Wigan 0-6 Chelsea

BlueLion.

blueflags.jpgChelsea threw down an early marker for the season with a stunning 6-0 rout of Wigan Athletic.

Florent Malouda gave the champions an interval lead when he slotted home after Frank Lampard had bought a fine save out of Chris Kirkland, and Nicolas Anelka doubled the Blues' advantage after the half-time break. The French striker - given an eighteen-match exile from representing his country - showed his quality to make it 3-0, before substitute Salomon Kalou added a quickfire double.

Yossi Benayoun then came off the bench to score his first goal for the club to seal an emphatic victory, and lay down a marker to the Blues' challengers - Chelsea will not lightly surrender their Premier League crown this season.

The champions were excellent after the half-time break but were given a stern test by a Wigan side who had more than a point to prove after their 8-0 thrashing at Stamford Bridge in May. And having lost their opening fixture at the DW Stadium to newly-promoted Blackpool, the Latics were resilient and also posed a serious threat to Petr Cech's clean sheet run.

But quality ultimately prevailed, and Carlo Ancelotti will be able to sit back and relax whilst fellow title rivals Manchester United and Manchester City take to the fore against Fulham and Liverpool respectively.

After a commanding performance against West Bromwich Albion on opening day, there was little surprise to see Ancelotti make only side to his free-scoring side, with the fully-fit Serbian defender Branislav Ivanovic reinstated at right-back.

Wigan began the game looking far better than they had against Blackpool - although it was not difficult to improve on their dismal defending against the Tangerines. But for all their early possession, however, they were limited to two long range attempts from Maynor Figueroa and the lively Hugo Rodallega, but Cech saved both efforts with a degree of ease.

But as soon as Rodallega again stung the Czech's gloves, Chelsea were counter-attacking and scoring after their first meaningful foray forward; Malouda tapping home after Lampard's shot had been stopped by an exposed Chris Kirkland.

The hosts were not yet done and regained their composure, but their efforts proved pointless as Anelka doubled the lead in superb fashion. John Mikel Obi's magnificent long ball forward was hit first-time by the under-fire French striker, and his low effort nestled in the back of the net for his first goal of the season.

If the first Chelsea goal had been about speed, passing and movement, the second was purely about Mikel's raking through-ball - and Anelka's finish was equally as impressive.

James McCarthy poked wide and Charles N'Zogbia was stopped only by brilliant defending by Alex da Costa as the hosts looked to hit back, but Anelka was on hand to bury his second of the game with an easy header after Drogba's cross from the wing.

Drogba was beginning to get more involved in the game after a quiet first half, and though he could only fire into the wall from a freekick, he soon showed his incredible ability when he turned his marker and selfishly thread the ball to Kalou to score his first of the Premier League season.

The champions were on the march, but their Ivorian duo were not contented with a four-goal lead. Drogba completed a hat-trick of assists when he launched a teasing cross into the six yard box which Kalou headed home with aplomb.

Chelsea were not finished and there was time for Yossi Benayoun to score his first goal for the club after Ferreira had supplied the perfect cut-back from the byline to set the Israeli up.

Stoke are next up for the Blues at Stamford Bridge - the last time these two teams met it was 7-0. Maybe lightning will strike twice?

Chelsea (4-3-3): Cech; Ivanovic (Ferreira), Alex, Terry ©, Cole; Essien (Benayoun), Mikel, Lampard; Anelka, Drogba, Malouda (Kalou)

Wigan (4-4-1-1): Carson ©; Gohouri, Alcaraz, Stam, Figueroa (Boyce); Thomas, N'Zogbia, Diame (McArthur), McCarthy (Watson); Rodallega, Boselli

The TalkChelsea.net Man of the Match was Chelsea's number 3, ASHLEY COLE

kingcole.jpg

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Would have thought Mikel would be the MoM.mellow.gif

can't wait for the full report. Seems like we have a manager who can beat Mourinho in terms of bringing success to the club, can he actually bring in the CL this season?

Would have liked Borini to have come on, but hey we thrashed them and that's the overall result.

blue%20scalf.gif

I was shocked when Drogs passed that ball to kalou, just because he would of scored. Kalou even seemed a bit shocked stutter stepped for a millisecond. Beautiful decision though by Drogba. Shows his maturity. Solid game. Second half completely different from the first. Started where we left off last year.

just over a year ago malouda was hated ,,,consider ....

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I was one of those who saw "malouda" on the team sheet and cringed. But my god, what a turn around he's made! This is why I don't hate on Kalou anymore, because I know he can turn it around

Yeah, I hate to admit it, but I was one of those who saw "malouda" on the team sheet and cringed. But my god, what a turn around he's made! This is why I don't hate on Kalou anymore, because I know he can turn it around

i got grief from my sons for backing malouda ,,,they are quiet about it now