Terry: United have hit their peak

Setanta

Terry: United have hit their peak

Contrary to what Sir Alex Ferguson may think, John Terry believes it is Manchester United that have reached their peak and Chelsea who have the potential for improvement in the coming campaign.

Ferguson recently cast doubt over Chelsea’s capacity to develop as a side given that they have a number of ‘very experienced’ performers already in their ranks – a comment that the Scot was subsequently forced to defend after accusations he had questioned his rivals’ ability to compete for the title.

But the real thrust of Ferguson’s argument – that United’s younger side are the team for the future – has also been denied by Terry who has claimed that the reigning European and Premier League champions have reached the pinnacle of their ability.

Instead, the Chelsea captain believes it is Luis Felipe Scolari’s side who will reach ‘another level’ having lost out to their rivals on the final day of the league season and in the final of the Champions League.

“They have had two good years and you have to stand back and take your hat off to them, but we know we were good last year and we have another level to go to,” Terry told Chelsea TV.

“Last year I think we saw the very best of Man United, but we have got an awful lot to come from last year.

“We have got improvements to make but I think Man United are at their peak.”

Despite suggestions that owner Roman Abramovich covets the Champions League more than any other trophy, Terry insists Premier League success is the priority for the coming season.

“The Premier League is the one we are after, we want to get that back,” Terry continued.

“And over the course of the season, to show that consistency and get that back off Man United would be fantastic.”

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would certainly be hard for United to improve on last season. So in that respect JT is right. However if they add as it looks like they will a striker like Berbatov then they become a stronger team than last season, depending on if they lose Ronaldo or not. The main thing as far as we are concerned is that we improve from last year, we did well last year but teams are getting stronger around us and we need to do the same.

I do believe that this season will be a very good one for us.

Rumour is they will sign Berbatov this week.

Two differing press reports this morning concerning the Ladyboy. One saying he will stay at Yernited for one more year, the other saying hes never going back and wants nothing to do with Ferguson ever again

United will be without Ronaldo for a while, and there is no way on earth he can have another season as productive as the last one. Without his goals, I doubt they will be the threat they were in 07/08. Granted they have many top quality players in their squad, but they have no replacement to Ronaldo.

Fergie said...Last year's MAN YOO squad was the best Ever. And We with the injuries to more than half of our players and AFNC lost the league by a whisker on the last day. Cant imagine how ruthless we could be if most of our squad remians fit unlike last season..

I personally want the lady boi in Man you. Cus I dun want us to win the title by beating a mediocre Man YOO team.

Agree with that. When we win it , they'll be banging on about how it was only because they didnt have the effeminate trickster....

I wish JT just hadn't made these comments - after all, wasnt this the same man who said during the early part of last season,when United were 5 points behind, that it was too big a gap for them to close down and we'd win the league?

He's already wide open for a barracking this season as it is - might be safer to let our football do our talking.

I wish JT just hadn't made these comments - after all, wasnt this the same man who said during the early part of last season,when United were 5 points behind, that it was too big a gap for them to close down and we'd win the league?

He's already wide open for a barracking this season as it is - might be safer to let our football do our talking.

See your point and in a lot ways agree, but would rather JT gave as good he gets so to speak.

JT was right last season, until Uncle Fester screwed things up. Ths year with a fully fit squad to choose from, and with Scolari's tactical nous, we'll blow those red shites away, and JT has done a grand job of making ol' Red Nose well aware of that.