Penalty Shootouts

In the light of Chelseas unfortunate recent record it's worth looking at a few stats.

No wake up, it's not that boring.

The London School of Economics has a bloke called Ignatius Huerta. He has co written a study with some bloke from Barcelona University. They looked at 260 recent shootouts with 2712 kicks.

On the face of it, it seems like a lottery, ....but it aint.

The team that kicked first won 61% of shootouts. The team kicking first has a 21% greater probability of winning the tournament. Given that, it was weird watching Ferdinand win the toss, and then contemplate whether to go first or second for about a minute !

Also they discovered the first and last penalties were more important to be scored than the second or third kicks. It therefore makes sense to have your best kickers take the first and fifth. They also discovered that players have just as much chance of scoring with their best foot than their other one.

London School of Economics

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also they discovered the first and last penalties were more important to be scored than the second or third kicks. It therefore makes sense to have your best kickers take the first and fifth.

London School of Economics

Thats a NO Brainer. Thats Basics in Football.

Hence we had Bally take our first kick and had Drogba to take our last.

Correct. In shoot-outs, I would say Lampard and Ballack to have the first and fifth penalties, they are the most reliable. Ashley Cole and Kalou take good penalties as well, and so does Essien. Deco isn't half bad either, but I suppose in a pressure situation it is a lot more difficult.

I think the last competitive one we won was...

League Cup Rd 3 97/98

Chelsea 1-1 Blackburn

(Chelsea win 4-1 on pens)

Remember we beat Ipswich on penalties, same compo, 1/4 final if memory serves me correctly from that season as well.