Swp Hails Chelsea Spirit After Last-gasp Win

Steve

Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips hailed his side's team spirit after the Blues' 10 men saw off Everton 2-1 in the first leg of their Carling Cup semi-final at Stamford Bridge.

The visitors paid for two moments of dreadful defending as Wright-Phillips was gifted acres of space to fire Chelsea ahead in the first half before the same player pressurised Joleon Lescott into heading an own-goal winner in injury-time.

In between, Ayegbeni Yakubu had levelled for Everton with a fine finish after Mikel John Obi was handed a straight red for a lunge at Phil Neville. 'It was all down to hard work and team spirit - that's how we train and we had to take it on the pitch,' Wright-Phillips told Sky Sports 1.

'The character, team spirit and everything we showed today when down to 10 men - Everton are a hard team with good players.

'It's easy to lose games, we had to stay compact and concentrate.'

The man of the match was confident enough to try to hijack Lescott's own-goal as his after he leapt with the Everton defender.

'Of course I touched it and I'm going to claim it.'

Everton manager David Moyes was left to rue his team's late aberration.

'It's really hard to take,' he told Sky Sports 1.

'In the big games you've got to go right to the end, but I have to say Chelsea are a really good side.

'But we have still got a chance.

'It was a hard place to come and we are disappointed to lose the game but we're not out yet.'

The Scot also questioned whether Lescott was fouled in the process of scoring his own goal.

'I just don't know if Shaun Wright-Phillips holds him down slightly,' he observed.

Source: Soccernet.com

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'I just don't know if Shaun Wright-Phillips holds him down slightly,'

Its a fair bet the only way the smallest player on the pitch was gonna get his head on that was with a bit of leverage eh Moyes? man's a genius.

Totally agree with Shauny about the spirit, its been a while since I've felt pride like that at the end of a game. We were totally in control before the sending off anyway and considering the players we've got out it was an impressive display. Kept their heads up after the red and always looked to be pushing for the win - injustice is a great motivator.

Last time felt that proud was against 10 men Arsenal and didnt think we were gana get that again with Jose gone etc etc but they played their socks off yesterday and meh to Moyles.Now you cant try and head the ball?Bog off lol.

And feel so proud of Shauny mean he played well at the start of the season then didnt play for a while then was kinda hmmmm and yesterday :D and I hope Capello took many notes cause he defo deserves to start in Feb

And again showing we're not a one man team

Edited by Layla

It was certianly a performance to be proud of, even before the sending off. Had we had Drogba, Lamps, JT and Cech in the starting line up we would have demolished that Everton team last night. With all the injuries and the ACN it may JUST stop us from being able to win the league, but when we get our players back we will be a force thats for sure.

I think we have had this kind of spirit for a long time but perhaps not shown very much of it recently.

This reminded me very much of when we were down to ten men in the Arsenal game, it brings back our fighting spirit and that is so symptomatic of Mourinho's era because he was such a figher too.

I thought with Grant that would fade away with time but we showed it again against Everton.

So pleased for SWP but if only he could do this more regularly!

It was certianly a performance to be proud of, even before the sending off. Had we had Drogba, Lamps, JT and Cech in the starting line up we would have demolished that Everton team last night. With all the injuries and the ACN it may JUST stop us from being able to win the league, but when we get our players back we will be a force thats for sure.

Don't you think part of the reason we were so up for it from the off was because so many first team players aren't around? Not only do they all have to raise their games to compensate but also to give Grant decisions to make (god forbid)?

Don't you think part of the reason we were so up for it from the off was because so many first team players aren't around? Not only do they all have to raise their games to compensate but also to give Grant decisions to make (god forbid)?

I don't know, maybe. Before when we have had our key players missing we tend to underperform and struggle....maybe it was because we have had to do it for a long while now and the players are used to each other but it was the best performance i have seen us play without our best players.

SWP was good in the middle -the next three games we only really have Sidwell and Ballack in the middle.

Wassup with Makalele -someone said he has an ear??? infection.

Yup something with the ear, he had to have an opperation. SWP was cack until he scored the goal i though, i have never seen a player who needs confidence more than him. We are desperately short of cover in the midfield and Sidwell really needs to pick his game up sharpish.

Yup something with the ear, he had to have an opperation. SWP was cack until he scored the goal i though, i have never seen a player who needs confidence more than him. We are desperately short of cover in the midfield and Sidwell really needs to pick his game up sharpish.

Really ? I thought SWP apart from the odd first touch letting him down, was excellent. Worked really well with Cole, Malouda, excellent short passing along with Bridge and Belletti as wing backs.

Still the forum would be bland as fuck if we all thought the same :)

Really ? I thought SWP apart from the odd first touch letting him down, was excellent. Worked really well with Cole, Malouda, excellent short passing along with Bridge and Belletti as wing backs.

Still the forum would be bland as fuck if we all thought the same :)

Indeed it would, and i think the chances of everyone agreeing are very very unlikely!!! :)

I though SWP had a great game overall, MOTM behind Ballack for me. But until the goal i though he was very poor and frustrating, lost the ball in good areas too much.

No reason why we couldnt play Belletti in midfield. He has 2 great feet and can go past players no problem. He has impressed me with his attacking play and would certainly provide something different while we have players missing.

No reason why we couldnt play Belletti in midfield. He has 2 great feet and can go past players no problem. He has impressed me with his attacking play and would certainly provide something different while we have players missing.

I doubt belletti would be very effective down the middle. The most likely is that we will see Sidwell holding with Ballack and SWP going forward, not the greatest midfield but should be enough to see us through if we can get a decent striker.

I'd have given MOTM to Ballack as well.

He was quality in that game and controlled all our attacking play. I would say that our best midfield would be Mikel, Ballack and Lampard. Which bizarely means leaving out last seasons player of the year Essien..

He was quality in that game and controlled all our attacking play. I would say that our best midfield would be Mikel, Ballack and Lampard. Which bizarely means leaving out last seasons player of the year Essien..

Essien hasn't had the same impact so far this season, whether thats a physical or psychological thing who knows? Mikel, as kamikazee like as he is at times (and I actually think he's calmed it down a bit) is turning into a very important player for us, he was really impressive before he was carded. I had a feeling Ballack would come through for us this season and the signs are good so far, he really seems to have turned his game around........in response to the doubters or Jose's departure?