Best Athlete in the world

Korea

U might laugh but Rafael Nadal actually is one of the best athletes in the world. He is incredibly fast, has immense stamina, is agile, can jump and is strong and has great explosive power.

Also many NFL and Rugby players are outstanding athletes. but i do not know much about them. In America there is a whole other culture about athleticism. They also have better experts for sports nutrition and diverse medical substances...

David Haye is also an amazing athlete.

But we have to take more into account than speed and strength. I think coordination ability is also important. Because of that I'd also have Ashton Eaten, the decatlon champion in the list.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U might laugh but Rafael Nadal actually is one of the best athletes in the world. He is incredibly fast, has immense stamina, is agile, can jump and is strong and has great explosive power.

Also many NFL and Rugby players are outstanding athletes. but i do not know much about them. In America there is a whole other culture about athleticism. They also have better experts for sports nutrition and diverse medical substances...

David Haye is also an amazing athlete.

But we have to take more into account than speed and strength. I think coordination ability is also important. Because of that I'd also have Ashton Eaten, the decatlon champion in the list.

Fast as in what... Like Usain bolt fast, Theo walcott fast or just tennis fast....

Agility like Messi or Devin Hester or just tennis quick.....

Jumping with a 48' vertical like Jordan or 43' like Carter...

Probably not, he's athletic for his sport but if you compare him to other athletes, Nadal is no where near them....

It's kind of like Tiger Woods and Serena Williams, they have such a psychical edge over everyone in their respecitve sports, however, in other sports, they would be either average or underpar athletically.

Fast as in what... Like Usain bolt fast, Theo walcott fast or just tennis fast....

Agility like Messi or Devin Hester or just tennis quick.....

Jumping with a 48' vertical like Jordan or 43' like Carter...

Probably not, he's athletic for his sport but if you compare him to other athletes, Nadal is no where near them....

It's kind of like Tiger Woods and Serena Williams, they have such a psychical edge over everyone in their respecitve sports, however, in other sports, they would be either average or underpar athletically.

There are always superior men in the respective disciplines but athelticsm is about you all-round package.

You really underrate the physical demands of Tennis. Nadal might not be the best at any of the categories, but he is one of the best all-round athletes. Walcott&Bolt are olympia fast, but at olympia there is only 100m. I know many Tennis players who sprint the 40yards as fast as NFL wide receivers. Nadal is probably more agile than Messi in terms of time he needs to radially alterate the direction of his body. Tennis is one of the sports which requires the highest agility cos you don't have to turn your entire body within millisecs. B I wanna see Messi or Walcott bench as much, beat Nadal in a marathon or leap as high. I wanna see Bolt doing a slalom run or a Marathon faster than Nadal. i wanna see Michael Jordan, Messi or anyone only doing the running of a 6 hours tennis match. Only Tennis players can stand the endurance to stand that sort of strain that long.On the other hand, Nadal would have no problem at all to play an entire Basketball or football match or playing receiver.

There are always superior men in the respective disciplines but athelticsm is about you all-round package.

You really underrate the physical demands of Tennis. Nadal might not be the best at any of the categories, but he is one of the best all-round athletes. Walcott&Bolt are olympia fast, but at olympia there is only 100m. I know many Tennis players who sprint the 40yards as fast as NFL wide receivers. Nadal is probably more agile than Messi in terms of time he needs to radially alterate the direction of his body. Tennis is one of the sports which requires the highest agility cos you don't have to turn your entire body within millisecs. B I wanna see Messi or Walcott bench as much, beat Nadal in a marathon or leap as high. I wanna see Bolt doing a slalom run or a Marathon faster than Nadal. i wanna see Michael Jordan, Messi or anyone only doing the running of a 6 hours tennis match. Only Tennis players can stand the endurance to stand that sort of strain that long.On the other hand, Nadal would have no problem at all to play an entire Basketball or football match or playing receiver.

In terms of pure and raw athleticism, not really. Raw athleticism isnt running a marathon for 5 hrs or swimming for 5 miles. I dont really understand how endurance/stamina equates to athleticism.

Endurance/stamina are more mental aspects, not pure athletic aspects of a person. Also, you say he would have no problem playin basketball or football, but thats where your wrong, He small, therefore he would have a problem playing both sports, unless he is Nate Robinson (who btw is an athletic freak).

You might as well include nascar drives too since I doubt most athletes can race like that.

In terms of pure and raw athleticism, not really. Raw athleticism isnt running a marathon for 5 hrs or swimming for 5 miles. I dont really understand how endurance/stamina equates to athleticism.

Endurance/stamina are more mental aspects, not pure athletic aspects of a person. Also, you say he would have no problem playin basketball or football, but thats where your wrong, He small, therefore he would have a problem playing both sports, unless he is Nate Robinson (who btw is an athletic freak).

You might as well include nascar drives too since I doubt most athletes can race like that.

Saying "Endurance is a mental aspect" is quite funny. Mo Farah is probably not a great long distance runner because he has the most powerful heart and lungs but he meditates the best and does the most brain training? so we might have to agree of disciplines of athleticism.

Football and Basketball are sports where skill is more important than size. my brother is professional basketball player and he is 1,80m and skinny. Still he plays in the first German League. You do not need to be too big to be an NFL wide receiver, still those are the best athletes among football players. Also there are professional point- and shooting guards who are smaller than Nadal. he is 1,85, 85kg, virtually no fat btw. so i would not call that small.

Athleticism for me is: Pace+Leap+agility+strength+coordination+endurance, the basic physical attributes of a mammal. An athlete has to be good in all of these. Some sports with long pauses and only short periods of actual physical action like Golf, Darts or American football hence have less all-round athletic demand for some sportsmen hence those tend to be less athletic. Yes American football. Those big linebackers are no great atheltes. They might be strong, but cant even run a 100m without going out of steam. Nor can they leap, turn around in less than 3s. On an American football field, most players need 1 min pause after 3 secs of actual play. Sports like MMA, Rugby, Tennis, Decathlon, Basketball however form amazing athletes cos u have to be show all those abilites at some point.

What is meant by athlete? Being very explosive is not very good in many sport... Bolt will be thrashed in 1-2km race by good Ethiopian runner like Bekele. Victoria Pendleton lose to Marianne Vos in a 20 km race.

I think it is cylist that have the better stamina than all other sport.. but for explosive power, I think it is basketballer or maybe Cristiano Ronaldo. Bolt can only run quick in straight line, give him something extra, like a ball to control and he will not be so good. Being the athlete is not only about how big your lung and heart and muscle are.

You look at Lance Armstrong and he was able to dominate one of the most difficult things people can do for years and even with steroids that takes incredible stamina, strength, etc...None of the people on your list could have done anything close to what he did.

He does not dominate... Tour de Francia is not the only race. This is like saying person who only wins Olympic Gold Medal but then does nothing in the sport rest of the four years is the dominater. Also he needed a very strong team to win.. US Postal in cycling 1999-2005 is like Barcelona 2008-12.... unbeatable. He is like Victor Valdes or Pique, good, but made very strong by the team. Stingray know more, I think, I do not follow cycling much after 1999 when Pantani get thrown out.

• 1 year later...

I always wondered what and who people outside of the United States considered the best athletes in the world...

For myself, I grew up playing basketball, than went to american football and now just do swimming in my spare time.....

Here are my top 5

1. Lebron James

2. Adrian Peterson

3. Russell Westbrook

4. Derrick Rose

5. Calvin Johnson

What I consider is only pure athletic attributes...

Jumping, agility, top speed, power, acceleration, etc...

Who and what are yours?

Lebron is out now....

1. Adrian Peterson

2. Odell beckham Jr

3. Russell Westbrook

4. Calvin Johnson

5. Jadeveon Clowney

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeRZuZDfR2Q