How Chelsea rejected Van Der Vaart

LDN Blue

Chelsea rejected Van Der Vaart for Ramires

Chelsea turned down the chance to sign Dutch star Rafael van der Vaart in the summer, according to reports.

The midfielder has quickly established himself as a fan favourite at Tottenham Hotspur since his £8million move to the club with goals and attacking flair to help Harry Redknapp's team stay in the hunt for a first ever Premier League trophy.

Champions Chelsea, who are currently just one point ahead of Spurs, decided to splash the cash on Brazilian youngster Ramires instead.

A Chelsea insider told The Sun: "We had a call to say Jose Mourinho was ready to let Van der Vaart leave Real Madrid for around £10million and did we want him.

"But it was decided he wasn't good enough so we passed on him. That's not looking the best of decisions is it? Our midfielders are too alike - they are strong and powerful, good athletes but not with a great deal of invention."

Hands up if you're surprised (keeps hands down.)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Epic fail.

Posted: 26 July 2010 - 12:31 PM

Van der Vaart would be a excellent signing. This guy is a fantastic playmaker and has fantastic skill and technique. He also has a great shot. Without a doubt one of the best when it comes to the ''number 10'' role. McEachran could learn a lot from him and take his spot after a few years when VDV isn't up to it anymore.

IMO the missing link to our midfield. He has the creativity and technique and skill our midfield is currently lacking. This guy also scores goals so our midfield would be packing a lot of firepower.

................Essien.............................

.................................Lamps............

..................VDV...................................

This guy is world-class and i can't remember how many times i said we should've signed him. Sigh, what a missed opportunity

"But it was decided he wasn't good enough so we passed on him. That's not looking the best of decisions is it? Our midfielders are too alike - they are strong and powerful, good athletes but not with a great deal of invention."

Nothing but the truth.

:lol: the emphasis isn't on us signing Ramires, it's not signing VdV ;)

That's what I'm saying - had we signed VdV and had he 'flopped' like some think Ramires has, we would be saying how we let go of Ramires for this guy :D

It's only because he's been an instant hit that we're talking about him, had Ramires got some goals for us by now, this would be a non issue :D

That's what I'm saying - had we signed VdV and had he 'flopped' like some think Ramires has, we would be saying how we let go of Ramires for this guy :D

It's only because he's been an instant hit that we're talking about him, had Ramires got some goals for us by now, this would be a non issue :D

Haha agreed.. But remember, Ramires is defensive so no-one expects him to grab goals, like Van Der Vaart is. I like Ramires, what he's doing in the team, showing good improvement. But I don't see why we didn't give VdV a chance for that price, we have enough to sign him and Ramires :D LOL

Hindsight's a great thing isn't it. We wouldn't be discussing this had VdV 'flopped', 'like Ramires' whistling.gif

But he didn't and that's because he's a great player cool.gif.

And it's not even neccisarily about how great VDV is doing, it's more about what he would offer to the team. Skill, technique, vision, great passing, goal-scoring ability and creativity. Things this team need has seriously been lacking. I'm not one of those who says/said Ramires is a flop but he doesn't offer us anything we didn't already have.

And what I really don't get is what stopped them (the board) from getting both.

People expected goals from Ramires laugh.gif?

Haha agreed.. But remember, Ramires is defensive so no-one expects him to grab goals, like Van Der Vaart is. I like Ramires, what he's doing in the team, showing good improvement. But I don't see why we didn't give VdV a chance for that price, we have enough to sign him and Ramires :D LOL

It's not even neccisarily about how great VDV is doing, it's more about what he would offer to the team. Skill, technique, vision, great passing, goal-scoring ability and creativity. Things this team need has seriously been lacking. I'm not one of those who says/said Ramires is a flop but he doesn't offer us anything we didn't already have.

And what I really don't get is what stopped them from getting both.

Tbf the only thing I can come up with is maybe his form at Real - granted he didn't play many games, but he didn't really set the Bernabeu on fire.

That or maybe the club thought Mikel needed competition for his place, while freeing up Essien to play a more forward role, much like Lamps.

Just to be clear, I agree - VdV would have benefited us greatly, but then it's all about ifs and buts ... well imo anyway.

People expected goals from Ramires laugh.gif?

I'm not saying people expected goals from him, but had he scored some, it would have silenced those who were saying he's too defensive and doesn't get forward much. Hope you get the point now ...

ignore?

:D see my post above this one.

Ah I see :)

And yeah Max, you're probably right. Still, it's such a standard thing for Chelsea to do, I guess to some extent we can understand because of the point you made about lack of game time, but just imagine if we'd taken that gamble.. We'd say "what blip?" :lol:

Ah well.. What could've been hey?..

Despite he makes a brilliant performance with spurs now , but i don't like his style in playing and also he will be 28 next february

and i prefer to sign a smaller one such hamsik , pastore ans hazard

we should look forward to far future by signing a smaller gifted players