Season 2008/2009 hopes and thoughts

Now that the season is officially over barring the CL final for us of course. It is that time again where we discuss and look forward to what we can expect over the summer and the comming season.

We clearly have some transfer targets in mind and they are plainly already being tied down as we speak.

Personally i want to know immediately, preferably the day after the CL what the situation is with regards to the management. We need to be told immediately one way or the other, wither Grant is staying or he isn't. The club know and once the season is officially over for us we should be told and not left hanging...

Priority number 1 is definately knowing once and for all where we stand with the management. Once we know that we can start looking at what we can expect from next season...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

well firstly we need some quality cover at right back

then we need to buy some one who can take bloody corners - lamps should be just outside the box at corners ready to drill the ball in and keep up the pressure not bloody taking them!

we also need in my opinion some wingers - we have to be more attack minded and stop this sitting back on a one goal lead.

what i think will happen will be a big change in personel generally. have a feeling drogba will go possibley bridgy but alot depends whether or not we stick with grant

we have a really good chance to be champions next season and i think arsenals wage cap may cost them in the transfer market

I agree on the wingers, we definately need 1 and probably 2 with SWP a definate out and also Malouda providing we can find and sign 2 top class wingers. We also do need another top class striker no matter if Drogba stays or not. It also depends of what formation we are intending to play. If we are going 4-4-2 then we definately need another world class striker. But if we are going 4-3-3 i think we need a creative midfielder.

The imminent arrival of Bosingwa will mean the defence will stay untouched. Bosingwa and Ferreira our right backs (with Ivanovich for cover) Terry, Carvalho, Alex and Ivanovic our centre backs and A.Cole and Bridge left backs - Belletti and Ben Haim to leave...

Still the most important thing to know is the management scenario - which we won't know till after the CL Final, but we should be told asap

With Bosingwa arriving, our priority must be to bring in a better winger, only need one, get rid of SWP, Sinclair deserves a decent go of the first team and should be a back-up.

Definitely need a winger or 2. If we cant get someone the stature of Messi, i think we should opt for bentley as i believe with a top 4 team, hes got every chance of being world class. Another english player too. Maybe tho we wont be dealing with wingers as such next season. It's been hinted that Anelka was bought for the 08/09 season to play in a 4-4-2 so maybe wingers arent top of the shopping list. Still...then again, if we're playing 4 across the middle, we will need wide players unless we go with the diamond to keep Essien, Ballack and Lampard all happy? Tough decisions thats for sure. A strong, reliable right back is also imperative.

As for next season, i predict pretty much the same. We'll challenge for all 4 trophies, we'll probably fall short late on (Quarters/semis) in a couple and take the league down to the wire with Man utd again. I just hope that we stay pretty much injury free because with a fully fit squad for say....90% of the season, we'll be alot better and not make as many mistakes which have given so many teams a point this season, specially at home. Spose next season also depends on who is in charge. Summer is gonna be interesting to say the least.

Edited by OllieCFC

Bently is the sort of winger we should steer clear of! We need someone with pace and skill who can cause problems to the defences. We need to speed our play up for next season not keep it at the same pace. A lot does depend on how we intend to play next season, if it is 4-3-3 or 4-4-2! I agree with Elliott that Sinclair should be given more of a chance next season. If we do go 4-4-2 i would like to see him play as a striker as he was originally as i think he would flourish there playing off another striker.

My hope is to challenge for the title again.

I think that we should sign a few addition players and replace some. I think Sidwell, Ben-Haim, Belletti/Ferreira, Pizarro and Sheva will have to make room with possibly Malouda and/or SWP making room for some wingers. Papers report that we are after Ribery, he wouldn't be a bad choice.

We are covered in defense and midfield otherwise, I can see us having the same Mid-3 next season (Ballack, Lampsy and Essien). And only one change in defense (Bosingwa on the right). In the attack if Drogba leaves, then Anelka will most likely be playing his position.

It will be an interesting summer and even more interesting season ;)

OUT:

Belleti : 6 million,

Ferrira or Bridge:(IF Bridge leaves Ferriera stays as he plays LB for Portugal): 9 million

SWP: 14million

Malouda: 13million

Pizzaro:7million

Sheva: 14million

Drogba: 29million

BenHaim: 5 million.

Sidwell: 7 million.

Lampard: 7 million pounds(If he buys out his contract)

NET GAIN: 111million pounds

IN:

Boswinga: 16 million

Ivanovic: 9 million (HE and Boswinga can be the candidates for RB...He can also be our 4th CB)...

Anelka: 15 million

Franco Di Santo:3 million

Scott Sinclair: Its high time he is given a run in the first team. He is a direct Winger and we need him.

Quaresma or Iniesta: 16 million

Karim Benzema: 20million

Van Der Vaart: 17million.

NET LOSS: 96million pounds.

TOTAL PROFIT IN TRANSFER MARKET for 2008/09 season: 15 million pounds.

Finally our team for the 2008/09 season:

Strikers: Anelka, Benzema, Franco DiSanto, Kalou

Wingers: Jose Cole, Scott Sinclair, Iniesta/Quaresma, Kalou

Holding Midfield: Maka, Obi Mikel

Attacking Midfield: Ballack, Essien, VanderVaart

Centre Back: Terry, Riccy, Alex, Ivanovic

Right Back: Boswinga, Ivanovic

Left Back: Ashley, Bridge or Ferrira(whoever stays)

GK: Cech, Cudicini, Hilario.

I still wouldnt be convinced about out Strike force and 1 winger. Rest all looks great.

Edited by warnie_666

OUT:

Belleti : 6 million,

Ferrira or Bridge:(IF Bridge leaves Ferriera stays as he plays LB for Portugal): 9 million

SWP: 14million

Malouda: 13million

Pizzaro:7million

Sheva: 14million

Drogba: 29million

BenHaim: 5 million.

Sidwell: 7 million.

Lampard: 7 million pounds(If he buys out his contract)

NET GAIN: 111million pounds

IN:

Boswinga: 16 million

Ivanovic: 9 million (HE and Boswinga can be the candidates for RB...He can also be our 4th CB)...

Anelka: 15 million

Franco Di Santo:3 million

Scott Sinclair: Its high time he is given a run in the first team. He is a direct Winger and we need him.

Quaresma or Iniesta: 16 million

Karim Benzema: 20million

Van Der Vaart: 17million.

NET LOSS: 96million pounds.

TOTAL PROFIT IN TRANSFER MARKET for 2008/09 season: 15 million pounds.

No way will be get more than £20 million for Drogba. He's going to be 31 next season, and we'll be lucky to get in the region of £7/£8 million for Shevchenko. And Benzema's buy-out clause is in the region of £40 million after he signed his new contract extension. In addition, I think only the likes of Sidwell and Ben Haim will leave. Pizarro will hopefully stay and fight for his place, as maligned as he is, I very much like him. And in my opinion, with a Right-Back sorted, it seems to me all we now need is a winger, and possibly another striker. Personally, I would like to see Franch Ribery and Mirko Vucinic.

Bit generous with the prices there; we'll get £2/3M for Sidwell/Pizarro/Ben-Haim mate.

Like said before, we need 1/2 wingers and 1/2 strikers depending on who leaves.

As for expectations? High as possible, too fight on all four fronts once again - but most importantly get that title back off the Mancs.

Drogba will fetch more than 20...24 million for sure......

OK..I dont know the deal with Benzema. But at the moment he is the Europe's top HitMan.

Ben Haim , an Sidwell will be taken up by mid table teams for first team pleacce and they will definately fetch us 5-6 million each

Pizzaro...5 million..for sure.

It will be very interesting to see just how different the squad is going to look come next season. A lot will have to do with the way we are going to line up for sure. We technically have 3 new signings for next season already. Bosingwa has now signed and will hopefully sort out the right back spot. We have Ivanovic who has yet to make an appearance who will be 4th choice CB and right back cover and we have Franco Di Santo who should go into the first team next season too. Also it looks like there will be a chance for Sinclair and Mancienne to have a chance.....

I think most people would like to see a big striker come in, and preferably someone much younger than we have gone for before who can have their absolute best years with us.

I think the squad is important - but without a change at the helm any strenth in depth is diluted.

Take, O'Neil, Clough, Mourinho, Ferguson -all did wonders with average squads initially. They command respect from their achievements and know how to motivate players. They are/were also tactically competent.

It'll be a case of what could have been, and a 'nearly did it' season unles Grant is told to do one.