Raheem Sterling

RoyalBlues

This is probably the first time I've said anything about his performances since he joined City. I made the comment as it has seemingly become a common trend for threads to light up after decent/good performers, but the same doesn't happen when the particular player has bad performances. I have never dismissed his quality, but I just don't rate him as highly as some do around here. He lacks so much to be valued at the fee City were crazy enough to pay, but him being English contributed to it.

It's completely pointless comparing him to Boga and Musonda. Sterling made his debut playing in a side that were struggling to get into Europe, while the players you mentioned have yet to make a first team appearance for us AFAIK. It's a completely different level. Also, I know he isn't the finish article, but he isn't close to being WC IMO. Hype follows all Englishmen.

Him also being 20 years of age contributed towards it because they know he can contribute something now and is also a huge long term investment. If you don't rate him as much as others do that is fine but come on, he is 20 and you have to take into consideration that he will improve on his current level of ability. Already at his age he is a regular with England and the best team in England and is playing alongside world class players. That will help him too. He obviously is not world class yet as he is very inconsistent but how many young players are there who actually are consistent?

He might lack some things but he also possesses a lot of things. Excellent dribbler, excellent balance, despite his finishing needing to improve he scores a fair amount of goals every season tbh. And while you are stating he was playing for a team that struggled to get into Europe, let's not forget that at the age of 19 he was part of the team that finished above us and so nearly won the league. Yes, Suarez was the main cause but he was excellent that season.

There are probably players you rate around the age of 25 or 26 who probably were as inconsistent as Sterling was if not more at the same age. And yeah, the thread might get overhyped when he scores. I don't remember anyone actually coming here and posting anything when he scored against Watford or Sunderland because they were nothing great about it. However scoring a hattrick in one half is an excellent achievement and people naturally praised him for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so what? do it consistently anyone can have a one off good game

Well tonight he has shown that he can do it on big occassions and perform in the UCL. This is an important game and he has been excellent. Not good. Excellent.

Well tonight he has shown that he can do it on big occassions and perform in the UCL. This is an important game and he has been excellent. Not good. Excellent.

Don't know why you bother lol, as long as Sterling is English he'll be bother under and overrated.. Shame there's no middle ground to appreciate the talent he already has. Meh.

David Bentley once showed he could do it on a big occasion when he scored at hat-trick against Man United, as i said do it consistently if you are the real deal.

David Bentley once showed he could do it on a big occasion when he scored at hat-trick against Man United, as i said do it consistently if you are the real deal.

Has Hazard always done it on the big occasion? Sterling is 20. Give him a rest.

Has Hazard always done it on the big occasion? Sterling is 20. Give him a rest.

Hazard has done it countless times on the big occasion, and what do you mean give it a rest you quoted me, your acting like i dont think Sterling has a lot potential.

Hazard has done it countless times on the big occasion, and what do you mean give it a rest you quoted me, your acting like i dont think Sterling has a lot potential.

Because you said he needs to do it more. There are loads of "big occasions" where Sterling abeen excellent. I just pointed out that he was excellent tonight contrary to his other UCL performances where he has been rather average. Too see a young English player perform that good is always good to see.

Because you said he needs to do it more. There are loads of "big occasions" where Sterling abeen excellent. I just pointed out that he was excellent tonight contrary to his other UCL performances where he has been rather average. Too see a young English player perform that good is always good to see.

no he needs to do it more in the CL.

And so does Hazard. But like I was saying Sterling has been excellent tonight. They are top right now anyway and he has contributed.

what? Hazard has performed against Schalke, Maribor, Steaua and Galatasaray and was named in the Champions League team of the season by whoscored.com last season, while Sterling was going missing against Ludogorets last season. A bit ridiculous to compare him to Hazard! and this isnt the first time you have compared one of our players to a clearly inferior player! i find it very strange, why you would even insult Hazard by bringing his name into this.

what? Hazard has performed against Schalke, Maribor, Steaua and Galatasaray and was named in the Champions League team of the season by whoscored.com last season, while Sterling was going missing against Ludogorets last season. A bit ridiculous to compare him to Hazard! and this isnt the first time you have compared one of our players to a clearly inferior player! i find it very strange, why you would even insult Hazard by bringing his name into this.

I am talking about in the bigger games. Not agaianst average teams. Maribor are shit. Hazard was not outstanding against Gala. Sterling was also in an awful team compared to the likes Hazard was playing with. Sturridge was injured throughout the whole tournament. And I know Hazard is a much better player than Sterling. That is why I expect to see more of him in the UCL. Hazard is world class. Sterling is a player with world class potential. Fair enough in the latter stages, he ahs not been helped by Mourinho's boring tactics but I still don't think he has set the scene alight in the UCL. He only scored 1 goal in open play in the comp last season.

I am talking about in the bigger games. Not agaianst average teams. Maribor are shit. Hazard was not outstanding against Gala. Sterling was also in an awful team compared to the likes Hazard was playing with. Sturridge was injured throughout the whole tournament. And I know Hazard is a much better player than Sterling. That is why I expect to see more of him in the UCL. Hazard is world class. Sterling is a player with world class potential. Fair enough in the latter stages, he ahs not been helped by Mourinho's boring tactics but I still don't think he has set the scene alight in the UCL. He only scored 1 goal in open play in the comp last season.

if Maribor are shit then what are Ludogorets? :lol:

if Maribor are shit then what are Ludogorets? :lol:

Shit but so were Liverpool. That was Sterling's first season in the UCL with a average Liverpool team missing key players. Just look at the deadweight in Liverpool's team. Johnson, Manquilo, Toure, Lambert (LOL).

Shit but so were Liverpool. That was Sterling's first season in the UCL with a average Liverpool team missing key players. Just look at the deadweight in Liverpool's team. Johnson, Manquilo, Toure, Lambert (LOL).

excuses excuses? call Liverpool what you want, they are easily better then Ludogorets! and Hazard's first season in the CL was when he was 20 for an even worse team then Liverpool! and Hazard was much more impressive then Sterling in his first season of Champions League football, so please stop this.

In my point of view Hazard was excellent in his 2 games against PSG.

In the first leg they fouled him 9th times, got us 9th free-kicks.

Correct me if i'm wrong but from my understanding, that is the current record!

Blanc identified Hazard as the main threat and ordered his guys to take him out, remember the "two feet" challenge from Verratti?

Every time Hazard got the ball, they dragged him to the ground.

But he didn't care, he got up and tried again, he never stopped until the game was over.

Mourinho: "this kid is pure."

The second leg was the same, except he made the next step and took good care of the penalty.

I don't care about goals, during the two games Hazard looked constantly dangerous and he always demanded the ball.

That's what big players do, he stepped up big time and showed real maturity.

The experts (for example whoscored) awarded him a 7.2 and a 8.2.

For me he was our best outfield player, but we're talking about Hazard, so the limits aren't there yet.

He will get better and better, unbelievable talent.

excuses excuses? call Liverpool what you want, they are easily better then Ludogorets! and Hazard's first season in the CL was when he was 20 for an even worse team then Liverpool! and Hazard was much more impressive then Sterling in his first season of Champions League football, so please stop this.

What excuses? Hazard has not lit up the CL. Simple as that. He has had good performances but could still do a lot better for someone who is considered world class. And are you serious? Remind me of Hazard's first season in the UCL. No goals and yet we like Liverpool, finished 3rd and went to the Europa League. Do you know what you are talking about? Please stop this. Like I said, Sterling is not on Hazard's level and that is why I expect more from Hazard.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You