Chelsea v Liverpool, my preview

Shane

In the last 5 years, I don’t think any two teams have faced each other more times than Chelsea and Liverpool have. There have been seasons when they have faced each other 5 times. Things were getting very predictable between the two and the games started to lose meaning. Last season’s Chelsea and Liverpool game was probably the most eagerly awaited meeting between the two in the league for quite some time, With Chelsea taking the win, and the week after John Terry was lifting the Premiership title. That game at Anfield was the deciding moment in the title race, I doubt any Chelsea fan was sitting down when Drogba took it around Reina to slot into an empty night (Thanks Stevie!) But tomorrow’s game has so much anticipation, it is possibly a more eagerly awaited tie thanks to one man. Fernando Torres.

We all know what happened on Monday night, So tomorrow is really a fascinating game. No one knows whether Torres will start or not, Which I think he will, I can’t see us splashing out that sort of cash and not playing him in a big game. David Luiz, is also worth a start I feel. His pace could match that of Liverpool new boy, Luiz Suarez. The Suarez deal is a funny one. Signed for Liverpool so Torres would finally have a world class partner to play upfront with, Fernando went and got one better in Didier Drogba. But Suarez is a tricky customer, Which the experience of JT could be vital. Seeing as a lot of the build up is around our number nine, That could motivate Suarez even more. He could feel he has something to prove, But Torres has something greater. Fernando has a £50,000,000 price tag to live up to, The major success in shirt sales since he signed, and he has to prove to the Liverpool fans that he was right to move.

For the first time in a while, We might not see the 4-3-3 system, To accommodate our new striker. Talks of the 4-4-2 Diamond, 4-3-1-2, 4-4-2 and 4-3-2-1 being thrown around. The most effective one I feel would be the 4-3-1-2, With Anelka playing behind. This is also a position that Florent Malouda could play in if Carlo wants to leave out Drogba or Torres. Certainly both Anelka and Malouda’s pace could really add something to our build up, they could inject pace into it, both have quick feet, both can finish well but they also can shoot from distance. The decision whether to start Luiz and drop either Bosingwa or Ivanovic is a tough one for Ancelloti, but I have a feeling he will be brave and thrown Luiz into the mix.

Liverpool themselves have a few selection headaches, Jamie Carragher just back from injury could start, and there likely to put the young English left back Martin Kelly expected to start. They seem to play 4-4-2 under Daglish, But they’ll probably play a midfield three tomorrow, with Gerrard, Lucas and Meireles who has been impressive of late.

Predicted line ups:

Chelsea:

Cech

Ivanovic – Luiz – Terry – Cole

Lampard – Mikel – Essien

Anelka

Drogba – Torres

Liverpool:

Reina

Kelly – Carragher – Skertel – Johnson

Gerrard – Lucas – Meireles

Kuyt – Suarez – Aurelio

The Key of the game will more than likely be the midfield. If Lucas, Gerrard and Meireles can get the better of our midfield three, They have the chance to rattle us and nick a goal. Quick ball up to their front three and they can make things happen, Especially Suarez who has something to prove. For us, the midfield will be vital, Essien really needs to step it up. The Torres and Drogba partenership, If they both start will be interesting, Because if they click they have the potential to be the best in world football. While I do think Liverpool are a completely changed team from under Hodgson, I feel that Chelsea will have too much for them. The additions of Luiz and Torres could really lift the team, And If Nicolas Anelka has a game like he did against Sunderland, and plays behind the front two, Lucas could have a long game ahead of him. If Carragher starts, Its an area which could be exploited, If he does, as the game wears on expect Kalou to be brought in, he could really exploit him with his pace. The power of Chelsea’s strikeforce against the Liverpool defence, along with a better midfield will be too much in my opinion.

Predicition: Chelsea 2 – 0 Liverpool, with Drogba with both.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikel must start. His presence allows Cole and Bosingwa to bomb forward. Essien isn't disciplined enough for a diamond/4-3-1-2. In fact I'd pick Ramires over Essien as the shuttler in midfield alongside Lampard.

--------Mikel---------

Ramires--Lampard

------Anelka---------

Mikel and Essien together? I'd rather play Mikel and Ramires or Essien and Ramires. Don't think its a good idea to play them together as they're both defensive. But still, it could work to stop Liverpool's passes and attempts to attack. You never know what's in Carlo's mind really.

Mikel and Essien together? I'd rather play Mikel and Ramires or Essien and Ramires. Don't think its a good idea to play them together as they're both defensive. But still, it could work to stop Liverpool's passes and attempts to attack. You never know what's in Carlo's mind really.

we played them together last game and as a team we played tremendously. i would prefer ramires in there too tho

Last time Lucas was a big factor in Liverpool beating us. We must close him down, which puts Gerrard under pressure, thus crumbling the structure of the Liverpool set up. Suarez is still a big threat and as such, Terry will have a big job on his hands defending vs him.

I don't see Ivanovic being pushed to right-back. I think him and Terry will start, then Luiz will be brought on in the 2nd half.

I really do hope we win this, for some reason i'm not confident with a win. Though i think this is important, we don't want to give Tottenham the chance to jump in front of us, 4th is bad as it is.

Last time Lucas was a big factor in Liverpool beating us. We must close him down, which puts Gerrard under pressure, thus crumbling the structure of the Liverpool set up. Suarez is still a big threat and as such, Terry will have a big job on his hands defending vs him.

I don't see Ivanovic being pushed to right-back. I think him and Terry will start, then Luiz will be brought on in the 2nd half.

Yeah i agree i could see them both CD.

In fairness though, Mikel and Essien can handle Gerrard and Lucas, people seem to forget, This is the same Michael Essien that complely marked Gerrard, Fabregas and Xavi out of it.

Oh and Torres must start as well. He is a big match player.

In fairness though, Mikel and Essien can handle Gerrard and Lucas, people seem to forget, This is the same Michael Essien that complely marked Gerrard, Fabregas and Xavi out of it.

That's 2 years ago. We all know he isn't the same anymore. On current form, Ramires > Essien.

The problem with Liverpool games is you dont know what you are going to get.

In Chelsea games in the most recent past they either come into it with a real seige mentality attitude (2 CL semi wins and their 1-0 win at SW6 when we had Scolari) or just turn up and cant be bothered (4-1 and 3-1 at Anfield plus the 2 games last season) with all the stuff going on in the last week i cant for the world see the latter. What im worried about is Carragher, Skrtel or Stevie ME trying to injure Torres.Im torn on whether Torres starts TBH there are pros and cons for both.