Opinion: Chelsea need to tie down Antonio Rudiger’s contract at all costs

James

Antonio Rudiger has the potential to hit the same legendary heights at Chelsea now as some of those players before him such as your John Terry’s and Frank Lampard’s. This might be a bold shout, especially when you consider the drama that Rudiger has allegedly been involved in over recent months at the club. But […]

View the full article

IMHO, it is crazy to lose him on a free over only £3m per season (the difference between our offer and what he wants)

we are likely +£70m in the black come January in terms of buys minus sales and loan fees, +£53m atm (Anjorin will likely have his £17m buy option exercised by Lokomotiv in January)

and we still have 5 players to sell or loan (Barkley, Musonda, Lewis Baker, Malang Sarr, and RLC (might not sell him, who knows)

Buying the dwarf and losing Rudiger on a free in summer 2022 (and doing nothing else at CB) weakens the side IMHO

now IF we are talking about losing Rudiger and buying one of these (and not Kounde)

Alessandro Bastoni (left footer)
Marquinhos (can play DMF too, which is a massive boost)
Matthijs de Ligt (not my play, would take any of the other 3 over him as he will cost around £100m)
Maxence Lacroix    (the ONLY one of the 4 that will not be at least £75m, plus not almost impossible to pull)

then yes (and I suppose it could be possible to buy both Koude and Lacroix for the combined cost of ONE of those top 3

We should definitely not lose him for 3m wage difference but I could imagine there is more in there. I can see Rüdiger going for a new challenge.

Lacroix is a very similar player physically and style-wise but also a lot more accomplished than Rüdiger was at that age. IMO he is the most promising non-German young centre back i have seen in Bundesliga for quite some time maybe since Kompany. If we really are primed to lose rüdiger in summer, we should push for Lacroix in winter hard to give him time to acclimatize.

January could turn the season upside down IMO.

Kane to man city possible

IF rudi doesnt want to take a wage bump, Whatever it might be then I say we should really push to bring in a top quality CB and then sell him.

Rudi has bedded in nicely but I dont think its worth wrecking the wage bill.

Roman use to spend big in january so I wouldnt be suprised to see some movement etc.