Buy leaders in the summer

Tomo

So net spend is the excuse?

Then how come all these years Arsenal had a great net spend but they never been in relegation zone like we was all these months?

They always finished top 4.

No, it's not an excuse but it's a contributing factor and isn't that what we're looking at? In fact Arsenal's net spend in Mourinho's time here has actually exceeded our's.

That doesn't mean that we should have been performing how we were but there were (and are) glaring holes in the squad and we haven't actually spent the money to address it. Isn't that a cause for concern for Chelsea supporters?

Are you ok with us winning the league and then saying, thats it? We won the league, now let's weaken the squad and actually sell a world-class goalkeeper to a rival against the wishes of the coach?

What we saw this summer was a coach (who underperformed this season) undermined by the owner and failed by the board. NO-ONE did their job this summer and we've sold arguably the only one of them who knew anything about football.

The future of this club is not good. We have idiots in charge and an owner who spent on average just £8 million net more in transfer fees this summer than Crystal Palace. We aren't getting Pep either.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it's not an excuse but it's a contributing factor and isn't that what we're looking at? In fact Arsenal's net spend in Mourinho's time here has actually exceeded our's.

That doesn't mean that we should have been performing how we were but there were (and are) glaring holes in the squad and we haven't actually spent the money to address it. Isn't that a cause for concern for Chelsea supporters?

Are you ok with us winning the league and then saying, thats it? We won the league, now let's weaken the squad and actually sell a world-class goalkeeper to a rival against the wishes of the coach?

What we saw this summer was a coach (who underperformed this season) undermined by the owner and failed by the board. NO-ONE did their job this summer and we've sold arguably the only one of them who knew anything about football.

The future of this club is not good. We have idiots in charge and an owner who spent on average just £8 million net more in transfer fees this summer than Crystal Palace. We aren't getting Pep either.

Yes I would have been Okay with not winning anything this year.

Said it from the beginning I would have been happy with second or third this season just as long as we introduced more younger players.

So I was all for it of not buying much just so that we can give time to younger players.

This was supposed to be that season after winning the pl last season.

Yes I would have been Okay with not winning anything this year.

Said it from the beginning I would have been happy with second or third this season just as long as we introduced more younger players.

So I was all for it of not buying much just so that we can give time to younger players.

This was supposed to be that season after winning the pl last season.

Fair enough then. If those were your expectations then I can understand why you were happy with the board weakening the squad and giving up on the title.

Unfortunately we hired a coach who bases his existence on winning. We should've hired someone like Rodgers, a man who plays young players and can't win the league. Who knows, you may well get your wish.

Character is absolutely the word I'd use. This team to me is lacking players with character.

Lampard and Terry were flawed young kids, but when it came to their football they worked relentlessly on it. They'd stay after sessions, they'd keep their fitness during the summer (JT still does that to this day) and they'd make themselves the best players they could be. They weren't the most naturally talented but they had that drive to outperform what their talents would allow.

We don't have that in our key players now. Eden Hazard has more talent than both but leaves training as soon as possible and lets his fitness go over summer. That is unacceptable to me but it says a lot about the current crop of players that we have. What we need is players with the character required and that's what Jose wanted to bring in this summer.

I think you're right that we had a total disconnect between what the board wanted and what they hired, and when push came to shove they simply didn't back him. I hope Pep embarrasses Roman again and I almost hope we get Rodgers too, because Roman needs it shoved right in his face just how much he's fucked up. And if that doesn't wake him up then I hope the CPO do.

So you want a shit manager at Chelsea, because embarrasing Roman is the mort important thing.

It was, but it was also scintillating at times. Arsenal just beat a poor Newcastle team 1-0 today having beaten City convincingly a week ago. At the end of the season both will be worth three points and if they win the league no-one will give a shit.

Well, it's either you have completely misunderstood the point or you're just conveniently ignoring it. It's not about winning ugly and "no one cares about winning ugly at the end of the season if you win the league". It's about having a definite style of play. The likes of Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man United (before Moyes and Van Gaal anyway) etc are known for playing attacking football. They combine success with style and that's what fans want to see.

Well, it's either you have completely misunderstood the point or you're just conveniently ignoring it. It's not about winning ugly and "no one cares about winning ugly at the end of the season if you win the league". It's about having a definite style of play. The likes of Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Man United (before Moyes and Van Gaal anyway) etc are known for playing attacking football. They combine success with style and that's what fans want to see.

The beauty of Mourinho's style of play, predominately in his first spell here, was that there was no definitive style of play. We could overpower teams, stop teams and outplay teams. In his second spell that was the same but as we went into the title run we closed ourselves down almost completely. With the lead we'd built up and the brilliance of Hazard that didn't matter too much but when it came to starting this season it was clear we needed something extra. We needed something to jumpstart everything and that never arrived. We needed reinforcements and instead the board weakened the squad. Nobody at the club, including the manager, seemed to know how to get us going and I think that comes from a top-down lack of ambition.

Now I don't think we'll ever play like Barca, but I don't know if I want us to. I enjoyed us being the 'anti-Barca'. I enjoyed us being a team who could soak up pressure and then hit teams on the break.

There seems to be this myth that if Jose had unlimited resources he'd build a team to park the bus. I don't think that. I think he'd build a team to play like the one's who beat Arsenal 6-0 or Swansea 5-0 but that takes it's toll on the players.

So now the board and those 'Jose Out' fans will build their hopes up for Pep and end up disappointed and we're once again looking for a style of play but without the spending power to paper over the cracks. We aren't winning the league for a while.

One thing we need going forwards is to look to buy game changers. The players that can turn a game in an instant. They usually have the class and confidence to change a game single handedly. We use to have Drogba and Lampard who at their peaks could change the game with a brilliant individual goal that came from absolutely nowhere. Remember players like Cantona, Ginola, Dicanio and Suarez who at their best could single handedly win a game and inspire the whole team to lift to another level.

Just now, Ossie the King said:

So you want a shit manager at Chelsea, because embarrasing Roman is the mort important thing.

Waking Roman up so he changes his ways is the most important thing. 

Waking somebody up who has invested so much in to this club and is just as big an influence in how Chelsea are where we are today. Why would anybody who is a Chelsea fan want to embarrass anybody at Chelsea.... 

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Waking somebody up who has invested so much in to this club and is just as big an influence in how Chelsea are where we are today. Why would anybody who is a Chelsea fan want to embarrass anybody at Chelsea.... 

He has put a lot of money in the club and doubtless the trophies wouldnt be there without his and the TV cash. However his 'hands on' approach, due to his love of football could be considered a double edged sword. Eg going to training sessions, shevchenko/torres, whereas other billionaire owners leave the staff to get on with it. Also needs putting in perspective, the club cost roughly the same as one of the yachts.

4 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Because it might be in the best interests of the club? Because his direct approach has seen us in disarray 12 years into his ownership? 

The guy has put a huge amount of money into the club but the inefficiencies he creates mean he's wasted a huge amount too. Our success has come from his money but in spite of his business practices in my opinion and if he put more qualified people in positions of power then we'd have a far more sustainable model than what we have now.