Chelsea vs Fulham

BlueLion.

Chelsea vs Fulham

Saturday 2 May 2009, Premier League, Stamford Bridge, 3PM KO

41192_news.jpg

Chelsea host Fulham at Stamford Bridge in their third London derby in the space of two weeks.

Victories against Arsenal and Fulham, coupled with credible goalless draws with Everton and Barcelona have not only seen Chelsea re-establish themselves in their typical imperious form under Guus Hiddink, but also put their defensive woes behind them with three successive clean sheets.

It was poor marking which cost Chelsea two points at Fulham under Luiz Felipe Scolari, but the 0-0 at the Nou Camp will give the Blues the confidence they need at the back to get the job done.

Match chat here.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, i'm not hugely bothered by this and really would just give 5/6 of the fringe players a game.

Mancienne and Belletti are certs. Would like to see Di Santo and Stoch too.

If we are serious about getting into the Champions League final then i think we have to rest the majority of our key players for this game. Would love to see Stoch get a start to show what he can do for 90 mins, and i hope it happens.

The Barca home game is the only thing of any importance right now and we have to make sure that our players are rested (especially considering Barca have a huge game against Madrid), and we reduce the risk of any injuries.

I'd play Cech, Mancienne, Alex, Ivanovic, Cole, Essien, Mikel, Belletti, Stoch, Anelka and Di Santo for a combination of youth and experience, with the big boys, ie. Ballack and Lampard, on the bench.

A lot depends on the team Hiddink intends to play in the second leg against Barcelona.

I would like to see:

..................................Cech............................

Ivanovic............Alex............Mancienne.....Cole

..................................Mikel............................

......................Essien............Belletti/Mellis.......

Stoch.......................Di Santo............Quaresma

Certainly we should start with Mancienne, Stoch and Di Santo

Edited by EskWeston

I'd play Cech, Mancienne, Alex, Ivanovic, Cole, Essien, Mikel, Belletti, Stoch, Anelka and Di Santo for a combination of youth and experience, with the big boys, ie. Ballack and Lampard, on the bench.
what about Ricardo Quaresma

Arsenal are 6 points behind us with 4 games to play. Yes we could catch Liverpoo who are only 3 points ahead, but at this point in the season what is more important? finishing second or making the final of the Champions League?

Also it is a fine oppertunity for players who are looking to break through next season to show what they can do in 90 mins.

A lot depends on the team Hiddink intends to play in the second leg against Barcelona.

I would like to see:

..................................Cech............................

Mancienne.....Ivanovic............Terry............Cole

..................................Mikel............................

......................Lampard(70min)............Belletti/Mellis.......

Kalou.......................Anelka............Quaresma

Certainly we should start with Mancienne, Stoch and Di Santo

though i'd want the team you put out, but i think this will probably be the more likely starting line up..

Arsenal are 6 points behind us with 4 games to play. Yes we could catch Liverpoo who are only 3 points ahead, but at this point in the season what is more important? finishing second or making the final of the Champions League?

Also it is a fine oppertunity for players who are looking to break through next season to show what they can do in 90 mins.

6 points isn't really comforting.. as the following weekend after the barca clash we play arsenal away with a days less rest..

IF we happen to lose that then it would put huge pressure for the last game of the season, which god willing will be just before the two finals...

Edited by bombayblue™

IF we happen to lose that then it would put huge pressure for the last game of the season, which god willing will be just before the two finals...

Even playing a depleted side on Saturday and having the play Arsenal, i would not expect us at all to lose 2 games out of 4.

It is tough to know just how many players are going to get rested for next week, but i am sure that plenty will be.

......................Cech...........................

..Ivanovic....Terry...Alex......Mancienne

...............Mikel..........Essien...............

...Quaresma.....Lampard........Malouda.

.........................Anelka......................

Even playing a depleted side on Saturday and having the play Arsenal, i would not expect us at all to lose 2 games out of 4.

It is tough to know just how many players are going to get rested for next week, but i am sure that plenty will be.

I wish i could share the same confidence, but I understand where you're coming from i'd rather isk finishing fourth than rick getting knocked out in the Champions league..

I wish i could share the same confidence, but I understand where you're coming from i'd rather isk finishing fourth than rick getting knocked out in the Champions league..

It's certainly a fine line, but the CL has to be the most important thing to us right now. We have to make the final.

Guus may suprise us and play a full strength team. But i doubt it. And also i would be a little dissapointed for us not to take the oppertunity to play Mancienne, Stoch and Di Santo - it would hardly be a massive risk.

Wow i misspelled risk twice.. :P

It's certainly a fine line, but the CL has to be the most important thing to us right now. We have to make the final.

Guus may suprise us and play a full strength team. But i doubt it. And also i would be a little dissapointed for us not to take the oppertunity to play Mancienne, Stoch and Di Santo - it would hardly be a massive risk.

I think Quaresma and Mancienne are a given.. may be Stoch and Di Santo as subs..

Wow i misspelled risk twice.. :P

I think Quaresma and Mancienne are a given.. may be Stoch and Di Santo as subs..

To be honest, if we can't start Di Santo in this match then we may as well let him leave now....