Chelsea Launch Cole Red Card Appeal

Steve

LONDON, Dec 26 (Reuters) - Chelsea are to appeal against Ashley Cole's red card after the defender was sent off in the last minute of his side's 4-4 draw with Aston Villa on Wednesday.

Cole was dismissed for handball after stopping Gabriel Agbonlahor's header. Gareth Barry converted the penalty to give Villa the draw and cost Chelsea points in the Premier League title race.

'I saw it again on the television and it was not a penalty but I cannot change it,' Chelsea coach Avram Grant said.

Defender Ricardo Carvalho was sent off for a two-footed tackle on Agbonlahor 10 minutes earlier and both he and Cole face suspension.

Villa manager Martin O'Neill had no doubts about the penalty. 'Cole has handled the ball and I think it is clear and the linesman has spotted it,' he said.

With injuries to John Terry, Didier Drogba and Florent Malouda and stand-in captain Frank Lampard limping off with a thigh injury, Chelsea's squad is stretched to the limit. They have Premier League fixtures against Newcastle United and Fulham over the next six days.

Holding midfielder Claude Makelele is also out of action for a 'few weeks', the club said, after having an ear operation. Second choice goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini is another player on the treatment table.

'It is not easy times but since the first day I was here it has not been easy with all the injured players,' Grant said.

Source: WWW.SOCERNET.COM

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ref was going to play on until the Linesman ( ref's assistant my arse) started waving his flag like some epileptic on the touchline. It was only when he went over to consult him did he decide to send Ash off.

How many more times do things such as this have to continue to happen before they take 2 seconds to speak to the 4th official who can look at a monitor and inform the ref of the correct decision to make after seeing a replay.

For the sake of 5-10 seconds would put an end to all this madness which we see every single week.

Its not rocket science FFS.

And yeh vid replays would break up the game but save a lot of hassel and critcism afters esp after the weekend with 2 'was it werent it over the line etc'.

With luck for once something good will come out of an appeal

well it didn't hit the arm so it must be recinded unless the idiots see the same as what the lino apparently saw. Anyway i don't really care about the red card, its the award of the penalty that really pisses me off. Fucking linesman just guess everything. And Martin o'neil says the officials decisions went against villa? Hes a wanker that guy, always thought so and wont change my mind. Our pen looked pretty fucking blatant to me. What over decisions did we wrongly get? fucking prick....the his team get out of jail thanks to a blatant linesmans guess.....yeah ok.