AC Milan - Opposition Views

CHOULO19

The guys over at MilanMania were very kind to answer a few questions ahead of our game against AC Milan tonight in the Guinness International Champions Cup. Here is what they had to say about the tie:

-First, how long have you been a Milan fan? And why did you choose the Rossoneri?

reza- Late 80s. For me it was several factors falling into place. One of my early football memories is Spain 82 which got transformed into love of Serie A and eventually Milan with the team that was built into the late 80s.
Nalx- Somewhere around 1988. Why did I choose Rossoneri? Couldn't help it, my dad is Milanista :D
ZvonimirBoban- Since 1998, I remember that that season we finished something like 10th, so I became a fan not because of something we won. It is just there, maybe it sounds cliche, but it really is just there, I love Milan for no reason :blush: . And one year later, we won the league
Aficio- Early 90s. I was just a kid then. The reason was maybe... fate Big Grin :D
-There were lots of rumors about Allegri leaving this summer, but the club finally decided to keep him. How do you rate the manager in general? And do you think the club made the right call?
reza- For the sake of stability it was the right choice, also remembering that the possible successors were unlikely to be inspired choices in themselves. Rating Allegri depends on one's point of view more than any other consideration, that is how you rate the 'squad at his disposal' arguments. I would struggle to give Allegri any lower or higher than B-/C+.
Nalx- I'm neither pleased nor disappointed with the club's decision. What he achieved last year after such huge turnover in the summer was admirable, yet somehow I feel that was the best that he could give. That's not entirely his fault because when he had top players like Ibra and Thiago Silva at his disposal, he did deliver a scudetto.
ZvonimirBoban- I feel he is OK. He built our current system, finish 3rd with very, very limited resources, both in budget and player quality. He has guts to promote youngsters to integral roles, something his several predecessors didn't have. He brought the best from El Shaarawy, made him from nothing into the young star we all know now, managed big egos such as Ibra, Balotelli, and Cassano, and we want to keep the stability of the team, so yeah, I'm pleased we keep him.
Aficio- I give Allegri a 8 in 10. With Milan's financial state and the lack of passion from Berlusconi, a 8 point manager is the right choice.
-Milan just about finished in third place last season, but you certainly finished the season on a high. What are your expectations for the upcoming season and how do you rate your title chances?
reza- Unless glaring weaknesses are addressed 2nd place is the ceiling.
Nalx- Certainly things don't seem as bleak as they did at this juncture last year. Sure opponents like Juve and Fiorentina have strengthened their squads, but with few additions like Honda or more lately Ljajic, and with a good start, I don't see why Milan can't win the league.
ZvonimirBoban- I expect us to at least finish 2nd, with our chances for scudetto I rate at 50:50 with Juventus.
Aficio- I expect the growing of youngsters more than some trophies which are quite difficult to get with this squad. 3rd in Serie A and quaterfinal in CL are my expectation for the team.
-Like most Italian teams, the transfer market has been a bit quite this summer for Milan. Do you like the business that your club has made in the market so far? And who would you like to bring in more?
reza- Austerity arguments fall a bit short for me, more can be done with the revenues available. The club does not need (early Abramovich) Chelsea type spending but equally it has not needed to cry poor as often as it has done and claimed to be.
Nalx- Those two names mentioned above although personally I think an excellent CB is more needed.
ZvonimirBoban- We can do more, obviously; but I feel all transfers we already did for now was rightly done. I'd like Honda to come sooner, and for addition I'd like a quality attacking midfielder (it's more like a wish).
Aficio- I like to control my finance tightly as I'm getting older, so I understand and sympathize for the way my club deals with the market. However, since being a fan is a very emotionally thing, I do like some crazy moves. Of course, not Bale-crazy, that's quite stupid.
-We’ve previously met in this competition back in 2009 (when still called the Football World Challenge) when Chelsea immerged as 2-1 winners. How important do you think the result is tomorrow? Is getting fitness levels up the only concern?
reza- Fitness and experience is most important. When I hear players not involved in summer international duty talk about tiredness - in July - I shudder.
Nalx- In pre-season, getting the new ideas (if any) across the team or trying to make new players gel is more important than the result. That's why the way Milan conceded five early goals against City should be taken much more seriously than the number itself or the difference in level of fitness between the two teams.
ZvonimirBoban- A lot has changed since 2009. I think there's more to the tomorrow game than just fitness, Chelsea is top team and we can test our quality.
Aficio- I don't think the result is important, as long as the goal margin is not greater than 2. I am not worried about fitness level, but the spirit of the team.
-Chelsea’s biggest signing of the summer is arguably Jose Mourinho who you obviously know from his time at Inter. What are your thoughts on the special one?
reza- A positive move! (see following question)
Nalx- An egomaniac, not exactly brilliant tactician that introduces something new, but really good at coaxing his players to give their 100% (that is until they're benched like Pepe).
ZvonimirBoban- Just briefly: I won't refuse him at Milan. He brings success wherever he goes.
Aficio- Well, he is special.
-How familiar are you with EPL and how do you rate Chelsea’s current squad of mostly young players? If you could have a single player from Chelsea at Milan, who would it be?
reza- EPL is king in Canada, I have watched more Chelsea matches than Milan matches on TV (streams don't count lol). Mourinho's return will be good if luck is also on your side. With Sir Alex gone the Man United sheen will wane as well. I'll take De Bruyne but not Torres please.
Nalx- Quite familiar since EPL was shown on TV often here. I don't know much about Chelsea young players like de Bruyne or that Traore kid but I did like what I saw from Lukaku with West Brom last season. If I have to pick one though it'll be Oscar. Hazard is slightly better but he predominantly moves from the left and we already have El Shaarawy there. Besides, at least until recently, we always have some Brasilian flavor in our team.
ZvonimirBoban- Very familiar, EPL is very popular in my country. I think you have the best set of attacking midfielders and keepers at the EPL. The best young talent IMO is Lukaku but we are already crowded with young potential or even worldclass forwards, so if I'd like to pick one it is an attacking midfielder (the one position I think we should strengthen): Oscar, Hazard, or Mata. I don't know... I'll pick Hazard, I think he'll be one of the most successful footballer in the world at the time of his prime.
Aficio- Frankly, I was more familiar with EPL than Serie A because EPL was broadcasted earlier in my country. I like Zola's Chelsea more than Abra's Chelsea (I also like Cantona's MU more than any versions). Hazard is the player I like, but I doubt his success in Serie A where there is much less space.
-Milan boast an array of young talents, especially in attack but who do you think is your most important player and who should we look out for in the match?
reza- Absences and injuries limit what you will see at this match. A sometimes struggling defense is further weakened, the attack will be the strength.
Nalx- Since this is just a friendly I wouldn't look too much into it. Right now Balotelli is without a doubt our best player but I don't know if he'll be fit enough to play. He caught a fever when he returned last week and missed one or two days of training.
ZvonimirBoban- For now, it's still Mario Balotelli. But when on fire, Stephan El Shaarawy. He does so much more than only scoring goals.
Aficio- Balotelli is surely the most important. However, I'm waiting for the youngsters like Petagna or K. Boateng.
-It’s only preseason, so the managers are likely to still be experimenting with teams, but what do you think are the lineup and formation that Allegri will use tomorrow?
reza- Can't be sure, a look at the last friendly vs Sao Paulo means not many are available for much of a variation from that game. Defense should feature Silvestre, newly arrived from Inter, though.
Nalx- Lots of youngsters and bench players, I guess, especially at the back.
ZvonimirBoban- Our backline is full of injury, 4 of our CBs are injured, so I tell you, you'll play against 3rd tier defense of us. Expect new signing Matias Silvestre and young, unproven Davide Pacifico at CB position. We seldom really chase victory at friendly, so maybe unfit De Jong and De Sciglio and Montolivo will be rested. My prediction:
Abbiati
Abate - Silvestre - Pacifico - Emanuelson
Nocerino - Poli - Muntari
Balotelli - Petagna - El Shaarawy
Aficio- I don't care about Allegri's idea. I just like the lineup in second half against San Paolo with many young players.
-Finally, please the result.
reza- Leaky defense, lots of goals.
Nalx- How about 3-0 for you guys and in return we can have Oscar on loan? :halo:
ZvonimirBoban- I'd call it 2-2. Or 3-2, I don't know who'll win.
Aficio- 2-1 for you. I think we are better than our brother Inter :D

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, been a while since we last had opposition views.

We had two for the Inter game :P

I really enjoy reading these Opposition Views.Great work again CHOULO19.

My pleasure mate. Glad you enjoy them :)

Nice idea...

Yeah, we do this for almost every game (depending on how busy I am).

Brother? I know a couple of Milan fans that would teach this guy a lesson in speaking about Inter, or Juve.

LOL, I know. But I think that his first language is not English, so I'm sure he didn't mean it as a term of endearment :lol: