Sturridge To Start

<H3 id=headline class=headline>STURRIDGE TO START </H3>Posted on: Tue 27 Oct 2009Carlo Ancelotti will give a full debut to Daniel Sturridge as he makes changes to the side to face Bolton in the Carling Cup.

The Chelsea manager has indicated he will adopt a similar policy to the one used in the previous round against Queens Park Rangers. Then some of the lesser-used squad members were given starts and a few young players were involved.

Sturridge, who has made three sub appearances since his summer switch from Man City, was injured for that third round tie, but now the 20-year-old striker's time has come.

'It is the moment for Sturridge to play and I hope that he will do his best on the pitch,' Ancelotti announced after Tuesday's training.

'We have trust in his quality. He didn't have the possibility in the last month to play but tomorrow I would like to see him at his best.

'I have a lot of players who didn't play a lot of time in the previous games like Sturridge, like Paulo Ferreira, like Joe Cole, like Juliano Belletti, like Alex and I want to use these players to improve their condition. This isn't specifically a competition for young players.'

Ancelotti has listed teenagers Jeffrey Bruma and Fabio Borini as among the subs for Wednesday. Also on the bench will be Nemanja Matic, the 21-year-old Serb midfielder yet to start since he joined in August.

Ruled out injured are Jose Bosingwa, Ashley Cole, Yury Zhirkov, John Mikel Obi and Sam Hutchinson. All have a chance of being fit for the trip to Madrid next week.

Rested for the first meeting with Bolton this week will be John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho, Nicolas Anelka and Petr Cech.

'The Carling Cup is important because it is the first final of the season and we want to be in this final,' Ancelotti stated. 'It is the first title and we have a good opportunity tomorrow. We change some players but I think we will put on the pitch a very competitive team.'

The manager reported that no players have been diagnosed with swine 'flu despite the virus striking last Saturday's opponents Blackburn. With Bolton also previously infected, it's becoming one of football's talking points of the week, but Ancelotti is not concerned.

'The 'flu is not only on the pitch, it is everywhere and we take all the precautions and we want to think only about playing.

'I am not a doctor but I know very well what to do when I have the 'flu. It is not medical, it is my grandmother's prescription - hot milk and red wine - fantastic!'

On medical matters, Ancelotti was able to give news on his ill father, whom he has visited in Italy twice in the last week.

'My father is improving day by day.'

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Terminator, do you ever do anything other than moan mate? :lol: Although I do see where you're coming from.

I'm looking forward to seeing how well Sturridge does. Hopefully he'll play well and manage to get himself on the scoresheet! I'd like to see Ferreira and Alex both involved too, preferrably from the start.

I reckon only Anelka or Frank would have scored that tbh. Despite his form, Drogba is actually an average finisher and Kalou's hopeless when it comes to that sort of chance. Anelka and Frank on the other hand are absolutely lethal, so in fairness to the lad, it was a difficult chance to take and he was only a few inches off the mark.

Lol, Sturridge is so left footed! he was getting knocked about quite abit too, seemed weak imo.

Hope he doesn't come out after this and say "I can do better" blah blah because we know he can. Just do the talking on the pitch.

In Jan he'll be up front with Anelka I suppose, and Franco and co.

I reckon only Anelka or Frank would have scored that tbh. Despite his form, Drogba is actually an average finisher and Kalou's hopeless when it comes to that sort of chance. Anelka and Frank on the other hand are absolutely lethal, so in fairness to the lad, it was a difficult chance to take and he was only a few inches off the mark.

I 100% agree with this post, for all the goals he gets drogba aint the best finisher in the world. Anelka and lampard on the other hand have composure and skill infront of goal. Drogba is so complete though so it makes up for it all together.