test

Welcome to Talk Chelsea

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blueboy

Celery...

Started by Blueboy,

24 posts in this topic

Can someone please explain this whole celery-song/tradition to me? I'm a pretty new fan of the club (don't see myself as a gloryhunter though, just to make that clear ;)!!!), and don't know the history of it. Every now & then i hear about it, see it in a few vids; I am eager to know more about it. Couldn't find a topic about it with the search button, so thought i'd rather start a new topic about it :).

From what I know there's two different stories for this one. Some say that it was due to a fan who threw celery at a match and was banned because of it, the ban was then lifted because the courts said that it was not deemed as dangerous and therefore the act of actually throwing it around was started by Chelsea fans in the Shed.

Iv read somewhere before that celery started to grow on the pitch during pre-season is Gillingham FC and that it was the their fans that started the celery tradition.

I'd be happy if someone else could correct me...

Yea had to do with the bans, it was a Chelsea tradition for a long time. Well known vs. Arsenal when fans starting throwing them in 07 Carling Cup final.

I'm sure there is something about in Rick Glanvill's book. I'll have a check to see what Rick says.

Someone was throwing some lumps down from MH Upper during the Cardiff game, pure class.

Don't see it inside the grounds as much anymore but still get loads outside the pubs like at the globe on cup final day.

The most i've ever seen is at the parades - they had some cleaning up to do that day!

n5647676783185248228.jpg

pHaRaOn likes this

I had a look in Rick Glanvill's book and all it says regarding the song is that it's derived from an old knees up number 'Ask Old Brown' - lyrics go Ask old brown for tea, and all the family, if he don't oome we'll tickle his bum with a lump of celery. He then goes on to say that Chas Hodges (one half of Chas and Dave) recorded it in 1981. Micky Greenaway who was a famous Chelsea fan is to have picked up the casette version during a Chelsea tour of Sweden in 1981 and supposedly he played it over and over and therefore the song Celery as we know it today was born.

dave30 likes this

I had a look in Rick Glanvill's book and all it says regarding the song is that it's derived from an old knees up number 'Ask Old Brown' - lyrics go Ask old brown for tea, and all the family, if he don't oome we'll tickle his bum with a lump of celery. He then goes on to say that Chas Hodges (one half of Chas and Dave) recorded it in 1981. Micky Greenaway who was a famous Chelsea fan is to have picked up the casette version during a Chelsea tour of Sweden in 1981 and supposedly he played it over and over and therefore the song Celery as we know it today was born.

Thanks mate :clap:

Thanks mate :clap:

That's OK, you should get yourself a copy of the book, it's a really good read.

That's OK, you should get yourself a copy of the book, it's a really good read.

Okay, i shall have a look at it then ;). What it's called again?

Thanks :). Congrats in advance with reaching the magical number of 1000 posts btw :P

Thanks, i've made it. Here's to the next 1000....

Oh for fucks sake this comes up all the time.

Right, when Captain Birdseye bought the Bridge for £1 Marler Estates wanted to have the mining rights because they had discovered Celery deposits at around 1500ft below the Shed. Bates was having none of it, took them to the High Court and said that vegetables at that depth were endangered throughout the Western hemisphere, and that should the World Wildlife fund get involved, then Marler Estates would be taken to the Court of Human (and vegetable) Rights. They then sold the Bridge to Bates and he made the Chief Executive of Marler Estates run round the touch line with a bunch of celery rammed up his arse before the Wolves game. The rest is history.....