Post your Chelsea team

The season starts next weekend. I want to know who your strongest starting XI would be (and subs bench). Its the strongest team you think we have.

---------------Cech--------------

Azpi---Ivanovic---Terry---Cole

--------Lampard---Luiz---------

KdB---------Mata--------Hazard

-------------Lukaku---------------

Bench: Schwarzer, Cahill, Bertrand, Schurrle, Oscar, Ramires, Torres.

That leaves Moses, Ba, Mikel, Van Ginkel and Essien out of the squad

Thats was actually tougher than I thought it would be! I personally think Mourinho will play Torres ahead of Lukaku. Would probably give Terry and Lamps a reduced amount of time on the pitch. I think he would also play Luiz at CB and use Ramires at DM. Essien will probably play a fair bit in that role as well. KdB will probably start only a few games and probably used as a substitue mostly with Moses/Oscar seeing more time as a starter.

Im really happy with the quality of depth in our squad though. especially compared to last season.

Whats your Best XI in your opinion?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

---------------Cech--------------

Azpi---Ivanovic---Terry---Cole

--------Lampard---Luiz---------

KdB---------Mata--------Hazard

-------------Lukaku---------------

Bench: Schwarzer, Cahill, Bertrand, Schurrle, Oscar, Ramires, Torres.

That leaves Moses, Ba, Mikel, Van Ginkel and Essien out of the squad

Thats was actually tougher than I thought it would be! I personally think Mourinho will play Torres ahead of Lukaku. Would probably give Terry and Lamps a reduced amount of time on the pitch. I think he would also play Luiz at CB and use Ramires at DM. Essien will probably play a fair bit in that role as well. KdB will probably start only a few games and probably used as a substitue mostly with Moses/Oscar seeing more time as a starter.

Im really happy with the quality of depth in our squad though. especially compared to last season.

Cech

Azpi - Luiz - Ivanovic - Cole

Ramires - Van Ginkel

De Bruyne - Mata - Hazard

Lukaku

(You know the subs)

I like the look of this as a basic framework. Van Ginkel can rotate with Mikel and Essien to build in more defensive stability. De Bruyne can be replaced by Moses or Mata on the RW. Schürrle is an excellent doublure for Eden.

However, I think Mou will prefer someone like Oscar or even KDB in the n° 10 position, because Mata's work rate defensively is not top notch, and this is very important in Mou's tactics. Probably why he'd want Rooney as an extra option too (not only to play CF).

Cech

Azpi - Luiz - Ivanovic - Cole

Ramires - Van Ginkel

De Bruyne - Mata - Hazard

Lukaku

(You know the subs)

Most teams we'd play, we'd beat them with any of our starting XI because our quality is so much better than most teams, but this starting XI is incredibly vulnerable defensively to any side that can attack at all. We have 4 attackers-the best defensively of the group is Hazard who is poor. Add to that, we have no natural defensive midfielders starting and you have an imbalanced starting XI.You need players who are going to do the glory-free dirty work in the squad, not just attacking options. A lot of our problems in the last couple of years that have been attributed to the pivot have actually been because our attackers have been so awful at tracking back, our midfield has been isolated and outnumbered. This starting group of forwards would be even worse than that. You can't just attack, you need to also be mindful of defending and that means players who are aware defensively like Essien, Mikel, and Oscar getting into the starting XI.

Most teams we'd play, we'd beat them with any of our starting XI because our quality is so much better than most teams, but this starting XI is incredibly vulnerable defensively to any side that can attack at all. We have 4 attackers-the best defensively of the group is Hazard who is poor. Add to that, we have no natural defensive midfielders starting and you have an imbalanced starting XI.You need players who are going to do the glory-free dirty work in the squad, not just attacking options. A lot of our problems in the last couple of years that have been attributed to the pivot have actually been because our attackers have been so awful at tracking back, our midfield has been isolated and outnumbered. This starting group of forwards would be even worse than that. You can't just attack, you need to also be mindful of defending and that means players who are aware defensively like Essien, Mikel, and Oscar getting into the starting XI.

Excellent, mate. I agree with you on having a balance between defense and attack. But I would like to see that lineup one day (Oscar instead of Kevin or Juan would do) to see if they would find magic and be a great energetic and cohesive attacking force that can do well enough defensively. So hopefully Kevin would improve his defensive game because I think there's still a lot more to him than we already know. But with our current midfield options I don't see how Essien and Mikel would be an upgrade to Ramires and Van Ginkel. My biggest problem with Mikel is that he has issues going back to defend sudden counterattacks.. I've seen him, on multiple occasions, almost walking back while others are running as fast as they could.. and I think that is a major flaw defensively. Lamps and Essien on the other hand have their own issues considering they're being past their prime (I would love it if Essien proves me wrong though).

Edited by Volt-Age

I like two formations, and between then I think this 4-3-3 fits our players better.

4-3-3

Cech

Ivan - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Ramires - Van Ginkel

Oscar

Mata - Hazard

??*

4-2-31

Cech

Ramires - Van Ginkel

Kevin - Mata - Hazard

??*

*I'm really not convinced Lukaku should start for two reasons: 1) emotionally 2) technically

1) It's a lot of pressure on him to be the answer to our attacking issues. I think he has all the tools to be better for us than Torres, but I think we should be careful in how we make the transition. Watching his pre-season matches (in US), his match today for Belgium I think his age and immaturity are showing right now (and he was also sort of nervous in some of those matches) - and that's understandable because he's only 20. So I'd rather him to gradually become our first option rather than throw him to the lions and I'd be really surprised if Mourinho has a different plan (unless he's showing much more confidence in the training sessions - we never know what happens there and Mourinho has thrown players even younger than him in first squads in the past because of how confident they were in training sessions).

The same people that are so vocal about him now will bitch about him in a month if he feels the pressure and starts to perform badly. I've seen players never really recovery emotionally for things like that and others to take literally years. Why risk the boy? Let's not forget he's a boy.

If Eto'o comes, Samu is my starter for the rest of the season and it's much better for Lukaku to have Eto'o rather than Rooney. I think Roo could jeopardize this evolution I'm talking about. With Eto'o, Lukaku could start a few matches and it won't become a problem to Samuel whereas Rooney doesn't deal well with the bench. I'm not saying Eto'o >> Rooney, but I'm just looking at it from Lukaku's perspective and having to invest in the future I'd rather invest in Lukaku's rather than Rooney's. I'm not saying Rooney would ruin Lukaku's future either (sometimes people take our posts too extremely), I'm just saying one scenario benefits Romelu better than the other and out of all strikers we have and the ones linked to us now, Lukaku is still the best prospect in let's say two years from now and I favor his future over any of those other future's.

2) Because of his age and inexperience in a big team like Chelsea, he needs to improve a few areas, in addition to a few traits. Right now he's clumsy, raw, and sometimes too sloppy and really, really naïve. He needs experience and more practice imo. So I'd prefer him to have in Chelsea a similar season to what he had in West Brom, starting a few matches and coming as sub in all the rest. He's a must in the second half.

Those are the traits and in addition to those there are a few things in his game that he needs to improve. Of course he needs minutes to cement those improvements, which is why I think he should play all matches, but come from the bench the majority.

I like two formations, and between then I think this 4-3-3 fits our players better.

4-3-3

Cech

Ramires - Van Ginkel

Oscar

Mata - Hazard

??*

4-2-31

Cech

Ramires - Van Ginkel

Kevin - Mata - Hazard

??*

Of course this 4-3-3 is a better fit for us.

First of all, to echo what TorontoChelsea said two posts ago, your 4-2-3-1 is too weak defensively ; there's a lack of genuine defensive quality in the lot (especially within the front four). Hazard has improved his work-rate during the season though his defending is still not good ; de Bryune too isn't a very good defender ; Mata just cannot defend to save his life. And whoever the striker is, it won't improve the situation because, neither the ladyboy, Lukaku and Ba are good at defensive tasks. Moreover, when it's coupled with your unorthodox midfield-two, it's a recipe for disaster. The both of them are not genuine defensive midfielders ; there are more of the type "box-to-box" players. And because of this fact, one can imagine that this duo will lack of a defensive discipline and of a defensive rigor (especially for Ramires, in my opinion) which can lead to even more defensive shakiness.

We cannot afford to play with four front-men who are average at best when it comes to defensive duties and a midfield-two without a natural defensive midfielder. That's way too much holes in the defensive unit of our team. Firstly, against the big clubs, this 4-2-3-1 is a no-go. And secondly ; I am not even convinced that we could afford to play such a team against the lesser teams in the League. For a team which aims the title, all games are important (at different degrees of course, but all have an importance). With such a team, we could be vulnerable to any decent team attacking-wise, and to my eyes we would be so especially vulnerable on the cunter-attacks. Of course, we could play that line-up for the casual games, though we shouldn't play too much around...

Secondly, your 4-3-2-1 induces having a problem which has already hindered us the whole past season. Indeed, one of our major problems last season was the fact that our double-pivot was isolated ; and this could it be on defensive phases or attacking phases. Upon attacking phases, we lacked cohesion between the back-line and the frontline ; the transition between the two lines wasn't good. And, upon defensive phases, the pivot was permeable and vulnerable.

The players playing in this pivot were at fault, but only partly, unfortunately (yeah, it would have been too easy). That's obvious that we didn't have good enough players to play in there, but the way how the team was set-out didn't help them in the slightest. Indeed, if they were isolated upon attacking phases, that's also because there was no player before them to drop deep, to collect balls and to help the transition from back to front. And, if upon defensive phases the pivot was left exposed and thus vulnerable, that's because there was nobody before them to provide 'em a protection (or at least give them a hand in defensive duties).

It's neither Oscar nor Hazard that could have provided this help to the pivot, due to the fact they were on the wings and already busy with tasks upon these wings. The problem is the way the midfield-three was set. The player occupying the role of the n°10 was not truly playing like one. Indeed, Mata was playing more as a second-striker than an advanced midfielder (this also applies to the seldome times Hazard has played there). As a matter of fact, it resulted in a big hole in the center of the pitch..... Which is one of the major reason, in my opinion, that we were so easily losing the midfield-battle throughout the season. That hole in midfield meant no defensive cover for the two "defensive" midfielders ; and as well, no possibility to have a smooth transition between the defensive line and the attacking line.

So playing this formation will perpetuate this issue. At the contrary, with Oscar in front of the two "defensive" midfielders, such as in your 4-3-3 line-up, we should be significantly better in the midfield (defensive and attacking-wise). Not only the brazilian will provide that extra defensive cover, but he will also help a lot more in the building of the game (read : bringing the ball to the front). That's why we should favourite such a formation... Actually, it doesn't really matter whether it's a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1 — the important thing is that there's a third player in front of the two center-midfielders to help them.

P.S. Agree with your view regarding Lukaku.

Edited by Peace.

4-3-3

Cech

Ramires - Van Ginkel

Oscar

Mata - Hazard

??*

4-2-31

Cech

Ramires - Van Ginkel

Kevin - Mata - Hazard

??*

*I'm really not convinced Lukaku should start for two reasons: 1) emotionally 2) technically

1) It's a lot of pressure on him to be the answer to our attacking issues. I think he has all the tools to be better for us than Torres, but I think we should be careful in how we make the transition. Watching his pre-season matches (in US), his match today for Belgium I think his age and immaturity are showing right now (and he was also sort of nervous in some of those matches) - and that's understandable because he's only 20. So I'd rather him to gradually become our first option rather than throw him to the lions and I'd be really surprised if Mourinho has a different plan (unless he's showing much more confidence in the training sessions - we never know what happens there and Mourinho has thrown players even younger than him in first squads in the past because of how confident they were in training sessions).

The same people that are so vocal about him now will bitch about him in a month if he feels the pressure and starts to perform badly. I've seen players never really recovery emotionally for things like that and others to take literally years. Why risk the boy? Let's not forget he's a boy.

If Eto'o comes, Samu is my starter for the rest of the season and it's much better for Lukaku to have Eto'o rather than Rooney. I think Roo could jeopardize this evolution I'm talking about. With Eto'o, Lukaku could start a few matches and it won't become a problem to Samuel whereas Rooney doesn't deal well with the bench. I'm not saying Eto'o >> Rooney, but I'm just looking at it from Lukaku's perspective and having to invest in the future I'd rather invest in Lukaku's rather than Rooney's. I'm not saying Rooney would ruin Lukaku's future either (sometimes people take our posts too extremely), I'm just saying one scenario benefits Romelu better than the other and out of all strikers we have and the ones linked to us now, Lukaku is still the best prospect in let's say two years from now and I favor his future over any of those other future's.

2) Because of his age and inexperience in a big team like Chelsea, he needs to improve a few areas, in addition to a few traits. Right now he's clumsy, raw, and sometimes too sloppy and really, really naïve. He needs experience and more practice imo. So I'd prefer him to have in Chelsea a similar season to what he had in West Brom, starting a few matches and coming as sub in all the rest. He's a must in the second half.

Those are the traits and in addition to those there are a few things in his game that he needs to improve. Of course he needs minutes to cement those improvements, which is why I think he should play all matches, but come from the bench the majority.

Varane's a good example.