Willian

Jase

That may be true but how many times we have said that this season? Think that reasoning for Willian's performance is only valid till a certain extent.

He usually plays it safe with his passes though, so I think the mis-placed ones were out of the ordinary.

You are right though he is no Mata.

He usually plays it safe with his passes though, so I think the mis-placed ones were out of the ordinary.

You are right though he is no Mata.

Is that supposed to be a sarcasm thing by mentioning Mata.....?

actually Willian was one of the few I thought had decent games

It was mostly average today, and at times really poor...but I would put it down to tiredness more than anything else. He should have come off the pitch instead of Matic.

I meant he is no mata in that he isn't the one to creatively break down the defense even when he is connecting his passes. He is very much a work horse player.

I see...

Nobody asked Willian to be Mata but surely he can do that much much better with his final ball in the attacking third (in his own way). Was he even THAT average in this aspect when he was still at Shakhtar?

As per usual, he gets the ball and more often than not beats his man 1v1 but then looks up and it's just stagnant. No one really moving around demanding the ball so Willian just kind of runs with it aimlessly and lays it off for a fullback or something.

I thought he had a decent game, really.

As per usual, he gets the ball and more often than not beats his man 1v1 but then looks up and it's just stagnant. No one really moving around demanding the ball so Willian just kind of runs with it aimlessly and lays it off for a fullback or something.

I thought he had a decent game, really.

it seems it is hard for anyone to find Ba ,, I know i find it hard to seem him in play

This forum is embarrassing sometime, after a bad result the players topic are full of "shit", "pure shit", and full of "amazing". "as good as Ronaldo", "best CB in the world". "godlike performances" after a good result.

William had a decent game. His problem was his finishing with 2 or 3 wasteful shoots. He didn't defended well today, because the team barely had defensive duties today.

He really needs to improve his shooting next season.

Most of his goals have been fantastic, well taken strikes tbh.

I see...

Nobody asked Willian to be Mata but surely he can do that much much better with his final ball in the attacking third (in his own way). Was he even THAT average in this aspect when he was still at Shakhtar?

From what I have seen from him, he looks like he is a work horse player but lacks the final ball this can be seen by his poor scoring and assists stats not only at Chelsea but also at Shaktar and Anzi.

One of my favourite players of the season. First season here, works endlessly, amazing technique, proves he can be a very good no 10, manage to get a spot in Brazil NT. Room for improvement of course next season. But it really is worth mentioning that he just established himself like no other player i've seen for a while. :clap:

I think for his first season it's been good. Difficult for him under a new manager and coming from a shit league where all he was asked to do was attack. His defensive side and work ethic has been immense, when we have a top class forward and his decision making is better we will see the best side of this lad.

He got into the world cup squad ahead of Coutinho, Lucas, Kaka and Robinho. If that doesn't mean at least a ''good'' season then our expectations are unreachable.

I like Willian a lot and think his stats bring harsh criticism as imo he has done well and next season I think we will see a lot more from him in terms of goals and assists for sure but I would not link him getting into Brazil with form tbh. He has done well but players like Julio Cesar have virtually played most of this season without any first team football yet will find himself as no.1 keeper. Diego Alves does not even get in there. Maxwell gets in ahead of Filipe Luis while players like Henrique are in ahead of Miranda.

The manager of Brazil seems to pick players based on how he feels they fit the national team rather than based on actual club form. Heard it from other people as well. A main Brazilian football researcher who told me that players picked are never based on meritocracy but instead other factors. Can't be asked to mention them.

No discrediting Willian though. Just reiterating that I doubt it club form that influences who is picked but on the other hand if Willian was awful he probably would be sitting at home this summer.

I think that's stretching it. Willian (and also Fernandinho) are virtually the same players they were when they played for Shakhtar, so that their now receiving some recognition and getting selected for the NT isn't really an indication of how good of a season they're having. Ramires, for example, has been pretty poor this season.

I think Willian's work rate and energy is tremendous, but Schurrle can give you that for almost 15 million less than what Willian cost us. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect better quality on the ball and more end product from him. Having said that though, he very well could turnout to be a good signing for us eventually. Modric is a good example of why fans shouldn't be too quick to write off new signings.

The thing is with Modric he doesn't actually improves his end product but rather his technique and being even more complete such as now he is very good at shielding the ball, defending...etc while his goals and assists stats are virtually the same since Spurs days unless you count having 2-3 more as an amazing improvement. I feel Willian will get a bit more end product if he is able to improve his technical side. I can recall quite a few times he messed up some attacks with his crosses or wrong decision making, for example that overhead kick at City.