Bruce Buck: Chelsea close to new manager

Chelsea are close to securing a successor to manager Avram Grant.

Bruce Buck, the club's chairman, flew out of Heathrow's Terminal 2 early on Friday morning and admitted that Chelsea were closing in a new manager.

Buck refused to reveal his destination - there was a flight due to leave for Milan - but, when asked if Chelsea were closer to making an appointment, the American replied: "Yes I think we are," fuelling speculation that Roberto Mancini could be the next Chelsea manager.

Mancini, who left Inter Milan and was replaced by ex-Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho earlier in the week, was reported to have been spotted flying to London on Thursday, and remains the favourite to succeed Grant, sacked following Chelsea's failure to win any trophies last season.

It is understood Chelsea plan talks with both Mancini and former Barcelona coach Frank Rijkaard early next week and that an appointment could follow before next weekend.

Carlo Ancelotti's decision to remain with AC Milan has forced Chelsea into changing direction and while Mancini has not been successful in Europe, with Inter, he won two Coppa Italia, two Supercoppa Italiana and three Serie A titles, becoming the most successful Inter coach of the last 30 years.

Rijkaard is also viewed as a potential manager, and following Ancelotti's snub, Chelsea will now consider their options over the weekend before making an appointment within the next week.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

please sort it out soon cause we are away behind with every team with witch players who we are going to sign ! (even thou the man up stairs has the most say who we get and not get )

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah..........

Just wish this would be over. Its really melting my brain. I dont care who it is if I'm really honest. I'm not particualrly keen on Mancini or Rijkaard. Once its confirmed who it is the media can revert to linking us with every Tom, Dick and Harry who has ever kicked a football :rolleyes:

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah..........

Just wish this would be over. Its really melting my brain. I dont care who it is if I'm really honest. I'm not particualrly keen on Mancini or Rijkaard. Once its confirmed who it is the media can revert to linking us with every Tom, Dick and Harry who has ever kicked a football :rolleyes:

I dont particulary fancy Mancini or Rijkaard either, But If I was forced to choose it would have to be the Dutch Master Gobber.

Mind you, we'll probably now get a wire through that Right Said Fred (thats Kenyon to the unaware's here) was seen in the Dorchester having a "Deep" conversation with fucking Curbishley or the like.

Edited by changingman2000

The more I look at this, the more it becomes apparent that the next manager of Chelsea will be Scolari.

The waiting, the silence, the sanctioning of Bosingwa -it all points to the moustachioed one

Yup, it certainly does look like that now i think.

And by the way, Bosingwa looked great the other day :)

The more I look at this, the more it becomes apparent that the next manager of Chelsea will be Scolari.

The waiting, the silence, the sanctioning of Bosingwa -it all points to the moustachioed one

I'd be happy with Scolari to be honest. Mind you, after the charade of the last few days I'd settle for Martin Allen :smiliecap1:

If Boswinga is all part of the Masterplan then how come they apparently approached Ancelloti? Hard to say really, typical Chels

I'm not so certain it will be Scolari.......

Heres a scenario.....We wait on Scolari to make a decision after the Euros, meanwhile, Mancini and Rijkaard take jobs on not wanting to be left out in the cold. The Euros finish and Scolari rejects the offer to manage Chelsea and remains with Portugal.

Where exactly would we go from there?

I'd be happy with Scolari to be honest. Mind you, after the charade of the last few days I'd settle for Martin Allen :smiliecap1:

If Boswinga is all part of the Masterplan then how come they apparently approached Ancelloti? Hard to say really, typical Chels

There was no evidence they were after Ancellotti apart from the old newspaper talk -OK zippy was spotted in Milan, but that could have been Drogs and transfer deals ?

I think a Scolari deal has been done but everyone is keeping schtum until the Euros are over or they get knocked out

There was no evidence they were after Ancellotti apart from the old newspaper talk -OK zippy was spotted in Milan, but that could have been Drogs and transfer deals ?

I think a Scolari deal has been done but everyone is keeping schtum until the Euros are over or they get knocked out

Well that almost certainly seems to be the case! Although there were stories that we are going to interview Rijkaard and Mancini this week. Although it is so hard to know what to believe in the papers.

Scolari seems the most likely. And it looks like we still have a couple more weeks wait yet, which is very frustrating but if we get the right man then that is good.

Aye true mate. If Its Big Phil then I'd be more than happy with that. Mind you, after Grant, I'd be happy with Steve McLaren :wank2:

Lingering doubt for me how close he got to the England job, then turned it down at the last moment, citing press intrusion as the reason. I only hope he is aware that the press are going to over him like a rash if he takes the Chelsea job.

Aye true mate. If Its Big Phil then I'd be more than happy with that. Mind you, after Grant, I'd be happy with Steve McLaren :wank2:

Lingering doubt for me how close he got to the England job, then turned it down at the last moment, citing press intrusion as the reason. I only hope he is aware that the press are going to over him like a rash if he takes the Chelsea job.

He looks as though he can handle it - apparently he gives really long answers to press questions -be interesting seeing as his English is pony :) As someone said, if it is him his club experience is minimal -Palmeiros? his last ?

Also anyone with a tache is usually barking. -Hitler, Souness, Stalin, that bloke in Austria keeping his daughter in a cellar...