How do you define technical ability?

Technical ability = control of the ball and the ability to play and pass off of both feet ,Mata is not strong on his right foot but his balance is such he can compensate and manoeuvre the ball on to his left side ,Terry ,Lampard and Hazard are the others who have great technique in our side .

The greatest technique of all was Zola great balance ,control and a deft touch.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah that's more or less what I'm talking about. Now what players from our squad would you say meet that criteria?

Juan Mata, Eden Hazard, Oscar, David Luiz, Cesar Azpilicueta, John Obi Mikel, Josh McEachran, Kevin De Bruyne imo are the best technical players we have. Possibly throw Nathan Ake in there, not seen a lot but being Dutch I'm guessing he was brought up in an academy that like most Dutch academies are based on improving technical abilities and ball retention.

• 6 months later...
"I can think of one particular exercise we've done at all three clubs. The players were doing it here very early on, and myself and Carlo just looked at each other. We couldn't believe the level," Clement says, his tone conveying the impact. "Chelsea had fantastic players but they were different: mature, powerful, very strong physically. Paris Saint-Germain had a mix of the old PSG and the new, and Ibra would do things that were just unbelievable, things I've never, ever seen before, but there was a big range. Here, from young players to old, the technique is so good. The thing I noticed from day one was that the execution is at a higher level. Much higher."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/12/paul-clement-english-coach-real-madrid

I know we've changed the squad massively since Clement's time but I still think we have a technique problem which explains why we play such rubbish football most of the time.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/dec/12/paul-clement-english-coach-real-madrid

I know we've changed the squad massively since Clement's time but I still think we have a technique problem which explains why we play such rubbish football most of the time.

It's no secret that our squad seriously lacked technical ability under Carlo, but it has definitely gone up with the likes of Mata, Eden, Oscar, Luiz..etc.

It's no secret that our squad seriously lacked technical ability under Carlo, but it has definitely gone up with the likes of Mata, Eden, Oscar, Luiz..etc.

Yeah we've changed the players but I still think it's an underlying issue that manifests itself especially against quality opposition when we park the bus plane and rely solely on the counter.

Even against the smaller teams - that we should blow away really - we lack precision and are very laboured/clumsy on the ball.

I would define technical ability as the ability to have the ball do exactly what you want it to do in every situation. Basically having complete control over it.

Whether that's giving an inch perfect pass or cross, finishing on goal, controlling a ball out of the air, running with the ball at full speed like it's glued to your feet, holding up the ball when your playing with your back to the goal, etc....

I would define technical ability as the ability to have the ball do exactly what you want it to do in every situation. Basically having complete control over it.

But that depends on what you want it to do, don't you think? I mean, I'm here on my couch and I want the ball in my closet to always sit still and not do anything and it does exactly that always. That means I have perfect technical ability! :yay::P

Yeah we've changed the players but I still think it's an underlying issue that manifests itself especially against quality opposition when we park the bus plane and rely solely on the counter.

Even against the smaller teams - that we should blow away really - we lack precision and are very laboured/clumsy on the ball.

Of course the lack of technical ability we suffer from is an underlying issue — or the excess of it, funnily enough. And that issue, in my book is listed as one of our major issues, because the shape it takes in our squad / on the pitch is really problematic : the squad is suffering from a dichotomy.

It is true — as you say we have changed our players and now we have what we can label as "technical players". Though, at the end of the day, those technical players are only paper over the cracks. Indeed — these players are basically Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Willan, de Bruyn and Luiz. It's six players and it happens that five of them are fighting for three spots ; so technically we are fielding a maximum of four technical players. And the most important thing there is that, in a nutshell, they are covering only a specific area of the pitch (~ advanced midfield) !!

If Barcelona could develop their style of play, that is not merely because they had Messi, Xavi and Iniesta — that is because all of their players matched their philosphy, i.e. knowing what to do with a ball at their feet. In defense they had/have Piqué, Puyol, Alvès and Alba which are better technically than our central midfielders ! They also had/have Mascherano and Éric Abidal, who despite not being that good with a ball at feet before joining Catalonia, improved their passing abilities in order to be good enough to be in symbiosis with the rest of the team. Jésus, even their defensive midfielder has the best short-pass game and one-touch passing game in the whole world.

Such a symbiosis cannot be found within our squad. There is a gap too important between the so-called technical players and the majority of the squad to implement a technical style of play. You can buy as many advanced midfielders as you want, it still will not work because they only can fill three spots out of 11 ; and if the other players are not up to it, it will be a failure and your playing style will not be cohesive.

That is also because of that dichotomy that we struggle to build our play and which we are clueless against the inferior teams that happily play for the draw and park the bus (in other words, the majority of the teams we encounter throughout the season). Look at our defense — lately, if I am not wrong, our defense has been Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry and Azpilicueta ... Ivanovic cannot make a pass to save his life ; he neither can take the ball out of the defense with the ball at his feet since he has no pace/drive nor dribbling ability. Cahill is no better than Ivanovic when it comes to passing. While Terry has a great accuracy in his passing game, he is now old and lacks mobility and quickness in everything he does ; therefore his passing game is more or less blunt. And Azpilicueta is a decent passer, though he is played on his wrong feet.

And then you have Cole who is nowadays in the same situation than Ivanovic — plus he would rather get shot than to use his right foot —, and Luiz who, despite all his good technical abilities, loses the ball too much because he tries to do X+1 dribbles and tends to totaly fuck up his long passes.

As a matter of fact, getting the ball out of the defense is a laborious and slow-made task. The building of the game is slowed down from the start. That's the reason why so many small teams are happy to seat deep and let our defenders having the ball : they will pass the ball between them all day long.

The central midfield is not there to improve things : Lampard, Mikel, Essien, and Ramires. That is a toothless and slow passing game between them. And they cannot make up for it since they do not have pace/drive or trickery. Only Ramires stand out — he is able to speed the game and bring the ball forward thanks to his pace and good dribbles. He also has a good passing game — though his decision-making does often fail him in this aspect of the game. In his case, it's ok — he does what is expected from him.

So, once the ball finally reaches the attacking midfielders, the opposition's defense is well organised and compacted ; giving to our attacking players no space to pass or go into.

To sum-up my comment, our defensive-minded players are set to play like Stoke City while our attacking players are set to play like Barça. Our defensive players or forced to play a game that does not fit their abilities ; they cannot throw randomly the ball forward because there is no Drogba to get it. It is like trying to put a square inside a round hole... We will have to take a clear decision in the upcoming mercatos — either to buy big, strong and powerful attackers or buy defensive players who can pass the ball. Of course it is okay to not have great passers at each and every spot — though, we cannot have a squad split in two dinstinctively different parts.

Of course the lack of technical ability we suffer from is an underlying issue — or the excess of it, funnily enough. And that issue, in my book is listed as one of our major issues, because the shape it takes in our squad / on the pitch is really problematic : the squad is suffering from a dichotomy.

It is true — as you say we have changed our players and now we have what we can label as "technical players". Though, at the end of the day, those technical players are only paper over the cracks. Indeed — these players are basically Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Willan, de Bruyn and Luiz. It's six players and it happens that five of them are fighting for three spots ; so technically we are fielding a maximum of four technical players. And the most important thing there is that, in a nutshell, they are covering only a specific area of the pitch (~ advanced midfield) !!

If Barcelona could develop their style of play, that is not merely because they had Messi, Xavi and Iniesta — that is because all of their players matched their philosphy, i.e. knowing what to do with a ball at their feet. In defense they had/have Piqué, Puyol, Alvès and Alba which are better technically than our central midfielders ! They also had/have Mascherano and Éric Abidal, who despite not being that good with a ball at feet before joining Catalonia, improved their passing abilities in order to be good enough to be in symbiosis with the rest of the team. Jésus, even their defensive midfielder has the best short-pass game and one-touch passing game in the whole world.

Such a symbiosis cannot be found within our squad. There is a gap too important between the so-called technical players and the majority of the squad to implement a technical style of play. You can buy as many advanced midfielders as you want, it still will not work because they only can fill three spots out of 11 ; and if the other players are not up to it, it will be a failure and your playing style will not be cohesive.

That is also because of that dichotomy that we struggle to build our play and which we are clueless against the inferior teams that happily play for the draw and park the bus (in other words, the majority of the teams we encounter throughout the season). Look at our defense — lately, if I am not wrong, our defense has been Ivanovic, Cahill, Terry and Azpilicueta ... Ivanovic cannot make a pass to save his life ; he neither can take the ball out of the defense with the ball at his feet since he has no pace/drive nor dribbling ability. Cahill is no better than Ivanovic when it comes to passing. While Terry has a great accuracy in his passing game, he is now old and lacks mobility and quickness in everything he does ; therefore his passing game is more or less blunt. And Azpilicueta is a decent passer, though he is played on his wrong feet.

And then you have Cole who is nowadays in the same situation than Ivanovic — plus he would rather get shot than to use his right foot —, and Luiz who, despite all his good technical abilities, loses the ball too much because he tries to do X+1 dribbles and tends to totaly fuck up his long passes.

As a matter of fact, getting the ball out of the defense is a laborious and slow-made task. The building of the game is slowed down from the start. That's the reason why so many small teams are happy to seat deep and let our defenders having the ball : they will pass the ball between them all day long.

The central midfield is not there to improve things : Lampard, Mikel, Essien, and Ramires. That is a toothless and slow passing game between them. And they cannot make up for it since they do not have pace/drive or trickery. Only Ramires stand out — he is able to speed the game and bring the ball forward thanks to his pace and good dribbles. He also has a good passing game — though his decision-making does often fail him in this aspect of the game. In his case, it's ok — he does what is expected from him.

So, once the ball finally reaches the attacking midfielders, the opposition's defense is well organised and compacted ; giving to our attacking players no space to pass or go into.

To sum-up my comment, our defensive-minded players are set to play like Stoke City while our attacking players are set to play like Barça. Our defensive players or forced to play a game that does not fit their abilities ; they cannot throw randomly the ball forward because there is no Drogba to get it. It is like trying to put a square inside a round hole... We will have to take a clear decision in the upcoming mercatos — either to buy big, strong and powerful attackers or buy defensive players who can pass the ball. Of course it is okay to not have great passers at each and every spot — though, we cannot have a squad split in two dinstinctively different parts.

Agreed 100% and this is what I was getting at by making the thread. It's so frstrating having some genuinely good attacking players that we're not fully taking advantage of because of both tactics and the technical skill of the players arouund them. I can't tell you just how frustrated Ivanovic makes me for instance. Mourinho seemgingly doesn't care about that so I don't see it changing any time soon.

Adding to this - we don't seem to be developing a clear philosophy either. Like you said, the way our team is set up is way too rigid - when we lose the ball all 11 players should be contributing towards winning it back in unison - when we win it all 11 players should be made available to make a decisive contribution in attack.

To this day I still can't believe we try to boot it up to the striker (especially when someone like Eto'o is up front) route one style, bypassing all of our most creative players. We aren't the machine we used to be, so why play like it? Our style of play needs to complement the players we have.

I will give my concept of technical ability: a player who knows how to treat the ball, knows how to control it. As a brazilian, its really hard to define this concept, I'm not saying the brazilian concept is better than the english one, or whatever, but for me players who you can put in this category:

*Mata

*Hazard

*Willian

*Oscar

*Luiz

*Ramires (that Barcelona goal says everything)

*Lampard (his technical ability are just awesome, was the perfect player for me when he was in his prime)

*Torres (the technic is there, but something is just lost forever)

*Azi

*Etoo (when he was on form)

*Ashley Cole

*KDB (he got the technical abilities, but you need more than that to be a Chelsea player).

There are some players with great aspects of their games, but they just dont have a lot of technical abilities:

*Terry

*Ba

*Schurlle

There are players with zero technical abilities. Guys that can barely shoot or pass, guys that you would never pick to play in your team in a friendly match, but somehow they just end up getting lots of money playing football in big european teams:

*Mikel

*Ivanovic

*Cahill