Much Better Now Or In 2004?

James

Do you think we've improved alot over the last 6 years or do you prefer the team Jose had in his first season?

This is the list of players who played more than 25 PL matches under Jose in 2004/05.

Cech

Bridge

JT

Ricky

Fereira

Maka

Tiago

J Cole

Lamps

Duff

Tiago

Robben

Eidur

Drogba

Our 13 man equivalent now is say

Cech

Ash

JT

Ricky

Boswinga

Mikel

Ballack

J Cole

Lamps

Malouda

Essien

Anelka

Drogba

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like i always say when people ask me this question. In 2004 Chelsea weren't known as the team they are today. Today teams lift when they play Chelsea.

If you watch how Manchester City played against us then watch how they played the next week you can see how evident it is.. After beating us they drew 3-3 then lost 3-0.. Watch how well Wigan played against us and then how they played the next week. They lost 2-1 then drew 1-1.

Playing against Chelsea takes alot out of other teams..

Now take this same Chelsea team and put them in the 2004 comp, It would have been over by December.... With the mercy rule brought back..

Edited by gary gordon

It is a very tough question actually.

I think i actually prefer the 2004 team. Who would win up against each other. Well with Robben and Duff on the wings and Maka, Lamps and Eidur in midfield i think the 2004 team may well come out on top. I think i prefer the 4-3-3 especially with Wingers like Robben and duff.

The question is, where would you replace in the 2004 team with a 2010 player? Definately Ash at left back, probably Bosingwa at right back - The only other would be Essien for Eidur.

Although they are probably pretty even in most respects because the other way around i would only replace Maka for Mikel, Robben for Malouda and Duff in for Anelka - but that is debateable :)

Lol, gone around in circles. I think they are pretty even just with different styles.

If we'd have had our current squad in the 04/05 season I think we'd have won more than what we actually did. The title is much more hotly-contested nowadays, the other teams in the league have improved massively, and there are probably four teams capable of winning the title in comparison to just us and Arsenal a few years back.

Well our team now has much more experience in it but maybe less pace so its a near draw but I will go for 2009/2010 Chelsea because this team will win the triple. :champions:

Edited by Blueman

In 2004 I dont think the pressure was as great and we were just playing football for the fun of it and got rewarded in the end for playing with no fear.

Now I think theres more pressure on us to succeed on all fronts.

We've kept the spine of the team...Cech, JT, Lampard and Drogba. That has been vital imo to why we've been consistent over the last few years. Many teams would have fallen away by now to mid table obscurity. The mindset of the squad built up by Jose has also carried us through alot of difficult times, especially under the Grant and Scolari era.

Even today Joses influence is still evident.

It's strange because in the 04-05 season i felt so confident. Every game we played I thought... we can't lose this. But now... even though I think we have a stronger squad... I don't feel as confident going into games and am just waiting for us to slip up and i don't know why. This started happening as soon as Grant took charge so maybe it has something to do with that.

I think the present team contains better players, if you just look at what they have done earlier in their careers. But the 2004 edition worked better as a unit in my opinion. Which was good. To me, it's not about having the worlds-best player in it's position (though that would be nice to watch), but the players who work well together as a team. Manchester United is a good example. The last three years we've had a better team when it comes to big names, but still they have won the league every year. Because they've got players who work better together.