Axe Becks

Joe Cool

The Sun

<h2 class="padding-bottom-7" style="font-size: 1.05em; line-height: 1.05em;"> HARRY REDKNAPP last night called on England to ditch David Beckham — and put Wayne Rooney in his place. </h2> Just like the rest of the nation, the Pompey boss was dismayed by Wednesday’s pitiful 2-2 draw against the Czech Republic.

Three Lions boss Fabio Capello tried playing Rooney as a frontman behind Jermain Defoe — but the United star flopped, constantly running out of position.

Redknapp now believes Capello needs to push Roo into a wide right role — replacing Becks — in a bid to get the best out of him.

Redknapp said: “Wayne would do damage on the right. Becks is a good character to have around and is still a good player.

"But this is a position where Rooney could really do us proud in the World Cup qualifers.”

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its simple as to what the England team should be, IMO

James - despite his exploits, is the best English goalkeeper we have.

Richards - plays brilliantly for England

Terry - no brainer

Ferdinand - no brainer

Ashley Cole - no brainer

Ashley Young - faster, and a better crosser than Beckham

Gerrard - no brainer

Hargreaves - a better holding midfielder than Barry

Joe Cole - no brainer

Rooney - no brainer

Crouch/Defoe/Owen - Crouch's height, Defoe's pace and Owen's experience can be called upon.

There you go Fabio, not fucking hard, is it?

Its simple as to what the England team should be, IMO

James - despite his exploits, is the best English goalkeeper we have.

Richards - plays brilliantly for England

Terry - no brainer

Ferdinand - no brainer

Ashley Cole - no brainer

Ashley Young - faster, and a better crosser than Beckham

Gerrard - no brainer

Hargreaves - a better holding midfielder than Barry

Joe Cole - no brainer

Rooney - no brainer

Crouch/Defoe/Owen - Crouch's height, Defoe's pace and Owen's experience can be called upon.

There you go Fabio, not fucking hard, is it?

Gerrard over Lampard?

Gerrard over Lampard? Hell yes.

Lampard rarely performs for England, and why should we care? If he isn't playing in pointless international friendlies that exist purely for revenue from merchandising and television fees, he is training with Chelsea and less likely to be injured, thus improving his fitness.

sometimes my feeling is that i could care less about England football - because it grates me is that we get criticised for our "antics" (like Ashley's ref stuff) but when it comes to England who makes up most of the team ?

i mean the nice thing is that i don't have a club vs country debate to think about

my feeling is that if my boys don't play for england then there's not chance of them getting hurt in pointless friendlies

Edited by terry26

England Squad for mme should be: Get Aluminium a Brit Citizenship. He is eligible for it.

-------------------------------Aluminium----------------------------------

----Micah richards--------------Terry---Rio--------------------Ashley-------

-------------------------------Hargreaves-----------------------------------

Joe Cole-------Gerrad--------------------------Lampard---------------Bentley---

------------------------------Rooney--------------------------------------

4-5-1. Formation. with Lampard playing an out an out attacking midfielder. Gerrard likes to run like a headless chick neways, hence he should be given the freedom to move around behind lampard. And have Bentley and Joe Cole target rooney and lampard with balls.

4-4-2 doesnt seem to work for England.

England stregth is in its midfeild players and not strikers. Hence bolster your midfield and frgt the extra striker.

Edited by warnie_666

Honestly, in my opinion, I think Capello is still playing Beckham just because he's Beckham. He lost his 'Beckham-ness' a while back. Sorry, just had to say that.

If you see the last few games, most of the goals are scored from Beckham's assists. He may be old but hes right foot is still Magic.