With Essien out, you think Mikel will flourish?

Guest justin_3d

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that would be me then!

Starts off playing well last season then plays the rest of the season below average along with most of the team I might add, he even got dropped by Ancelotti towards the end of last season.

Oh & as for the double year, he got injured & was replaced by Ballack who showed him exactly how he should of played in that role & a major reason why we won the double that season.

He is not world class like Makelele or Essien was before he got injured, now does that make it any easier for you?

This. I have to question the knowledge of those that claims he is briliant.

Guest justin_3d

Mikel has flourished consistently in essien's presence and absence in the past. why would the case be any different now? considering the Nigerian is just entering his prime and can only get better.

Because it was either Mikel in the team, and Essien on the bench.

Both never really where wise to have at the same time.

Now with Essien out, Mikel should have more time, unless we buy one new player.

Mikel has nothing to prove.

We already know he is awful.

We need someone to replace Essien.

Yes maybe we could do with another midfielder but I dont think we need one specifically to replace Essien simply because we already have someone who can play that role and play it at a very high level, that being Ramires.

Oh that would be me then!

Starts off playing well last season then plays the rest of the season below average along with most of the team I might add, he even got dropped by Ancelotti towards the end of last season.

Oh & as for the double year, he got injured & was replaced by Ballack who showed him exactly how he should of played in that role & a major reason why we won the double that season.

He is not world class like Makelele or Essien was before he got injured, now does that make it any easier for you?

Don't flatter yourself. You're not the only fan in the forum or on the Internet who holds such an opinion.

He was our best midfielder for the first half of the season. Held our midfield on his own during November and December. Got injured and rarely started games after that. Afterwards what you described as playing below average was actually not playing much at all. The fact that he got dropped by Ancelotti doesn't affect my opinion of his ability or performances in the slightest.

Ballack played in the holding role for only a few games and once we were already on the high, killing games in the first 10 minutes and never having to defend since we were well ahead.

This. I have to question the knowledge of those that claims he is briliant.

Witty. That was not.

Yes maybe we could do with another midfielder but I dont think we need one specifically to replace Essien simply because we already have someone who can play that role and play it at a very high level, that being Ramires.

I hope you right. I wish Ramires can play this role. Im sure he has it, I always thought he's the Next Essien, the question is if he has it so early,

in his second season in the PL and CL. The main thing is his responsibility, I dont think he can be the responsible character in the midfield by imself.

He(and Mikel if he's our holder mid) need to have someone like Ballack or Essien around them. Thats what I think from seeing them until now,

maybe next season they will show they grow.

And for all the Mikel lovers( ;) ) who jump on every guy who doesnt rate Mikel like them, I got to say im hope it will be Ramires, and I will explain.

First of all, I just dont think we should play with a midfielder who doesnt threatening the opposite team. Mikel doing good job on the defensive side,

but he's far from being perfect in that area as well, he commit silly fouls, lose his focus sometimes, doesnt have the best instincts. So if you combine

his non-existent offensive game, and his good but not OUT OF THIS WORLD defensive game, you get a midfielder who is good(with his passing abillity in

the centrel of the field, does it very well actually), but he isnt a First 11 in a team like Chelsea.

He was our best midfielder for the first half of the season. Held our midfield on his own during November and December. ahead.

I realy dont think so. Essien was better then him by miles, at least until the game against fulham when Essien got his red card. Until december, Essien

realy seemed like getting back to his best, seemed like the perfect midfielder again- scored some goals, and did great job together with Mikel in the midfield.

Apparently people forgot about is great start.

Well I really think Essien and Mikel is so negative.

Even Guus never used them together only when we have to be ultra defensive.

I would love to see Mikel-Modric, or Mikel-Josh. All the creativity we need. blue%20scalf.gif

Mikel-McEachran.. Now THAT's really defensive. If we play both at the same time, they'll slow down the game, and neither of them is good offensively.

Anyways, about McEachran, I'm not quite sure where he can play in our three-man midfield. Maybe if we played 4-4-2 diamond or Milan's 4-3-1-2, we might be able to play McEachran like Pirlo. But in the 4-3-3 system, I don't really know because McEachran lacks offensive calibre, which means we'll need someone like Lampard alongside him, but at the same time, he's also slow and weak, which means that we'll need someone like Essien or Ramires. If he played DM, we'll still need someone to help him because he's not very good defensively and is weak.

AVB has reiterated it time and again, that he wants to unshackle the players and free their game of inhibitions.

In Mikel we have a player who was brilliant as an AM and was converted into the DM after signing for us, I think he would benefit the most from this philosophy of AVB and we could possibly see a new Mikel this season.

Guest justin_3d

Mikel-McEachran.. Now THAT's really defensive. If we play both at the same time, they'll slow down the game, and neither of them is good offensively.

Anyways, about McEachran, I'm not quite sure where he can play in our three-man midfield. Maybe if we played 4-4-2 diamond or Milan's 4-3-1-2, we might be able to play McEachran like Pirlo. But in the 4-3-3 system, I don't really know because McEachran lacks offensive calibre, which means we'll need someone like Lampard alongside him, but at the same time, he's also slow and weak, which means that we'll need someone like Essien or Ramires. If he played DM, we'll still need someone to help him because he's not very good defensively and is weak.

Mikel-Josh really defensive???

How??

Because Carlo made Josh a DM?

You need to look into the creativity these two. Under a system sure they where negative. But under a possible AVB system they will have freedom to do what they want.

And last you still are thinking in the old system. The system of Mourinho of power and stamina.

That will not fly with AVB. Winning with FLAIR, is something that Essien and Lampard don't have over Josh and Mikel. If AVB is serious he will exploit their talent to bring the best out of these two. Likewise with Kakuta. B)

AVB has reiterated it time and again, that he wants to unshackle the players and free their game of inhibitions.

In Mikel we have a player who was brilliant as an AM and was converted into the DM after signing for us, I think he would benefit the most from this philosophy of AVB and we could possibly see a new Mikel this season.

This.

There's a rumour heating up we're targeting Cheik Tiote as an Essien replacement.

I seem to remember we did try to lure him in January. Thoughts?

hmmmm

So so. But can't say much till an official bid is in for him. :)

Don't flatter yourself. You're not the only fan in the forum or on the Internet who holds such an opinion.

He was our best midfielder for the first half of the season. Held our midfield on his own during November and December. Got injured and rarely started games after that. Afterwards what you described as playing below average was actually not playing much at all. The fact that he got dropped by Ancelotti doesn't affect my opinion of his ability or performances in the slightest.

Ballack played in the holding role for only a few games and once we were already on the high, killing games in the first 10 minutes and never having to defend since we were well ahead.

Some on here think Henrique's arrogant, has that M.o.M title gone to you're head?!

You questioned my footballing knowledge so I being 'ONE' of those people that happened to challenge that because my perception differs from yours & you then you tell me that I shouldn't 'flatter myself'??? I am not the only one that thinks differently & wouldn't be so arrogant to think so, just because others have a different view or perceive things differently to you, it doesn't give you the right to question their knowledge & then throw in an arrogant comment to boot.

I suggest you get you're facts correct in future before posting, Ballack played 49 times that season as opposed to Mikel's 34, he stepped in the DM position when Mikel got injured, this is when we started playing some great stuff because Ballack moved the ball quicker, he can see a pass & can kick the ball forward more than 10 yards!

Now I have courage to stand by my convictions, I wonder if you & the Mikel lovers will come on & eat some humble pie if he continues his poor form under AVB? The facts are he has had 5 seasons to produce, yet we are still waiting, he now has a manager that will give him the tools to do the job he wants so now there are no more hiding places - he has to deliver & if he does I will come on here & say I was wrong. However up until now he has not shown me/others anything to suggest otherwise.

And for all the Mikel lovers( ;) ) who jump on every guy who doesnt rate Mikel like them, I got to say im hope it will be Ramires, and I will explain.

First of all, I just dont think we should play with a midfielder who doesnt threatening the opposite team.

Well, whether he threats the opposite team or not isn't a matter in itself. Actually, we have to look what goes around him to determine whether he does provide enough threat or not. Indeed, if you take a look at how the squad's, and more precisely the players', movements of last season, you could see that Ashley Cole (and Bosingwa when playing) played very high on the pitch ; Lampard and Essien were bombing forward but were quite slow to come back to defend ; Malouda wasn't really willing to provide a work rate. So, that means a lot of players were already providing a threat to the opposit team, thus our defensive line was to defend on his own.

So, perhaps Mikel wasn't providing enough threat but, he was a back up for all those people who were going forward. In another words, the threat he didn't provided was made by other players (in particulary Cole).

Then the reason - in my opinion - he wasn't going forward and wasn't involved in the attack was because he had to defend. I also believe it was an order from Ancelotti.