Diego

EskWeston

Frank Lampard's future at Stamford Bridge could be put into jeopardy with the news that Chelsea are lining-up a swoop for Brazilian midfielder Diego.

Last season's Player of the Year in the Bundesliga, Diego would cost around £25 million from Werder Bremen.

ufnlampard112.jpg

Diego is currently under contract with the German club until 2011, but Werder Bremen will be hard-pressed to turn down such an offer if Chelsea pursued their target.

According to the Sun newspaper, a Chelsea source said: "Frank's one of our most loyal players yet, unbelievably, there is still no sign of a new contract, even though we all know he can go on a Bosman soon as he has one year left on his present deal.

"Now there's a real fear the club are ready to lose him and bring in a Brazilian who has no experience of the English game."

Diego was believed to have been watched by scouts acting for Europe's top clubs at Ibrox last week where Werder Bremen lost to Rangers in the Uefa Cup.

The Chelsea source added: "There is a lot of talk going on around the club about Diego.

"There is loads of interest across Europe but Chelsea are the most likely to come up with the money."

Meanwhile, Lampard and Didier Drogba, who both missed Saturday's FA Cup defeat against Barnsley, could return to the starting line-up against Derby tonight, while Petr Cech may also be ready for a recall after missing the trip with a sprained ankle.

Derby manager Paul Jewell will once again be without injured quartet Giles Barnes, Dean Leacock, Claude Davis and Tyrone Mears for the trip to London.

In November, Chelsea won 2-0 at Pride Park thanks to goals by Salomon Kalou and Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Source: Telegraph

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theres seems a consensus amongst the media that Lampard, Drogba, Haim, Sidwell, Cudicini, Pizarro, are all on their way. Some saying Lampard to go for as little as £6 million, which is a joke but then again we let players like Duff go for next to nothing.

Diego is a really good player and would be a good replacement if its all true.

Theres seems a consensus amongst the media that Lampard, Drogba, Haim, Sidwell, Cudicini, Pizarro, are all on their way. Some saying Lampard to go for as little as £6 million, which is a joke but then again we let players like Duff go for next to nothing.

Diego is a really good player and would be a good replacement if its all true.

It's different to the Duff situation, and Duff was knackered! Every player linked to us at the moment aparently spells the end for either Drogba or Lampard, but i don't think that is true at all. I would be very very very suprised if Lampard does leave....

On Diego though, would be a decent signing, and again like other midfielders linked with us (Modric, Van Der Vaart ect..) is exactly the sort of player we need and the type we desperately need to sign in the summer.

Well diego and robinho came through the brazilian conveyabelt of young talent at the same time. I would rather have celsinho he is a better player in my opinion and still only

Well i am sure with our network of scouts the club know about him. At the moment just getting a top class playmaker is a priority for us....

I think we should of got anderson of man utd. We were linked and he wanted to come

but man scum threw 18 million at porto and it looks money well spent.

Well we can't sign everyone! And we are definately in the hunt for a playmaker now so we should get someone in this summer....

Who would be top of your list esk ?

Not really sure actually, i wouldn't mind seeing any of Modric, Van Der Vaart or Diego... can't say i have seen enough of them to say who is better ect.. all i know is that they are exactly what we need at the moment - as well as 1 top class winger..

well i cant be bothered to talk about "is lampard staying" so i'll just say that Diego is a brilliant player and if Lampard does say goodbye, he'll be a top replacement. Kaka or Diego are the best 2 choices. If lampard goes, break the bank, we'll need to!

Grant has publically stated we are not signing him.

Means we are.

I think that statement was more about Lampard than Diego! To be honest i don't see how the 2 are linked!! Lampard can stay AND we can sign Diego or any other playmaker and i think we will too....

Whats wrong with ballack esk ?

Nothing wrong with Ballack at all!

Lampard and Ballack are working very well together, but i do think we need more creativity in the middle. I think that Maka will probably retire at the end of the season, Sidwell will be sold which will leave us with 4 midfielders in our squad for 3 positions so there will be room for 1 or 2 more...

Nothing wrong with Ballack at all!

Lampard and Ballack are working very well together, but i do think we need more creativity in the middle. I think that Maka will probably retire at the end of the season, Sidwell will be sold which will leave us with 4 midfielders in our squad for 3 positions so there will be room for 1 or 2 more...

I think frank rijkaard will come in next season, and he only knows how to play one way

and that is attack. I think he might bring a barcelona playmaker they have too many

deco ineista xavi giovanni.

I think frank rijkaard will come in next season, and he only knows how to play one way

and that is attack. I think he might bring a barcelona playmaker they have too many

deco ineista xavi giovanni.

It is certainly possible and i think this summer is going to one of the most interesting in our history (unless grant manages to keep his job)....

Fantastic goal, didn't help much tho. I'm sure he scored a great Volly against us for Porto in the 04/05 UCL group stage. He has exceptional technique. Can imagine a midfield of Ballack Holding, Lampard and Diego in the Middle, Bentley and Joe Cole out wide and Drogba up front.....

Anyway Badboy, are you starting to change your mind on Ballack? you absolutely hated him last year lol. Your Ballack bashing was an integral part of TC.

Edited by OllieCFC

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You