that boo is ridiculous and is bound to cause tension. I do not agree with booing as I think while there are players on the pitch wearing a Chelsea shirt you should support them no matter what. The phrase i've heard many a time in response to the boo boys is 'Where were you when we were shit? I do think we have to get out of this mode where we expect Chelsea to be successful all of the time. You only have to look back pre-1997 and the fact the last time we'd won any silverware was 1971. I wonder if the boo boys were out in force during the intervening years, I think probably not as people got used to the fact that we hadn't won any silver ware for such a long time, but the fans carried on supporting the team no matter what.

Fully endorse that Ray -literally hundreds of games I attended in 70s and 80s and there was no boooing. If we lost, which was often, you did the decent thing and steamed into the away fans.

Better to have 12 000 singing their hearts out than 42 000 spoilt bell ends

-have to correct you on the silverware situation though -Full members Cup 1986 ? blue%20scalf.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think these days people fall into 2 categories, fans and supporters. Both support Chelsea but the fan is more likely to slag off players and boo when things are going not quite how they would like it to be. Whereas a supporter (and for many reasons there are less of them at Stamford Bridge these days) when things are tough on the pitch will usually start singing and trying to build up the atmosphere and the team. They say people have a right to boo, well of course they do, doesn't mean they should and it certainly doesn't mean it is helpful, far from it. Everybody gets tense during games particulary when a game isn't going to plan, but to take that frustration out on players or the team as a whole to me is a little stupid. I am sure they would feel much better transfering that frustration into a big chant of carefree and maybe actually help lift the players rather than hurling abuse at your own players....

A lot of people seem to have forgotten what it means to be a supporter of a football team, and especially of Chelsea.

Fully endorse that Ray -literally hundreds of games I attended in 70s and 80s and there was no boooing. If we lost, which was often, you did the decent thing and steamed into the away fans.

Better to have 12 000 singing their hearts out than 42 000 spoilt bell ends

-have to correct you on the silverware situation though -Full members Cup 1986 ? blue%20scalf.gif

Thank you for correcting me FB, I was thinking of 1971 (Cup Winners Cup) and 1970 (FA Cup) as the last time we had won a major trophy, prior to the 1997 FA Cup win, other than of course lifting the League title back in 1955.

Booing as I see it is a modern thing. The fans that boo (if you can call them fans) need to take a step back and look at our history and be made to understand that we haven't always been a successful team. I get the impression that some of the boo boys are long standing fans and who ought to know better.