Franco Di Santo- Target Man

Seeing Anelka today, it looks like he will not reach his peak at Chelsea. He is not the Target Man, he flourished in a 4-4-2 formation with a second striker. You cold see him struggle against Man Utd and Liverpool to win balls, or even hold balls. He just couldnt do it all alone.

In Contrast, Franco Di Santo, was far far better than him. He won the balls, created couple of chances,. Whats more noticable is the fact that he did it against a quality defense. I feel Di Santo needs to start instead of Anelka. Anelka is good for a 4-4-2 formation but not a 4-5-1

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The best thing to do would be to stick him in during a cup game against a lower league side. The same with Sinclair, Stoch and Mancienne who have been hovering around the first team this season. If we're to bring on these youngsters like LFS has stated then we should do it in games like that.

Drogba is only a matter of days before he's back. He was supposed to be in contention for todays game, so I dont think its time to hit the panic button just yet.

A bit too much responsibility on a 17 year old, no?

Out of the 15(PL) goals we've scored so far this season only 3 have been scored by a striker ( Anelka )

When you look at it like that, Di Santo would be more than able to match Anelkas return.

Barca are playing Bojan(19) and had him in the squad last season. He's making an impact so far this season and even last season he was getting rave reviews for his performances.

Rooney, Messi, Pato, Nasri, Rakitic, Walcott and Fabregas. First names that come to mind who have been given a chance whilst around a similar age and blossomed at the top.

Why not Di Santo?

When Di Santo came on held the ball up really well for someone so young, he set Ashley Cole up for that chance he hit wide.

Anelka cant seem to hold the ball up, he'll just turn and go for a shot which usally ends up in the shed upper.

We really do need another player up there in January.

When Di Santo came on held the ball up really well for someone so young, he set Ashley Cole up for that chance he hit wide.

Anelka cant seem to hold the ball up, he'll just turn and go for a shot which usally ends up in the shed upper.

We really do need another player up there in January.

Totally agree.

I couldnt give a toss about a player being cup tied in Europe. We need something done asap. If Drogba comes back and gets another injury. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll have no faith in him (Anelka) leading the line for the rest of the season.

Totally agree.

I couldnt give a toss about a player being cup tied in Europe. We need something done asap. If Drogba comes back and gets another injury. I'm sure I'm not the only one who'll have no faith in him (Anelka) leading the line for the rest of the season.

Maybe, but Drogba returned after his knee injury only to be laid off with an ankle injury, Essiens was an unfortunate one, as was Riccys. Its the niggly injuries which would need to be fully cleared up before being brought back. In the Boro game we showed the strength in depth we have, so theres no real rush to bring players back before they're ready.

Changed your mind quite fast, TB? :P

Karim Benzema plays as the lone striker for Lyon and has done since the tail end of the 05/06 season when he was just 18 years old, and young players such as Benzema, Kun Aguero, Fabregas, Ronaldo and Hatem Ben Arfa have established themselves during their teenage years. I don't think it is too much pressure on the boy, but when you compare di Santo to the likes of Fabregas and Ronaldo, you could perhaps argue he does not share the same special talent as those players did at his age. Don't get me wrong, I think di Santo has the potential to be a star, much like Hernan Crespo, I just don't think he has had the same development in the past that Ronaldo had at Lisbon, Benzema and Ben Arfa had at Lyon, and because of that his growth is perhaps behind them. The only way he can obtain that growth is training and playing regularly - its beneficial for him to be playing with Terrys and Lampards and Ballacks, but IMO, at such a tender age, he needs to be nurturing his talent at a 'smaller' EPL club.

Changed your mind quite fast, TB? :P

Touche :lol:

On a whole, the squad depth and quality is better then any other EPL team. Anelka has hardly set Chelsea on fire. I have always had a doubt about him. Last season and the season before we carried Shevchenko while he struggle to come to terms with life in England, and also Ballack when he first arrived. The quality of our squad allowed us to have passengers. Atm.....Anelka is a passenger.

Did I get myself out of that ok? :P

Why not start them both?

Take out Malouda or Kalou and push Deco slightly wider or forward.

If we were to do that, I'd still keep Deco were he is with Lampard, Joe Cole and Mikel atm. Ash and Bosingwa would provide the width and that way we wouldnt really lose any shape.

Wont happen though, as LFS has a system he wants us to play. One up top.

I'd give Di Santo a first team place instead of Anelka even tho he has yet to score a goal for us. From what I have seen, he is similar player to Drogba: fast, strong, tall. He can win headers and create chances to other players and I believe he could score some goals aswell. With gettin on off the bench for 30 mins, it's hard to score a goal.

Edited by riks12

Touche :lol:

On a whole, the squad depth and quality is better then any other EPL team. Anelka has hardly set Chelsea on fire. I have always had a doubt about him. Last season and the season before we carried Shevchenko while he struggle to come to terms with life in England, and also Ballack when he first arrived. The quality of our squad allowed us to have passengers. Atm.....Anelka is a passenger.

Did I get myself out of that ok? :P

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying... :unsure: