What's your diamond midfield

the wes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the look of that but as has already been said we aren't going to get the best out of Lamps there. Mikel shouldn't be an automatic starter, one for the future now that he's commited himself to the club but I would be nervous having him holding in the big games. He seemed off his game against UTD and in my opinion gave a half-arsed performance.

none, the diamond does not get the best out of lampard our most crucial player...what is the point of having a 20+ goal a season midfielder and putting in a formation which clearly will not get the best out of him.. he looks lost at the top of the diamond

none, the diamond does not get the best out of lampard our most crucial player...what is the point of having a 20+ goal a season midfielder and putting in a formation which clearly will not get the best out of him.. he looks lost at the top of the diamond

Would I be right in saying its a formation that was used by England many a time with Lampard somewhere in the diamond ?

If so, that alone adds to the proof that its not ideal for him. I know one man doesnt make a team, but when its someone with the ability of Lampard you play to your teams strengths. Once we have Zhirkov and JC available then I think this formation would be more suitable, but right now I dont like it.

Either way, CA isnt going to change his formation, so we may get used to it.

Give it time... Lampard isn't as involved in the buildups as he used to be the last few seasons when basically every Chelsea move involved him in some form or the other.. That doesn't mean this formation doesn't get the best out of him..

Offensivley he loses nothing at the tip of the diamond formation..

Defensively he'll probably have less of a cleaning up to do..

So he can concentrate a lot more on scoring and getting those assists..

in what way m8 both can score 20 goals a season................. :chai:

The way I look at it, Kaka is used to playing this formation with Milan, and at Brazil he plays in a 4-3-3 formation as part of the 3 up front.

Thats just not Lampards game at all. He's scored 20 goals a season from Midfield in a 4-3-3, sitting deep, raoming around and making late runs. Thats his game. Look at the midfielders we already have. Each of them re fantastic footballers, but not one of the is exactly the same. Deco would be more suited to the point of the diamond imo. He has the creativity to play the intricate passes and it'll leave Lamps to do what he does best.

Edited by Aesthetic Relic

I woulD put Joe Cole on the point and Lampard on the side, just for a bit to see what it's like.

It helps Lampard have more room and can cut in and put Joey's creativity in a vital position where he can help the forwards and have a go himself.