CDM

9 minutes ago, Jonny said:

We have arguably the best CDM in Europe in Kante. Why are we playing him in so advanced role?

He's never been a proper CDM in the sense of the deepest, holding midfielder. People mix up his ball winning abilities with an assumption he's a CDM when really he's excelled more as a box to box midfielder. His main two midfield partners at the club have been Matic and Jorginho, both very different but both play that CDM role and allow Kante to roam and hunt the ball which is where he's been best over the years for us.

Granted under Lampard, he's been played too advanced in some games, but yesterday I thought he played a more 'normal' role for him.

46 minutes ago, Jonny said:

We have arguably the best CDM in Europe in Kante. Why are we playing him in so advanced role?

Because of his end product 😂

Ironically Lampard used him as solo DM in his first stint here. 

Btw you don't have to open new thread about everything. This should be in Kante thread. 

3 hours ago, Superblue said:

He's never been a proper CDM in the sense of the deepest, holding midfielder. People mix up his ball winning abilities with an assumption he's a CDM when really he's excelled more as a box to box midfielder. His main two midfield partners at the club have been Matic and Jorginho, both very different but both play that CDM role and allow Kante to roam and hunt the ball which is where he's been best over the years for us.

Granted under Lampard, he's been played too advanced in some games, but yesterday I thought he played a more 'normal' role for him.

I wonder if he can play DM under a proper manager. No doubt he is best utilized a more B2B, but i wonder if he can prolong his career by being used as a DM. 

14 hours ago, Clockwork said:

I wonder if he can play DM under a proper manager. No doubt he is best utilized a more B2B, but i wonder if he can prolong his career by being used as a DM. 

I'm not sure to be honest whether he's positionally disciplined enough to really flourish in that role like a Makelele for example. He could perhaps form a successful partnership in time with Enzo in a double pivot where they take turns with who to sit and who to push but ultimately his best role is being given licence to go and win the ball just about anywhere he can on the pitch. He may have to refine his game to extend his time at the top as he regresses physically and maybe it will work but I have my doubts.