Nemanja Matic

.Cee

23 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Diagnosis precedes cure but in any case there are many posts of mine in which I mention options I would like. More selective twaddle.

You could just repeat them here as Socur or anyone does not have to read all your posts. It is not a diagnosis, you are just refusing ideas without offering an alternative solution. 

Edit:Just curious, who did you have in mind when you wrote that Kante is not the answer for us?

20 hours ago, 11Drogba said:

You could just repeat them here as Socur or anyone does not have to read all your posts. It is not a diagnosis, you are just refusing ideas without offering an alternative solution. 

Edit:Just curious, who did you have in mind when you wrote that Kante is not the answer for us?

I had done an earlier post, or perhaps posts, in which I had observed that N'Golo's passing was not outstanding and that, combined with the fear that we were stuck with Matic as one part of a then routine 3 man midfield, Kante was not at all what I felt we needed. As an expert in my posts you will know that I consistently argue that we need an excellent continuity player with energy in that role.

The opportunity to turn defence into forward momentum does not occur every time a CM gets the ball. The ability to take those opportunities when they crop up, or at least to do so an above average number of times, is therefore an entry level requirement for a CM with a competitive Champions League team. I stressed again and again that just by improving our fluidity in possession, such a player would also automatically improve us defensively.*

As I posted many times to say, Badelj was my favoured candidate back in the summer. The change of shape has changed my mind about whether Badelj remains suitable. I'd always pick him in a three, but would hesitate in a two.

Repeating the potential names is not necessary to the point I was making. Which is, that Nemanja is not, in my opinion, the solution under any circumstances. I repeatedly stated this view last season and was challenged by someone, perhaps you - I can't remember, to name just one player from anywhere in the world who was better than Nemanja. My response was that I could name at least a dozen** just in the Premier League. I believed it then, and I believe it now. For me, Nemaja's limitations are a real handbrake on this team.

*This is pretty much the same argument I used to explain why I was so pleased when Marcos began to be linked and why I felt that people were wrong to blame our defenders alone for our poor defence last season.

**I may have said more than a dozen, can't remember. If I did it would still have been true.

You talk like Matic was some pub player, he is not the most gifted player ever, but he is one of the top assisters in the PL this season, he was the best player in the Portuguese League in his stint there and was absolutely crucial in the 2014/2015 campaign. IMO he still is a very good player, not world class, but at least a Top 5 DM, i don't even know if he would accept to be a backup for Kanté next season, would be very happy if he does so.

3 hours ago, Socur Toxanarosa said:

You talk like Matic was some pub player, he is not the most gifted player ever, but he is one of the top assisters in the PL this season, he was the best player in the Portuguese League in his stint there and was absolutely crucial in the 2014/2015 campaign. IMO he still is a very good player, not world class, but at least a Top 5 DM, i don't even know if he would accept to be a backup for Kanté next season, would be very happy if he does so.

That's an honest difference of opinion, which is fair enough.

I've never said that Nemanja is a pub player, just one with some deficiencies in key attributes we need.

I've always said that when circumstances are in his favour Nemanja can pick a pass as well as most professionals. His issues are exposed when the set up is not in his favour; when the ball is on his right foot, when his body shape isn't right, when he needs to manipulate the ball to make an angle, when he needs poise to buy time while his teammate makes the run. Those are the times, which is to say almost all of the time, when elite players get to demonstrate their quality, but Nemanja is not elite.

I do not believe that Nemanja was crucial to the whole of the last title campaign. He was a key player for most of the first half, but was way off pace for most of the post-Christmas section. It's only opinion of course but, if you check the post game comments in the match day threads from that period, you will see some evidence which supports my point of view on this.

I agree that Nemanja is unlikely to accept the role of squad player.

Matic is one of the Pillars of this Team.

It was Jose's Eye for Players, who brought him in. And Conte, smart as he is, plays him regularly, because he is not blind, as sees the same Qualities in him, that Jose and almost everyone else can see.

He does have occasional Off-Matches, but so does everyone else. There are Times when I would literally kick Costas and Hazards Butt off the Field but that doesn't mean they are not important for the Team.

There is no perfect Player ... I mean People here mention Players like Vidal ... who is not even the Letter "F" of the Fooballer that Matic is ... Vidal is a Non-Skilled Aide while Matic posseses the Abilities for Genius Football Moves and reading Pitch Dynamics and Movement.

And btw ... @ I do not believe that Nemanja was crucial to the whole of the last title campaign

Right. But so was nobody else then.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, nono said:

He has to be replaced next season. He offers nothing going forward. We already have Kante who is already better than Matic defensively. Need a more balanced midfielder next season. 

Matic is about to extend his Contract until 2021 ...

6 hours ago, TheWiz said:

Matic is about to extend his Contract until 2021 ...

That'll be really unfortunate. I thought the consensus was that we need to improve the CM position. I hope he's being kept as a squad player like Moses. 

55 minutes ago, nono said:

That'll be really unfortunate. I thought the consensus was that we need to improve the CM position. I hope he's being kept as a squad player like Moses. 

Your comment is unfortunate, Matic is a very valuable asset in this squad and there's no consensus that a Matic/Fábregas rotation isn't good enough for the position.

Intermediaries at work on Chelsea La Liga transfer, even Jose Mourinho could get involved

Thursday’s edition of Mundo Deportivo claims Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic has been offered to Barcelona via intermediaries.

http://sportwitness.co.uk/intermediaries-work-chelsea-barcelona-transfer-even-mourinho-get-involved/

• 3 weeks later...

This joker has a case for being the biggest donkey in the team. And considering we have the likes of Cahill, Alonso, Costa etc that is an achievement.

I can't think of another top level club that would have him on their bench let alone in their starting 11.

How is he still our player, it's beyond me. Comes in , so he can control the midfield, fails to do so, until KdB and Sane went off and loses Stones FOUR fucking times. I want to burry this idiot in a hole. Even Willian isn't this useless. I would rather see Chalobah, Ake, RLC, Colkett, you name it, anybody from the youth can come in and do a better job. Was so happy when we opted to shift him to Juventus. Sadly, Conte blocked the move. Hopefully, now he knows, and we are rid of this joker. Can't stand the sight of him, I'd rather Obi Mikel, at least he was intelligent.