Chelsea Boss Grant: Abramovich Decides Transfers

Chelsea boss Avram Grant has finally admitted what fans have suspected for a long time: when it comes to transfers, owner Roman Abramovich has the final say.

Ahead of the forthcoming January transfer window, Chelsea manager Avram Grant has spoken about how arrivals and departures are agreed upon at Stamford Bridge.

The Russian has always been viewed as a very 'hands-on' owner, and it was his interference in the day-to-day running of the club that allegedly caused friction between Jose Mourinho and the board.

Grant, however, stressed he and Abramovich work well together. "I have a good relationship with the owner and we speak regularly," Grant told The Times. "I need to do my job and he knows that. If I want a player, as a manager there will be a discussion about it. We talk about everything." But any new arrival must get Abramovich's approval first. "I'm looking first for the right players and then we will discuss whether that player is the right one for the owner," said the Israeli.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, what a load of s**t, what manager in the world doesn't have to get their transfers agreed by the owner or the board first....

I was thinking that myself, Its his money afterall.

But still, dunno about this Sheva/Ballack thing. Were they forced onto Jose.???

I've read a few things about certain players being offered to him in the past by RA and he turned them down as he didnt see them fitting into the way he wanted the team to play. Now I think things will be different with Grant. We could be getting players in because of who they are and not what they can do.

I've read a few things about certain players being offered to him in the past by RA and he turned them down as he didnt see them fitting into the way he wanted the team to play. Now I think things will be different with Grant. We could be getting players in because of who they are and not what they can do.

Well Jose said that Sheva and Ballack were NOT forced on him, and in reality which manager in the world at that time would not have taken them?

Again i am sure that all owners and board memebers recommend players all of the time also. I really wouldn't read to much into these stupid stories as they have no basis in fact at all.

If we sign any players i am sure it will be a case of everyone sitting down and working out what type of players we need and then what players fit that bill, and then are they good enough.

My thoughts are we need another winger, a midfielder and a proven striker.

Quaresma, as much as I think he's a tit, is the best option out there for width atm.

Arteta is a player I admire a lot. Proven in the Prem and can play anywhere across the midfield and gives you a bit of creative edge.

I feel we need a goal poacher in the Inzaghi, Lineker mould. I'm not saying make a move for Inzaghi, but that type of player who can sniff out a chance and poke it home.

My thoughts are we need another winger, a midfielder and a proven striker.

Quaresma, as much as I think he's a tit, is the best option out there for width atm.

Arteta is a player I admire a lot. Proven in the Prem and can play anywhere across the midfield and gives you a bit of creative edge.

I feel we need a goal poacher in the Inzaghi, Lineker mould. I'm not saying make a move for Inzaghi, but that type of player who can sniff out a chance and poke it home.

I would agree a wingerm a creative midfielder and a striker is needed to improve our squad, but all 3 must be of the highest quality because we have enough squad players in those positions.

There have been plenty of players touted as potential targets for us especially in the midfield and striker positions.

Why would we need another winger? We have Joe, SWP, Malouda and Kalou. Don`t forget that we still have Sinclair and i don`t see any point of bringing another winger. Pizarro out and bring striker that can lead attack by himself. Maybe Rafael from HSV.

Why would we need another winger? We have Joe, SWP, Malouda and Kalou. Don`t forget that we still have Sinclair and i don`t see any point of bringing another winger. Pizarro out and bring striker that can lead attack by himself. Maybe Rafael from HSV.

We need another winger in General, but what we do need is a top top class winger, we need the sort of wingers of the likes of Duff and Robben who are going to cause nightmares. I don't think SWP and Malouda especially have that quality.

Another reason why Mourinho finally probably walked away from it all - he couldn't buy the players he wanted for his system to work and to play according to his ideals.

Grant has simply confirmed in a roundabout way what I guessed for sometime that there was a battle royal waging before this over player buys and that was causing serious problems for Mourinho.

According to some sources, Mourinho during the last season or so found he could not buy the players he wanted unless Roman or his hangers on liked them too.

If they did then money could be found, if not then forget it get lost.

And to those who say "well what's wrong with Roman having the say on who finally gets bought in? It's his club and his money?".

Ask yourself this question, if Sir Alex Ferguson wanted a particular player and the Glazers came along and said "sorry don't want you buying that player look for another one".

How do you think Alex Ferguson might respond to that input? Do the Glazers despite owning the club and being very wealthy men have the football acumen to tell Sir Alex which players would be best playing for him?

I suggest the answer is no, otherwise Sir Alex might just as well not be manager.

I don't see why Mourinho should have had to put up with similar treatment. You either trust your manager or you don't and ultimately player buys should be his final choice not yours. Roman obviously couldn't stop wanting to meddle, money and power does not make you a footballing know it all.

Grant is obviously very much in Roman's pocket and will calmly accept any player Roman wants on the squad, although lets hope Grant has some balls and can refuse ones he feels do not help the squad get stronger.

There will be no more rows about player buys or transfers now that Grant is on board that's for sure.

On the plus side he will get cash (which Mourinho was denied) when he wants but the players he buys will be all authorised by Roman and all wanted by Roman.

You sense some players bought by Mourinho early on would not have been purchased if Roman had got his way, it was only when the distrust between them grew that Roman started digging his heels in and started interfering not wanting players that don't fit in with his obsession with the likes of Ronaldinho etc.

Edited by pluto

yes we definately need a winger but i suspect the immediate need of african nations cover will previal in jan

Absolutely, i would be very supsrised if we signed a winger in January. I think we will go for a striker and a midfield playmaker and maby a young signing or 2 like this Argentine kid we have aparently snapped up.