Chelsea Officially Signed Willian

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't get it... Stupid transfer... We really don't need him... :blink: Mata, Hazard, De Bruyne, Oscar, Moses and Schurlle were enough quality and enough quantity for 3 attacking midfielders... And also Lampard and Ramires are capable to play this position...

You can never, ever have too much quality.

lol

Nothing in this video make him look like a world beater. By the way, in both matches against Chelsea last year, Willian played better than Mata, Hazard or Oscar,

Well you obviously totally overlooked the whole point of my post. I clearly stated that we all know that Willian was a great player, my point was, using youtube to see how good a player is can be very deceiving. Sure I exaggerated about GMS, but the point is that video makes him look better than he is.

For example, that video I posted doesn't show that GMS sometimes tries to do his fancy skills and tricks when a pass is a better option. It doesn't show that he can go quiet and be marked out of games effectively by opposition if they double up on him. Youtube videos will always focus on the good and never give a full representation of a player.

Another example being, on a Dundee United forum I post on, after the announcement that Kenny Miller had retired from International football, someone posted a video showing his highlights in a Scotland shirt saying "He'll be sadly missed, thanks for the memories." Another poster then piped up, with a valid point, "Someon should make a video of all the sitters that he's missed." No doubt Kenny Miller was a great servant for Scotland but at times he was a truly awful player and the video posted didn't highlight that.

I'll say it again, so that I'm not misunderstood (again) Willian is a fantastic player, but watching a 6 minute video on youtube is definitely not the way I would form my opinion on how good he is or isn't.

maybe somebody on there way out aswell.and i still don`t want Rooney

Regarding your sig you forgot to add

Last Away defeat: Chelsea

and you can also add

Last UCL defeat: Mourinho

Reading some of the posts here have convinced me that he would be a good signing but ofc addressing the strikers' issue is more important.

Unfortunately, this would mean the end of Moses (and possibly Marin might not get much of a chance to play for us either)

btw from what I'm reading some sources say this guy is ambipedal, is that true? Cos SB Nation says he's right footed and likes to cut inside and (I believed he played in that position in our game in Donetsk)

so if that's true, he'll be forced to play on the RW since Hazard occupies the left.

So if he plays on the right will he be forced to cut in on his left?

Maybe we'll be seeing more of Oscar as a CM (against the lower level teams)?

An Oscar -- Ramires midfield partnership would be interesting to watch.

that would be exciting! Ofc we have to think about Van Ginkel too.

He'll be the first choice RW, without a doubt imo.

Hazard is the first choice LW obviously.

Mata and Oscar will play through the middle.

KDB and Schurrle to provide cover for LW and RW.

The biggest battle is undoubtedly for the CAM position as it's just hard to imagine one of Oscar and Mata to be left out of the starting lineup. Especially Mata.

Willian - Mata - Hazard

ST

Willian - Oscar - Hazard

ST

Hazard on LW, Hazard lite on RW. Very exciting that's for sure.

but in most of the videos I saw of him, he plays on the left flank, cutting to the middle more like hazard do .... I'm a bit confused here

I don't get this at all. We had too many attacking midfielders before and we spend big to get another? And an insanely overpriced one at that. Chelsea have now spent something like 150m pounds on attacking midfielders in the last three years. Something else is going to happen or this makes no sense at all.

Regardless of whether this makes sense or not (for me it's "not) or whether the price is too much or not (and for it is) we have to come to terms with the fact that the deal is done. Jose would not have spoken about it in his PC if everything hasn't already been decided.

So I guess, just like we did with Schurrle, it's time to put away the criticism of what's wrong about this deal and support the lad when he puts on a Chelsea shirt.

love this: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/tottenham-chelsea-willian?CMP=twt_gu

it's not such a stupid move, gives us quality backup-something we lacked last season, in each of the the positions off the striker- Hazard/KDB Mata/Oscar Willian/Schrulle. Little harsh on Moses but it was always just a matter of time before he moved on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10263639/Manchester-United-v-Chelsea-Rene-Meulensteen-on-his-fantastic-12-years-of-doing-the-best-job-in-the-world-at-Old-Trafford.html

“There were good players like Willian, a player who can make a difference, a player that people come to the stadium to watch. A good character too. I made United aware of him straight away when things were going belly-up. 'Have a look at him,’ I told them. At the top level you need to refresh at the right time. Like Van Persie with us last year.

Interesting.

@CHOULO19. I'll always support any Chelsea player. I just don't get this at all. And beyond that, the price is insane. Willian will improve the squad but not much because he's not replacing Moses because Moses was really never going to play anyway, he's really replacing probably De Bruyne, maybe Schurrle in terms of playing time. That means you're paying 32M pounds to upgrade from De Bruyne or Schurrle to Willian. It's a massive fee and doesn't improve the team much. Why do we only spend big on attacking midfielders? We needed a striker and haven't got one and we needed a central midfielder and got young one for the future who might not be ready for the top level. It just makes no sense and is insanely expensive.

Funny how people against a move for Willian have already forgot how stretched our squad was at the end of last season.

We had to resort to playing Bertrand in the midfield to cover for our exhausted players.

Wake up people, having Willian at the club will only help us in our quest to destroy Manchester United's dynasty and start our own as the strongest club in England and Europe.

with all due respect to some(!) members of this community, but you guys should watch a little bit more football... i see people wondering "where he'll be playing since we have Oscar, Schurrle, De Bruyne already", "why we spend this kind of money since we have tons of attacking midfielders", and so on. cmon guys, are you serious?....

first of all - with all due respect to our players, but Willian is way better than Oscar, Schurrle, Moses and KDB. The question should be: "where will KDB and Oscar be playing if Willian signs?".

second of all - open you eyes guys! Chelsea do have real problems on the right wing! There is a dead end there, we are unable to create something on the right wing, there isn't a top class right winger in our team. When Hazard's game isn't working, we're dead on the wings. Villa game proved this. Moses is a natural RW, but he's only a decent player, Oscar is shit on the RW, KDB played there but he is more of a playmaker. Willian will just fill that gap.

And I repeat myself - there are guys here talking about where he'll be playing... he'll be a starter for sure because he is way better than Oscar and KDB. I know you love this two guys and I like them, too, but Willian is from another league. Believe me when I tell you. This guy's a wizard, I've been watching him since his first days in Europe.

Hazard-Mata-Willian will tear apart every defence in EPL. So much pace, so much creativity, two wizards on the wings. We can't wait for Hazard to be the only winger in every match, we need someone else, too, to step up when Eden will be having a bad game. Stop favouring Oscar and KDB and be realistic - we need Willian, we need a guy like him on the right wing.

I do hate to sound negative over all of this, but after reading a fair bit of the guardian article above, I have this feeling in my stomach that Tottenham might report us for tapping him up...

...probably won't happen at all, but it's just a mere feeling.